EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Efi carb convo

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 02:36 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

When your conversion is completed consider placement of parts in classifieds for a couple of bucks.
Stuff like:
fuel lines
engine temp sensor
throttle body w/ injectors
ecm

Old 01-18-2016, 02:49 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Out of curiosity, do the EFI equipped bikes come with the throttle lock thingy on the right hand controls?

Old 01-18-2016, 02:54 PM
Lakerat
Road Warrior
Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by flhchaz
I have done the same conversion on a 1998 Ultra Classic and it is worth while. I used the Ultima 53-644 ign and a an s&s super e. The hardest part is drilling the fuel lines out of the tank. I would suggest using a later model tank without the steel lines if you can.

I ended up going to a 9/16 drill bit from underneath, you have to be real careful not to booger up the threads, as you will need them for the pingel kit.

Let me know if you have any questions. I struggled with it at first (mostly the timing) but got it down now.
On my '98 Ultra I used the same components as you and as luck would have it, the coil lasted exactly 33 miles. Replaced the coil with a Crane and still came out ahead on the cost of other setups. I had zero issues with static timing per the instructions but never put a light on it. My only issue has been getting the cruise control to work, but I'm pretty sure I know how to fix that the next time I feel like raising the tank to get at a couple of wires. Performance and fuel mileage is equal with a little better throttle response than the MM.
Prices for carbed Anniversary tanks are price prohibitive for me or I would have certainly taken that route. To drill out the hole for the petcock, I used a cheap uni-bit from Harbor Freight that I ground the outside down to where only the 5/8" was left. Made it a bunch easier to control than a twist drill. The toughest part and most time consuming of the whole conversion was reaching inside the tank to cut the boss down so I would have a functioning reserve. It has @.8 gal on reserve and will drain all but about 1/4 cup now.

I really liked the EFI until it dropped a cylinder and no amount of money or knowledge available to me could fix it. The main reason I chose the S&S was because that's what I have on the FXR that has been flawless, plus extra tuning parts and only have to keep one air filter on hand.

Old 01-18-2016, 03:05 PM
flhchaz
Club Member
Received 1,285 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Lakerat
On my '98 Ultra I used the same components as you and as luck would have it, the coil lasted exactly 33 miles. Replaced the coil with a Crane and still came out ahead on the cost of other setups. I had zero issues with static timing per the instructions but never put a light on it. My only issue has been getting the cruise control to work, but I'm pretty sure I know how to fix that the next time I feel like raising the tank to get at a couple of wires. Performance and fuel mileage is equal with a little better throttle response than the MM.
Prices for carbed Anniversary tanks are price prohibitive for me or I would have certainly taken that route. To drill out the hole for the petcock, I used a cheap uni-bit from Harbor Freight that I ground the outside down to where only the 5/8" was left. Made it a bunch easier to control than a twist drill. The toughest part and most time consuming of the whole conversion was reaching inside the tank to cut the boss down so I would have a functioning reserve. It has @.8 gal on reserve and will drain all but about 1/4 cup now.

I really liked the EFI until it dropped a cylinder and no amount of money or knowledge available to me could fix it. The main reason I chose the S&S was because that's what I have on the FXR that has been flawless, plus extra tuning parts and only have to keep one air filter on hand.

The reason that I did the conversion is that my ECM died. I tossed the coil that came with the Ultima and put in a Dynatek dc6, bike ran like a champ, There was no way I was getting my hand to fit in the top of the tank, especially with a cutting tool! My bike was mystic green and black, didn't want to buy a tank and paint it. The 9/16 bit and a bit of "wiggle" i got the stubs down to about 1/2 inch or so.

Old 01-18-2016, 03:26 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,817 Likes on 3,319 Posts

Don't know if I would use the same tanks. My brother in-law just picked up a 6 gl set for $179.00, needs paint. Good choice of carb as well. The best thing about the conversion is that the 98 EFI cam is a little more aggressive than the N grind carbed cam. You Should be fine. I would also upgrade to the D2ki ignition and coil.. For the stock application in the E carb a good starting point would be intermediate .0295 and main .068 , Good luck man.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:41 PM
juiced03
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I did my 97 RK last year along with a cam upgrade. Glad I did it and bike runs well.
I drilled the lines from the outside and used a sleeve to protect the threads for the petcock and block off plug.
Used a Daytona twin tech ignition and Mikuni 42 carb.
Dig in and have fun. Enjoy the ride when complete.

Old 01-18-2016, 05:14 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,688 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by Plumbwader
Not to mention the Harley carb lope. That is an awesome sound that cant be duplicated with efi. I know that performance wise that is meaningless, but it sure sounds cool.
The lope can be duplicated with that M&M system, have done it with a band saw, die grinder and tig welder.

Make the change and don't look back, the M&M is fixable but a carb will out perform it all day long on a Evo

Old 01-18-2016, 05:29 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by 1997bagger
The lope can be duplicated with that M&M system, have done it with a band saw, die grinder and tig welder.

Make the change and don't look back, the M&M is fixable but a carb will out perform it all day long on a Evo
How in the hell did you get a band saw, die grinder and tig welder to sound like an EVO????????????

Old 01-18-2016, 05:48 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,817 Likes on 3,319 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
How in the hell did you get a band saw, die grinder and tig welder to sound like an EVO????????????
Right... I really need to hear this one....

Old 01-18-2016, 06:57 PM
RLH3175
Stellar HDF Member

Received 2,412 Likes on 905 Posts

I had the surging problem, followed the instructions in this video and have not had a problem since. I also added the Power Commander 5, the Power Commander Auto Tuner, and the Display with data logger. Now I can change exhaust/other mods, and not have to worry about the air\fuel ratio.

Quick Reply: Efi carb convo