EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Production Numbers.... what figure constitutes rare ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 11:09 AM
AlbaGuBrath
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And to reiterate ... My interest in any of this is purely from a historical data point of view ... I'm a history buff and could spend hours looking through documents that others would find mundane... To me the old girl represents the bike that was out of reach when a young lad of 16 was putting around on an old '74 XLCH with the right side toe shift getting Ribbed incessantly by my buddies because my 6' 3" 240 pound frame looked like a monkey on a football on that old iron head and they all had the latest and greatest ( to them) Yamaha Vmax. Just takes me back in time is all

I still look out of place on the Convertible lol

Old 02-11-2016, 03:38 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

When it comes to my 1986 FXWG(only approx 700 produced) ,I will consider it somewhat rare until I actually see another in person. I know there are a couple here on the forum.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:04 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Want to know rare? My 96 FXDS came in violet pearl, but it wasn't a color for that year. The only dyna that came in that color for 96 was the FXDL, and these aren't take off parts either. I still need to call HD and see if this was a custom build... but I don't care that much. The paint is in horrible condition at this point.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:23 PM
AlbaGuBrath
Advanced

Originally Posted by tmanbuckhunter
Want to know rare? My 96 FXDS came in violet pearl, but it wasn't a color for that year. The only dyna that came in that color for 96 was the FXDL, and these aren't take off parts either. I still need to call HD and see if this was a custom build... but I don't care that much. The paint is in horrible condition at this point.

Like Panz4ever alluded to in a post above , there was the custom paint shop ... Could be yours rolled out of there ?
The Customer Service people were extremely helpful and very polite when I called with VIN in hand ... You've probably got it but here's the number for you friend : (414) 343-4056.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:28 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by AlbaGuBrath
Like Panz4ever alluded to in a post above , there was the custom paint shop ... Could be yours rolled out of there ?
The Customer Service people were extremely helpful and very polite when I called with VIN in hand ... You've probably got it but here's the number for you friend : (414) 343-4056.
Thanks. I may give them a call soon.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:25 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,513 Likes on 5,464 Posts

My personal belief is that the FXDS-C was a big flop like the Edsel lol hence the low production numbers...
Rare by itself has no effect on value...to increase the value it has to be rare, and sought after. Lots of models are rare because no one wanted them when they were new. For example...some of the lowest EVO production numbers out there will be bikes with California emissions...do you think someone will pay extra?

Old 02-11-2016, 07:48 PM
AlbaGuBrath
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
Rare by itself has no effect on value...to increase the value it has to be rare, and sought after. Lots of models are rare because no one wanted them when they were new. For example...some of the lowest EVO production numbers out there will be bikes with California emissions...do you think someone will pay extra?
Nope... And I have taken a few opportunities to express that the original intrest sparked was not at all based on intrinsic or implied value as we all know that the value of 99% of material goods are subjective and the other are commodities lol...

The 1963 split window corvette was an abysmal failure for Chevrolet ... As were Hemi Belvederes for Chrysler and the list goes on ... Yet today they bring big money ...

That won't happen here ... In my case I'm just happy to have a bike that's had less people on it than my Ex Wife lmao 😎

Old 02-11-2016, 08:23 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,513 Likes on 5,464 Posts

The 1963 split window corvette was an abysmal failure for Chevrolet
Really?

21,513 units would be built for the 1963 model year, which was up 50 percent from the record-setting 1962 version. Production was divided almost evenly between the convertible and the new coupe - 10,919 and 10,594, respectively - and more than half the convertibles were ordered with the optional lift-off hardtop. Nevertheless, the coupe wouldn't sell as well again throughout the Sting Ray years.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:26 PM
AlbaGuBrath
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
Really?

21,513 units would be built for the 1963 model year, which was up 50 percent from the record-setting 1962 version. Production was divided almost evenly between the convertible and the new coupe - 10,919 and 10,594, respectively - and more than half the convertibles were ordered with the optional lift-off hardtop. Nevertheless, the coupe wouldn't sell as well again throughout the Sting Ray years.
There was no option that year for a non split window coupe... So, by default , you wanted a coupe you got the split , a single year production that Zora Duntov and the automotive press hated stating that " the blind spot was large enough for a Harley Davidson Motorcyle to get lost behind" there are urban legends of some owners taking the cars to Chevy dealers to have the divide removed ...

I suppose that if HD announced in 2017 that thered be only one bagged model built Street Glide in Big Bird yellow with a 124 inch 130hp 10 year warranty power plant available that year there would be a run on Streetglides the likes of which we've never seen... Doesn't take much to believe that the first year Stingray( and first year for a coupe ) would sell regardless of perceived flaws to the niche corvette owner ... As probably would the 1st Year Nuclear Banana 130hp ten year warranty SG ... I appreciate your input and intrest ... Great points of view and perspective from everyone ...

Last edited by AlbaGuBrath; 02-11-2016 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:34 AM
flhchaz
Club Member
Received 1,286 Likes on 499 Posts

lots of people removed the "divide" and put '64 glass in them, one of the reasons that you don't see all that many of them (at least around here)

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Larry (10-27-2018)

Quick Reply: Production Numbers.... what figure constitutes rare ?