EVO All Evo Model Discussion

How can I tell if there is issues with the ignition system?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 07:10 PM
Ozark Joe
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts
Default How can I tell if there is issues with the ignition system?

I have a guess a possible issue with the ignition system. However not sure if the cause of the persistent engine issue. So if the ignition system was failing what would be happening?

Old 01-27-2016, 07:29 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

How about you tell us what your bike is doing that causes you to think you have a problem?

Old 01-27-2016, 08:16 PM
Ozark Joe
Road Warrior

Hey Mike(THC) heres is those pics from the cone. I pulled off the cone cover and found this.

This what clued me into something has melted inside. Looked like plastic meted and ran down the cone.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:27 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Yep that looks burned to me.
There is no fixing it you have to replace it.

Old 01-28-2016, 05:37 AM
Kabear
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,752 Likes on 1,081 Posts

It is obvious that you need a new pick-up in the nose cone.

FWIW: An ignition problem will usually result in a "hard" miss at speed or under load, a fuel miss will usually result in a "soft" miss almost any time even at idle. I know this is kind of an ambiguous description, but is the best I can come up with.

Others on here will surely have their own "best description".

The reasoning: When a cylinder mis-fires the engine is still forced to push that piston over through the compression stroke, thus ignition. When it is a fuel problem there is always the chance that some fuel will enter the cylinder and produce a little push, not as much as demanded but a little help. Excess fuel entering the cylinder should be obvious with black smoke out the exhaust or fuel running out the air filter.

Old 01-28-2016, 01:29 PM
Ozark Joe
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Kabear
It is obvious that you need a new pick-up in the nose cone.

FWIW: An ignition problem will usually result in a "hard" miss at speed or under load, a fuel miss will usually result in a "soft" miss almost any time even at idle. I know this is kind of an ambiguous description, but is the best I can come up with.

Others on here will surely have their own "best description".

The reasoning: When a cylinder mis-fires the engine is still forced to push that piston over through the compression stroke, thus ignition. When it is a fuel problem there is always the chance that some fuel will enter the cylinder and produce a little push, not as much as demanded but a little help. Excess fuel entering the cylinder should be obvious with black smoke out the exhaust or fuel running out the air filter.
Sounds close to what I been experiencing,some type of misfire. Cause the bike seems to have a pause at firings or . It seem some times it will go cyl 1 then 2,1,1,2 something like that. Sounds crappy at decel. If i had a tape recorder so ya'll could hear,it would be obvious. However above is the best explanation I can give.

I'm hoping that this cam sensor is what is part of the cause. Going to clean the carb this weekend so that may help too.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:35 PM
Kabear
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,752 Likes on 1,081 Posts

Don't forget to check and make sure the trigger cup behind the pick-up is secure and properly seated/indexed.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:09 AM
RetLT
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joe I'm have the same issue with the melted plastic out of the cone. I've seen the part listed by a couple of different names on different sites. Have you replaced it yet?

Old 02-04-2016, 03:19 AM
Ozark Joe
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by RetLT
Joe I'm have the same issue with the melted plastic out of the cone. I've seen the part listed by a couple of different names on different sites. Have you replaced it yet?
Waiting for the tax man to get of his a$$ to get it replaced.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:59 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Originally Posted by Calamity Joe
I'm hoping that this cam sensor is what is part of the cause. Going to clean the carb this weekend so that may help too.
Best to do one thing at a time! Changing that pickup is a good idea and may transform your bike. Some years ago I had problems, with what initially was a simple misfire, but over a year or so got steadily worst, before finally failing - in the outside lane of a major highway! Well worth fixing before that happens - I had to be rescued by the Police.

Quick Reply: How can I tell if there is issues with the ignition system?