EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Oil line fitting sizes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 12:19 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,166 Likes on 5,391 Posts

Originally Posted by Greenblood
I presume fittings welded in before polishing.
Looks like I will have to carefully tap it out with plenty of lube until they go in to a decent depth and look right as well as not leak.

They were probably the correct size before welding...the welding shrunk them.

Probably won't take much to get them to the correct size....use grease on the tap, and clean it often...to keep from getting shavings inside the tank.

The following users liked this post:
Greenblood (04-25-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 03:10 PM
Greenblood
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks fxst1984, we have something in common! When my motor was torn down, the mech comment on how the heads or cylinders were very early and were sand cast? Or something. And how easy they were to skim or something for higher compression or sommat?

Interesting these early softies!

Steve

Old 04-28-2016, 03:03 PM
Greenblood
Advanced

Update! No luck:-(

I have a tap but the stainless is so hard, its not cutting and I'm afraid of going too hard on the tap, I am using lots of lube but the tap is only going in 1/4 of its length, that's after an hour of working slowly and carefully.

Looking at the tap and the oil line fitting side by side, it looks like the tap really needs to go in its full length for the fitting to fit the hole without having many threads left showing. At the moment most of the threads show and only one or 2 threads screw in before going very tight.

Help! What can I do? I am thinking it is easier to machine the fittings down which are not stainless! The die I have in this set which wont screw on the thread of the fitting, maybe I am best to butcher them as they are only €10 each.....! Grind the thread down so the die bites and make them smaller.

Any other suggestions chaps?

Ta

Steve

Old 04-28-2016, 03:28 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,692 Likes on 1,341 Posts

What size is the tap you're trying to use? What is the drill bit size to use for that tap? I would start with that. You may also need a quality tap. I've tapped a lot of 304 stainless in 1/2x20, and you need a quality tap and some good cutting fluid like Tap Magic, plus you need to start out with the right size hole. We don't really know what size hole is in there, do we?

A trip to a machine shop and a "tap these holes this size for me please" might not be a bad idea either. Can't charge you too much for that.

Greenblood (04-28-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 03:43 PM
Greenblood
Advanced

I am in rural France and it's not so easy finding a place who can do this for me. I also worry about them scratching the tank...
I bought a 8.5mm drill and it drops through two of the holes nicely so it apears to be the right size hole(at least, not too small)

The tap is 1/8 NPT, and I have a better quality one coming just to be sure!

Cheers

Steve

Old 04-28-2016, 05:48 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,692 Likes on 1,341 Posts

8.5mm should be pretty close. 8.4328mm is spec (0.332"):
http://www.engineershandbook.com/Tables/npttap.htm

So, after that, you just need the proper tap and a proper tap wrench and some good cutting fluid. When you start it, try to start it in the threads that are already cut. Some wiggling, etc., as you ease it in. Make sure it is attached to something so it doesn't move around. Go slow, turning in 1/8 turn, back it out 1/8, turn in 1/4, back out, etc. Use a good tap wrench that you can get good leverage on. Do not ever put force on the tap in any direction but circular. If you bust it off, then you have a real problem. Ask me how I know.

Greenblood (04-29-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 10:14 PM
hdvespa
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you solve your problem? I might be able to hook you ip with adapter fittings that might work. Let me knoeUOTE=Greenblood;15081966]Yep, looks like I have to tap it out. Bugger. Not so much a problem tapping it, more the hassle of getting the swarf out after! Grr!

Steve[/QUOTE]

Greenblood (04-30-2016)
Old 04-30-2016, 01:25 AM
Greenblood
Advanced

hdvespa, thanks for the offer, yes I'd appreciate some help.

What I need are 3x 1/8 NPT to 3/8 hose at 90 degree with a thread smaller than normal so it will screw in the whole way.

Happy to pay if someone can make or modify something for me to use without having to mess any more with the tank.

Cheers

Steve

Old 04-30-2016, 09:20 AM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,694 Likes on 1,150 Posts

For conversation what are the fittings your using made of?
Have the fittings been chromed?

I'm thinking a brass fitting might be more forgiving in getting screwed in a good amount. Not that it would look good

Just throwing a thought out there

WP

Old 04-30-2016, 09:27 AM
Greenblood
Advanced

The fittings are chromed brass if that helps.
Steve

Quick Reply: Oil line fitting sizes?