EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Replacing plug wires

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 01:37 PM
bigpappa160
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Replacing plug wires

Hey everyone, I'm got new plug wires for my 91 Ultra Classic. I was going to replace them this morning but I found that the coil is under the front of the gas tank and the rear plug wire, looks like it runs down the center of the tank. Now the short wires I could probably change, but its still a tight fit. I do have a manual, but any helpful hints on changing plug wires?

Old 02-12-2016, 01:54 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,706 Likes on 1,343 Posts

It's not critical. Just run the new ones like the old ones. Doesn't even matter what post on the coil goes to what spark plug (stock ignition).

Old 02-12-2016, 02:07 PM
bigpappa160
Road Captain

When I undo the rear gas tank bolt and loosen the top bolt can I just swing the gas tank up to get to the wires?

Old 02-12-2016, 02:22 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member

Yup:

Old 02-12-2016, 02:36 PM
bigpappa160
Road Captain

Nice picture, what you doing there?

Old 02-12-2016, 03:35 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member

Pulling the head off behind the motel in Pierre, S.D. I had a crack in the exhaust pipe. It's complicated.

In your case, as you are replacing the plug wire, why not just run the new wire under the frame. Cut one end off the old wire and pull it out from the other side. You shouldn't even have to lift the tank.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:27 PM
rk1997
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When I did mine I tried lifting the tank up but I just didn't have enough room to manage the little metal clips that holds the wires to the frame how I wanted to so I just took the tank off. That's a job I know dealing with the fuel crossover line, the crimp type clamps, and the gas. But its not too bad I guess.

Removing the tank creates a great opportunity to really shine up the top of the engine. So there is a bright side to doing it that way.

Good luck

Old 02-17-2016, 05:16 PM
bigpappa160
Road Captain

Ok, gentlemen, sorry it's taken this long to post results. I had to disconnect fuel line from petcock to carb to get the rear of the tank propped up. So I took a 2x4 and a Hammet put it under the rear of tank so I could get the rear wire out of bracket. Put New wires on, then change spark plugs put new ones in. Then I decided to check a/c filter took cover off, yep dirty cleaned and oiled that but couldn't put it back in, weather went to crap. put hyper charger cover back on, put cover on bike, took oiled filter to shed wrapped it in a towel. I'll put that in friday morning before work so I can ride it to work. I hope after new wire, plugs and cleaning air filter get a little more MPG on bike.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:04 PM
bigpappa160
Road Captain

Update time!!!! Went out this morning and put filter and cover back on the hypercharger. It started up like a charm. Rode it to work, ride was smooth. What I have noticed replacing spark plugs and wires is I don't need to use the enricher after riding the bike for 30 min or more, example is, I pulled out enricher to start bike once started pushed it in half way, back it out from under gazebo and rode it the driveway. Let it idle for about 2-3 min. Then I shut it off so I could get thing together to go to work. Came back out and with no enricher pulled it started right up, no cutting off or anything. Then it takes me about 30 mins to get to work, but had to go by clinic to get wife's meds, which it took probably 20 mins, came back out to bike put jacket and gear on, pressed start switch with no enricher pulled and BAM started right up. Same thing when I went to commissary. Now when I had the old plugs and wires on bike I would have to use the enricher everytime I tried starting bike. It didn't matter if I let the bike sit for 10 mins or 2 hrs. So my plug and spark plug wore replacement job is finished. I think my next project when I get another long weekend is pull front fairing off and checkout the fuses for the turn signals and the cruise control. When I had the bike in for carb recall I had them check turn signals out because they would work sometimes then wouldn't other times. Well, it's doing the same thing but not as often. The hd shop said they clean the contacts because they said they were green and had some corrosion on them. But I'll keep ya'll updated. Thanks for all the Help with answering my questions on the plug wires.

Old 02-19-2016, 03:01 PM
IBDAGRIZ
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 162 Posts

I had intermittent problems with signals also on my 94 ultra. Swapped out controls thinking it was my extending the harness that caused it. Turned out to be the turn signal module on the right fork tube in the front fairing. Luckily it could be swapped from the outside of the fairing on mine.

Cured it right up.

Griz

Quick Reply: Replacing plug wires