EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Red Shift Cams

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 11:17 PM
Tony_N
Road Master
Received 252 Likes on 175 Posts
Default Red Shift Cams

I'm having a rebuild done on the 91 Heritage and doing some upgrades at the same time. Cases had to be split to fix the oil leak. Indy found that the previous owner messed up the nut on the pinion shaft. Using the Jims tool, it wouldn't come loose. Indy had to machine the Jims tool down to weld it on the nut to get it off.

I know on a lot of the Evo rebuilds the EV27 and Woods W6 are popular. My Indy brought up Zipper's Red Shift as an option. Looking at Zipper's site they use the 559 in their 80/80 kit. Any other thoughts on other Red Shift cams?

I ride solo, do riding in the city, mountains and highway.

With this rebuild we are going with:
Cylinders bored .020 over
KB 9.5:1 Forged Pistons
Heads ported and polished
1.900″ intake valves
1.610″ exhaust valves
Beehive springs
New Lifters
Adjustable pushrods
S&S breather gear
Daytona TwinTec Ignition

Currently have:
Ness Big Sucker Stage I Air Cleaner
CV Carb
Rush 6020ST Pipes

Thanks,
Tony

Old 01-30-2016, 05:42 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,792 Likes on 3,303 Posts

Not sure about the ramp up on Redshift cams and that cam would require much more than 9.5:1 with a 46* intake close and it's not a bolt in cam, like the w6 which is.

For the same cost put the motor to 10:1 and do the ev27 or w6. I think both of those cam's will yield more low end and top end than the 559.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:00 AM
nottaway
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id make sure the headwork has been matched to the cams you choose.

What cam has the head guy used with good success? There is a lot of magic in having a set of heads completely setup for a particular cam or cam of similar specs. More than just compression and valvespring setting to it. Lots of variable flow characteristics depending on lift, rpm, throttle position, etc.

IOW take his recommendation under serious consideration. Ive heard good things on the W6 not familiar with the 559 tho. Red Shift is good stuff, matched with heads it should do what they claim.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:32 AM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,814 Likes on 1,759 Posts

Why KB pistons? I take it that your getting the hypereutectic pistons.
Getting the KB's because of price?

I would get forged Wisecos or even the sceamin eagle cast before the KB eutectic's.

Hypereutectics are designed to expand the same as the cylinder sleeve and run really tight piston to wall clearances, that works better in a water cooled stock use engine.
They bottle up heat in the combustion chamber and you have to run the ring end gaps wider, they also place the ring groove lower on the piston, and they tell you to drop the timing a few degrees.

They are soft and brittle and don't stand up to detonation well, not to mention they help cause detonation.

I get the supposed advantages, but it doesn't sound good to me for a performance air cooled Evo build.

Pistons is one area to not skimp because of price.

Old 01-30-2016, 06:16 PM
Tony_N
Road Master

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Not sure about the ramp up on Redshift cams and that cam would require much more than 9.5:1 with a 46* intake close and it's not a bolt in cam, like the w6 which is.

For the same cost put the motor to 10:1 and do the ev27 or w6. I think both of those cam's will yield more low end and top end than the 559.
Thanks Bob...my Indy would clearance the case for the 559 if that's what I decide to go with. Zipper's replied today and thinks that by going with larger valves and increasing the cc volume of the heads I may not have enough compression to realize the full benefit of the 559.

I'll probably stick with the EV27.

Originally Posted by Schex3x
Why KB pistons? I take it that your getting the hypereutectic pistons.
Getting the KB's because of price?

I would get forged Wisecos or even the sceamin eagle cast before the KB eutectic's.

Hypereutectics are designed to expand the same as the cylinder sleeve and run really tight piston to wall clearances, that works better in a water cooled stock use engine.
They bottle up heat in the combustion chamber and you have to run the ring end gaps wider, they also place the ring groove lower on the piston, and they tell you to drop the timing a few degrees.

They are soft and brittle and don't stand up to detonation well, not to mention they help cause detonation.

I get the supposed advantages, but it doesn't sound good to me for a performance air cooled Evo build.

Pistons is one area to not skimp because of price.

Schex I'm not going with the Hypereutectics...haven't heard good things about them. My indy uses Carillo and KB forged pistons. He said he likes the KB forged over the Wiseco because of their ring pack? He's going with the KB920.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:29 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony_N
Schex I'm not going with the Hypereutectics...haven't heard good things about them. My indy uses Carillo and KB forged pistons. He said he likes the KB forged over the Wiseco because of their ring pack? He's going with the KB920.
FWIW I went with the Hypereutectics and haven't had any problems yet.
10k miles or so.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:36 PM
Tony_N
Road Master

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
FWIW I went with the Hypereutectics and haven't had any problems yet.
10k miles or so.
Glad to hear it THC.

From what I've read the issues with the Hypereutectics has to do with ring gap, timing, running lean and detonation.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:40 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Glad to hear it THC.

From what I've read the issues with the Hypereutectics has to do with ring gap, timing, running lean and detonation.
None of that here.

They were recommended to me by some other people (no one on the forum) I had no idea they were so bad.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:58 PM
Tony_N
Road Master

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
None of that here.

They were recommended to me by some other people (no one on the forum) I had no idea they were so bad.
Sounds like you got it set up right.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:45 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Sounds like you got it set up right.
So far so good.

Quick Reply: Red Shift Cams