EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Wilwood GP310 Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 03:06 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts
Default Wilwood GP310 Calipers

Decided a few days ago to go ahead and bite the bullet, so I picked up a pair of Wilwood GP310 calipers for the Electra Glide. Just got back from my first test ride

They go on easy enough. Wilwood advertises these as a "direct, bolt on" fit, and that's what I liked about them. I considered finding some takeoffs from a sport bike, but decided I'd rather spend a few extra bucks to avoid having an extra bracket.

They do in fact bolt right on...once you get the correct bolts, which Wilwood does not include. What you need are two 3/8" x 16TPI x 1" bolts (per caliper). I ended up running over to Lowes to get some. Bolts in hand, the install is a snap. I didn't need to lift the bike or pull the front wheel.

These things are exceptionally nice. I got the "polished" finish. They look like jewels sitting on the bike.

HUGE GRIPE: Bleeding these things is a royal PITA! The bleed screws sit inboard, behind the caliper. With the fender on, it was next to impossible to get a wrench on there to get them bled. Totally sucks. What I ended up using was a tiny ratchet wrench and I could get maybe 15 or 20 degrees (at most) of "throw" even with that. I got them bled as good as I could for now, lever is reasonably firm, but I'm guessing there might be a few bubbles working their way to the top. I'll go back and re-bleed after a day or two.

The performance difference is impressive. You still aren't going to think you are on a sport bike, but compared to the stockers, dramatic improvement. All told, I'd call these a winner.

Couple of odds and ends:

- If anyone wants the stock take-offs, let me know. They're yours for the asking.

- In the middle of all this, I also replaced the rubber bushings on the exhaust hangers. The old ones were hard as rocks. The new ones were nice and squishy. Maybe it's my imagination (or expectation bias), but that seems to have smoothed things out quite a bit.

- When I was a kid, my dad had a '47 Plymouth he inherited from one of his uncles. That thing never ran right. One day, he spent all day working on the brakes. Called us over to pile in the back as he drove it around the block. Naturally, the brakes failed going down a hill in the neighborhood, and we ended up blasting over a curb and into the field next to my grade school. I was thinking about that the first time I tested these new brakes going down a hill.

The following users liked this post:
bentparts (11-24-2019)
Old 04-02-2016, 03:33 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,698 Likes on 1,153 Posts

Always nice when the brakes work good.

Bleeding them can be a pia. Ya may know to tie the brake lever back and let side over nite. Sure has helped me a few times.

Congrats

WP

Old 04-02-2016, 03:38 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Congrats, but where are the pics?!

Old 04-02-2016, 04:02 PM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Beemervet
Congrats, but where are the pics?!

Old 04-02-2016, 04:22 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member

I'll get some pics up in the next few days.

Cheers!

Old 04-02-2016, 04:39 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,902 Likes on 17,471 Posts

Sweet I'm running the same set chromed and man those puppies are a serious upgrade over stock and yeah the bleeder are bit of a bitch.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:33 PM
BigUglyMan
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by WP50
Always nice when the brakes work good.

Bleeding them can be a pia. Ya may know to tie the brake lever back and let side over nite. Sure has helped me a few times.

Congrats

WP
I ran into that advice somewhere on here the other day. I was having a real bitch of a time bleeding the front brakes on my King. Got 'em pumped up and bungeed and buggered off. Wen back a couple of days later and the lever was against the grip. Undid the bungee and let it pop back up. Gave the lever a squeeze and it fetched up nice and firm. Cured of it. Friggin' brilliant. Love this place.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:56 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

If I don't use the gravity method,I usually do, then I don't install the calipers. I hang then with a bungee.

Spanners always bugged me with the syringe method. This has to be the easiest method but I figure as a shadetree I don't need another tool that I won't often use.

Can't wait to see a picture, Omaha.
Tom

Old 04-03-2016, 06:23 AM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

I am on the other side of the fence. The wilwoods were double the price of takeoff brembos.
They stopped ok but nowhere near as good as brembos. I will say this...if u ever have a problem ,customer service is one of the worst in the business. I am not just a customer that used there stuff on bikes. I have used them on all sorts of race cars,street rods,hot rods .
They don't get installed in my shop anymore they have so many problems. They are pretty.
But I have learned in bikes to just toss the brembos in the mill and fancy them up.
If u have them...use them. But I wouldn't run out and buy them. EBC pads on brembos are far better brake. Please don't be pissed . Only telling what I have run across in the last 10 years of being stuck with almost all there products . Think twice before u spend.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:37 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member

Here's the pic.

The following users liked this post:
bentparts (03-31-2019)

Quick Reply: Wilwood GP310 Calipers