EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Opinions/Advice 1993 90th Anniv Electra Glide

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 01:10 PM
ozbatts
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys!
I really appreciate your detailed replies and great information, it's been very helpful. I just want to make sure I'm going into it with my eyes wide open. If the bikes wasn't in excellent cosmetic condition I'd walk away. Also if I didn't have a good friend who was a mechanic, I'd walk away. I suppose I'm keen to learn and I have an opportunity to work side by side with someone to show me the ropes, at least the basic stuff.

We haven't settled on a price yet, hence my post seeking some opinions. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guesstimating the cost of the following at a dealership would be in the $3k+ range:

- Replace Belt
- Replace rear base gasket
- New fluids throughout
- New tires

And according to KBB the bike RETAIL is just under $6k. This one is particularly clean and very low milage and assume better than $6k onlce the work is done. So I'm assuming a fair price would be retail minus repair costs.

Any suggests for a replacement seat for a 6ft+ guy? The stock seat seems to push me way to close to the tank and fairing.

Thanks again everyone.

Old 04-19-2016, 01:31 PM
IBDAGRIZ
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 162 Posts

One thing also is the right bag is smaller than the left bag as the battery is in that area and takes up room. This was changed in 94. Also the electrical connectors are the older white plastic versus the newer deutsch type. Not a biggie, usually, but can be a pain to upgrade/replace stuff.

None of the stuff on the list needs to go to a dealer for repairing if your friend is a wrench of any quality at all. Even if he never touched an HD in his life.

Factory service manual is a must. Parts book helps too. Don't cheap out here.

You can slide the rear belt by the swing arm mount by removing the bolt a little on the left and wiggling it thru, then replacing the hardware. Easier that way.

The base gasket can wait or not if you're really **** about it not leaking, as it is no biggie at all. Wait and see if you want to do any motor upgrades before tearing it all apart for a base gasket and do it all at once.

Replace the motor oil yourself with good quality oil in the 20-50 type and you're golden. I like an 85-140 gear oil in the tranny myself as gear oil goes into transmissions and motor oil goes into motors. I prefer synthetic, bit it matters not. I run ATF or Rotella 10-40 in the primary.

Jake Wilson has the best tire prices as a rule and have an indy shop install them for you. I have a tire changer and do my own.

I'm 6' 6" and use a Mustang Touring seat on mine. I like it..

Griz

Last edited by IBDAGRIZ; 04-19-2016 at 01:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ozbatts (04-19-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 01:32 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

$3k seems strong for those things.

The rear base gasket really isn't an issue. If it's just a little weepy, you can ignore it. It's similar to the belt in that there is a whole lot of taking apart involved in replacing a simple part. Personally, my view would be to leave it alone and only address it if and when the motor needs to be opened up for other reasons.

As far as this particular deal goes, the way I look at it, a seller that isn't prepared or willing to recondition a bike (or car, for that matter) to basic running shape is effectively saying "just get this thing out of here". Unless there are other factors at play, I'd be driving a very hard bargain, which means I'd be looking for more of a discount than "retail - recondition cost". If the seller wants that, let them fork out for the reconditioning before the sale.

Seat is a preference thing. I put a Corbin on mine, and am very pleased. YMMV.

Since you said you are not interested in doing your own work, I'd ask around and find a good independent shop and run this past them.

ozbatts (04-19-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 01:42 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by ozbatts
Thanks guys!
I really appreciate your detailed replies and great information, it's been very helpful. I just want to make sure I'm going into it with my eyes wide open. If the bikes wasn't in excellent cosmetic condition I'd walk away. Also if I didn't have a good friend who was a mechanic, I'd walk away. I suppose I'm keen to learn and I have an opportunity to work side by side with someone to show me the ropes, at least the basic stuff.

We haven't settled on a price yet, hence my post seeking some opinions. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guesstimating the cost of the following at a dealership would be in the $3k+ range:

- Replace Belt
- Replace rear base gasket
- New fluids throughout
- New tires

And according to KBB the bike RETAIL is just under $6k. This one is particularly clean and very low milage and assume better than $6k onlce the work is done. So I'm assuming a fair price would be retail minus repair costs.

Any suggests for a replacement seat for a 6ft+ guy? The stock seat seems to push me way to close to the tank and fairing.

Thanks again everyone.
If your friend will teach you then it's all good.
Everything on an EVO is basic stuff.
All you really gotta remember is righty tighty lefty loosey (except for the clutch hub nut).
After that it's just a matter of buying the tools you need to work on it.

As it sits I wouldn't go over $4k myself as there are a few repairs that need attention before you get onto the road.
$3k would be better but $4k would be the max for me.

ozbatts (04-19-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 02:49 PM
Alienwulf
Supporter
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

When I got my 93 FLHS got lazy after years of not wrenching 20 to be exact. Took it into H-D for Fork service, rear base gasket and front brake caliper. 2100.00 bucks later I said boy things have changed. Rebuilt the top end with new rocker box's S&S rockers new pushrods Fueling lifters and tappet blocks. Many more things were upgraded bottom line I spent about 800.00 in parts and did the labor myself. If your willing to learn read and make a few mistakes an Evo is a good motor to learn on. Good luck..love mine.

ozbatts (04-19-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 03:12 PM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by IBDAGRIZ
One thing also is the right bag is smaller than the left bag as the battery is in that area and takes up room. This was changed in 94.
Actually was changed in 93, so he's good there.

ozbatts (04-19-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 06:53 PM
ozbatts
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again everyone. Well I should know by this time tomorrow if a deal is done. No doubt after that I'll have a bunch more questions

Old 04-21-2016, 05:44 AM
eddie4451
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm working on a 1993 FLHTC right now, bikes been sitting for almost 2yrs cause it got smashed up. I could not find inner outer fairing within reasonable price cause they are stupid expensive. And by pure luck I found inner,outer with all gauges in sweet condition ended up getting everything for 400+shipping that's cheap compared to what I have seen past two years, I immediately pulled the trigger and bought it. it's gonna arrive today.

Anyway with that ramble, I wouldn't get to intimidated, try and get a buddy or do it yourself or look on Craigslist post an ad source your area for a shop, a HD dealer won't work on it, a repair shop is't going to be inexpensive labor, There's a bunch of how to video's out there. How much are you considering paying for the bike is a big question? I will tell you I have done all that work mentioned and I learned alot spent hours in the internet getting information. The only pain in the neck I've had is the inner fairing the outer one comes off easy it's a rats nest of wires compared to the newer baggers since I'm swapping out i'm changing the stereo and speakers. post some pics if you can

Old 04-21-2016, 05:48 AM
eddie4451
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put a Bad Lander on mine, I'm 6'4 some seats will fit, you might have to trim down the tab that slides into the tank

Old 04-21-2016, 05:59 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by ozbatts
Thanks again everyone. Well I should know by this time tomorrow if a deal is done. No doubt after that I'll have a bunch more questions
Did you get the bike???

Quick Reply: Opinions/Advice 1993 90th Anniv Electra Glide