EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Production Numbers.... what figure constitutes rare ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 09:03 AM
AlbaGuBrath
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Production Numbers.... what figure constitutes rare ?

Hello Everyone !
I've always been the type to want to find out as much as I could about a vehicle . While searching for information about production numbers, I ran across a thread here on the forums where a member called The Motor Company and was able to obtain fairly detailed information from Customer Service for his ride. I decided to follow suit....

The information was almost at the fingertips of the rep that helped me and the info I received from them about my '96 FXDS-Convertible was surprising to say the least ...

It appears as if I am the proud owner of 1 of 254 built world wide in States Blue Pearl... I even asked them to repeat the info as I though that I'd heard them incorrectly ...

Now... Please don't take this the wrong way at all as it is not meant to be a disparaging remark at all but a reflection of the fact that I am a firm believer in " The only dumb question ( within reason) is the one you don't ask , so here goes:

How reliable do y'all think the production info archived at Harley Davidson is ?

In your experience, is a production number that low considered rare for Harley Davidson?

Thanks for any reponses comments ideas or contradicting information in advance .... I don't ever plan to sell her so I could care less if it added any monetary value , but being a history nerd , it would be a nice conversation piece among friends now and friends made later down the road ...

Appreciate y'alls time. Paul

EDIT: 1 of 254 FXDS-Convertibles built States Blue Pearl
Not Total States Blue Pearl production for 1996. Just to clarify

Last edited by AlbaGuBrath; 02-07-2016 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 02-07-2016, 10:05 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Well, think a better question to them would be....what was the total number of FXDS- Conv produced for that year.

There were 22 different variations of all models for '96 and a total of 119,000 units for that year. It is not that you have a low production number, it is as you said, yours is one of 254 in that color. It would be interesting to research and find what other color options were available, and how many of each color were done. And then there is the Custom Color Shop as well which would be a bit more rare because most folks do not take advantage of it due to cost.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:36 AM
AlbaGuBrath
Advanced

Originally Posted by panz4ever
Well, think a better question to them would be....what was the total number of FXDS- Conv produced for that year.

There were 22 different variations of all models for '96 and a total of 119,000 units for that year. It is not that you have a low production number, it is as you said, yours is one of 254 in that color. It would be interesting to research and find what other color options were available, and how many of each color were done. And then there is the Custom Color Shop as well which would be a bit more rare because most folks do not take advantage of it due to cost.
I , for one, never even knew a custom color shop existed so that goes to show how correct you are ... My plan is to call back on Monday and go through it again writing things down and possibly acquiring the documentation ( just for informations sake) about mine specifically ... may be that The Motor Company has services much like the Pontiac Historical Society does and will be able to send me the " build sheet " specific to my scoot... Thanks so much for your input... Researching stuff makes this years unpredictable winter in Ohio much more tolerable

Old 02-07-2016, 01:58 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

the only time i found an evo had a following was when a guy who want to buy one we had for sale, thought it was a special one and we held firm on the price and sold it, if not he would have got it for less

a few have a pull not many shovel and early evo FXRs have a want about them

FXWG evo 4 speed / and the first softails seem to have a bunch looking for them

the moo bikes and alike not so much still some think they are the cats ***

if you fine a guy who has to have a one of blue dont hesitate

Old 02-08-2016, 02:29 AM
Hebrew Battle Rifle
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

When I read "rare" in a sales ad I always think of a little boy running through the house imitating the sound of a tiger.

Just as a rule of thumb: If it came off of an assembly line in the last 50 years it isn't rare.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Larry (10-27-2018)
Old 02-08-2016, 08:45 AM
AlbaGuBrath
Advanced

It's more more conversation than anything like I stated earlier ... Granted it's not a " one of one " as in the only 69 1/2 Trans Am convertible produced with a blue top.. My personal belief is that the FXDS-C was a big flop like the Edsel lol hence the low production numbers...

Harley is sending me the Build Data on my VIN free of charge along with the total numbers

Total FXDS-C production in 1996 was 1,748 bikes

Of these only 172 were States Blue Pearl with striping
She will never make the Barrett Jackson or Mecum million dollar auction but two things give me a little chuckle when I throw my leg over the bike ....

#1. She's an Evo
#2. There are more people on Black Street Glides at my local bike night than there are these in the world ...lol
Thanks for the responses again and my friends appreciate your taking the time ...

Old 02-08-2016, 09:58 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

Well I understand the sentiment of having a unique item, especially a Harley. Keep in mind that rare just means short supply. It does not necessarily correlate to value.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:09 AM
AlbaGuBrath
Advanced

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
Well I understand the sentiment of having a unique item, especially a Harley. Keep in mind that rare just means short supply. It does not necessarily correlate to value.
Absolutely agree! Beauty and value are solely in the eyes of the beholder on these type things ...

Old 02-08-2016, 10:30 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Originally Posted by Hebrew Battle Rifle

Just as a rule of thumb: If it came off of an assembly line in the last 50 years it isn't rare.
So by your rule of thumb a 65 FLH is rare, but just barely (just under 7K units produced). And then there are the 66-69 FLH models that came to about 7K units per year. Maybe that was a lot at the time, maybe they are not rare but I sure don't see many on the road anymore, and I sure do not see that many that are stock or which have been properly restored (chrome ****** not allowed).

Then we could get into the first couple of years of the Super Glide (boat tail models, but not rare by your sentiment).

Lastly, granted the model it self is not rare but the paint job and number painted were....the 1976 Harley Liberty Editions as well as the Confederate Edition (don't remember the year).

Old 02-08-2016, 10:49 AM
AlbaGuBrath
Advanced

Originally Posted by panz4ever
So by your rule of thumb a 65 FLH is rare, but just barely (just under 7K units produced). And then there are the 66-69 FLH models that came to about 7K units per year. Maybe that was a lot at the time, maybe they are not rare but I sure don't see many on the road anymore, and I sure do not see that many that are stock or which have been properly restored (chrome ****** not allowed).

Then we could get into the first couple of years of the Super Glide (boat tail models, but not rare by your sentiment).

Lastly, granted the model it self is not rare but the paint job and number painted were....the 1976 Harley Liberty Editions as well as the Confederate Edition (don't remember the year).
I think 77 was the Confederate Edition year offered across all models ...

Quick Reply: Production Numbers.... what figure constitutes rare ?