EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Changed out that failing Cam Sensor today.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 09:46 PM
Ozark Joe
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Changed out that failing Cam Sensor today.

Well I am happy to report that the cam sensor change workout so far... I haven't test rode it yet(been sick for a couple of days now). She fired up ok. However hope that the prior probs are gone.Turns out the job wasn't as difficult as I had thought. I say about an hour to 1 1/2,granted being my first time. I cam out ahead with a cone gasket I didn't need.
The only thing is the part was different in number. I had 32448-95A but the dealership sold be a B. Hope that this tiny variation won't effect much.

So far I have installed a battery tender.Replaced the cam sensor. Will be changing the oil,primary oil,and trans fluid hopefully by this weekend (depending how I'm feeling). The master cylinder rebuild is next after fluid change.

Now I had plan on doing fork fluid change with the bike on a jack but ran into an issue with the jack I bought over the weekend. I had gotten a Craftman red bike jack but there is a clearance issue. The jack is 5 1/4- 5 1/2 in from floor to top of the pads that go under the bike when down. The bike has been lowered by a PO to 3 -3 1/2 in from the ground. So in essence I'm 2-3 inches to short on the bike.
So now I may have to take jack back an consider something different. However that leaves me with figuring a workaround to changing fork oil.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:57 PM
apples402
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

good job, hope it helps the problem. Concerning the jack, can you run the front or rear tire up on a 2x8 or similar board for more clearance?

Old 02-09-2016, 10:03 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

That change in letter probably has to do with the new goop they put over the pick up. It's pretty stout and won't melt off like the old crap will.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:04 PM
Ozark Joe
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by apples402
good job, hope it helps the problem. Concerning the jack, can you run the front or rear tire up on a 2x8 or similar board for more clearance?

Didn't think of that. I wished I can find a pair of steel car ramps(the type used by mechanics). Unfortunately the only ones available in my area are plastic.

Last edited by Ozark Joe; 02-09-2016 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:08 PM
Ozark Joe
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by tmanbuckhunter
That change in letter probably has to do with the new goop they put over the pick up. It's pretty stout and won't melt off like the old crap will.
Yeah the teflon in the old one is beige, the new one is black.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:32 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Do you have lowering blocks at the swingarm?

Old 02-09-2016, 11:36 PM
Ozark Joe
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Beemervet
Do you have lowering blocks at the swingarm?
Honestly don't know but I do know the bike is like 1-2 in lower that the road king I sat in at a dealer ship near the same year. She does set low to the ground that for sure.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:44 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 601 Posts

If you look at the mounting for the rear shocks...at the bottom bolts....then you will know if blocks were used to lower rear end.
If blocks were used, consider removal since they have a tendency to introduce greater stress on the swingarm in that model frame.
You may wish to consider review of wire loom for damage in rear fender if bike has been lowered.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:56 PM
Ozark Joe
Road Warrior

Here is what the rear right looks like.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:12 AM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,814 Likes on 1,759 Posts

Joe, this is a picture Bumpandrun posted just a few days ago, keep an eye on that area of the swingarm, lowering blocks or not.

The swingarms are known to break , lowering blocks increase the chance of breaking.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...-swingarm.html

Quick Reply: Changed out that failing Cam Sensor today.