Looking at used EVO Dynas. Question for you

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 07:50 PM
213_LooseNoodle
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Looking at used EVO Dynas. Question for you

Hello,

I am looking at 1998 ish Dynas. This will be my first HD. What should I look for in a used EVO? Suggestions? Thank you so much for your help.

-r

Old 05-01-2016, 08:18 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

They're a good reliable motor. Some of the evo smart guys will prob chime in but at a minimum make sure it runs an sounds good. listen for strange noises, ride it an get it good an hot then park it an look for any oil leaks or seeps. the more stock the better so you know it wasn't hacked. cam changes an carb tunes are very common an good if it's done right. I don't know if efi was offered on those bikes those years but the early system isn't well liked on here.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:32 PM
213_LooseNoodle
Cruiser

Thanks so much!

Old 05-01-2016, 11:01 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,165 Likes on 6,216 Posts

Getting a carbureted one instead of a fuel injected one is preferable but is not a deal breaker.

It if you could find one with a stock engine that is also a plus because that helps eliminate the unknown. Although not 100%, most of the time a stock engine will still have the V2 timing cover still held in place by rivets, although a few people do rivet them back on.

If possible, try to do a compression check. Also check that the vin on the frame matches the partial vin on the engine and title.

Since you are talking about a dyna, check the rubber mounts. While not a deal breaker, a broken or dry rotted or worn out mount could be a bargaining chip.

Compress and release the forks and suspension, listening for noise, feeling for stiction, and observing rebound.

Evo's make a lot more mechanical noise than newer Harley's and definitely a lot more than other makes, so don't be too alarmed. What you want to listen for is loud harsh banging or clanking noise near the compensator and the lifter blocks of the engine. Some minor clicking noise in the valve train is ok, but the loud harsh clanking is what is bad.

In the breather system, you should see evidence of fine oil most coming out which is normal. If there is none, or worse yet, if there is so much it is actually leaking out, something is wrong.

Clanking or resistance at the steering head when rotating or compressing the forks could be evidence of a steering head bearing worn out or simply needing adjustment and grease.

Run it through the gears. Each gear change should have a solid notched mechanical type feel to it. It is normal to get a clank when putting it in first gear.

Pull the spark plugs and look for evidence of shiny black or oily deposits which indicate the internals of the engine could need refreshing. There are other things the plugs can tell you but that is the main one. Google reading spark plugs.

The very best thing about these Evo's is that everything is infinitely rebuildable. For the most part they use simple tractor technology. Some mechanical noise is a sign that things are working.

Passing your fingers over spoke wheels will detect loose spokes. Not a deal breaker but a point of negotiation.

Most of all, does it feel right?

Old 05-01-2016, 11:06 PM
213_LooseNoodle
Cruiser

Thank you so much for your amazing advice. I hope my current bike sells tomorrow so I can move on to this new bike!

Old 05-02-2016, 04:15 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,742 Likes on 928 Posts

Check the rubber engine mounts. Especially the front one below the oil filter. It seems when oil filter is removed, the oil drains down on the front rubber mount and causes the rubber to get soft over time.

Before starting the bike up with engine cool, (when setting up a time to go check bike, ask them not to warm it up before you get there, you want to hear how the bike sounds when starting cold and it will be a red flag if they do even after you ask) check the engine mounts by grabbing a hold of one of the cylinders and try rocking it. If the engine wobbles a little, it is motor mount time. When rocking it, look at how close the front exhaust pipe is to the frame down tube. Should be a gap of about an inch and no movement. Your looking at about 200 bucks in parts to replace those, so if the bike is clean, not a deal breaker, just a negotiation thing.

Excellent advice on the previous post, any real funny noises, but if your new to evos, how do you know what is considered normal noises?? I guess try to listen to a few before hand so you know.

"Pissed off sewing machine" is a great description of how an evo should sound. No "metallic sounds" is another. Yes there is ticks and some faint whirring, but it all should blend together. Nothing should (sound) should jump out at you. Also shifting on a Harley is not soft like a metric, but it should go in and out of gear without difficulty or loud clanking noises (except when going into first).

Look for signs of oil leaks, look at where the bike is parked/kept. Any puddles or oil stains on the bike? On the concrete where the owner keeps the bike? Remove gas cap and shine flashlight in tank, any rust or pealing tank liner inside? Use the flashlight to look at hard to see areas like under tank, under engine/lower frame, under side of rear fender, etc.

A belt change is not an easy thing on a Harley (not hard, just time consuming), so look at the sprockets and belts closely. Just like checking a serpentine belt on car, look for cracks, wear to the teeth, holes in belt, fraying on the edges, any noise when riding, etc. Look at tire wear, it should be even, not wear to the right or left side but even down the middle working it's way equally towards the edges.

Look at the welch plug on the carb that covers the idle mix screw. If intact, then chances are you have a virgin carb. That is a good thing. Rejet from scratch and it's an indicator that someone has not been messing around with it. But, not a problem if it was removed. Lots of owners rejet the slow jet.

Ask the owner to remove the seat. Look for any cut and spliced wires, how does any electrical repairs look? Do all the lights and turn signals function properly? Is the electrical all hacked and patched up?

Which leads to this, look for indicators about the owner and the bike: if it looks like the seller has messed with lots of stuff on the bike, ask yourself how well does the work/improvement look? Get an overall feel for how well the bike was cared for. How knowledgeable (wrenching skill does the owner) seem? If it is half assed work, and/or he don't know much, then chances that's how the work was done on the bike. Look at his house, garage/shop. A guy who pays attention to detail and maintains his house/garage/shop will also pay attention to details and maintain his bike. Not etched in stone, but is a good indicator...

It's always a crap shoot when buying used, but the more you know, the better the odds are in your favor for getting a good one.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:07 AM
y2kflhr
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm the original owner of a 1996 evo dyna, and the things that I've changed or "hacked" was moving the turn signals down to the triple tree when I had drag bars on it, also I cut the rear signals for when I had saddlebags on it, other than that no electrical tear ups, so I wouldn't consider those as deal breakers but changes that have been made to a 20 y/o bike, I've also had a few different sets of exhausts so the bolts around the transmission aren't stock, something else to look for but not a deal breaker, a couple of years back I had to do my lower base gaskets so you can see where they got separated from the cases, I would look there for a sign of a repair or look for oil, they do leak there. My bike has been a rock solid runner from the day I bought her so I would say if its in good condition its a winner.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:46 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

good point on the timing cover...mine was riveted on still an I had the stock cam an bearing but my carb had all the tuning recommendations done I've read up on.

wonder if pulling the plugs an looking at the color an condition would help. sometimes they can tell you about engine health.

Old 05-07-2016, 04:28 PM
213_LooseNoodle
Cruiser

So I got a Dyna 1997.

Attached Thumbnails Looking at used EVO Dynas.  Question for you-photo921.jpg  
Old 05-07-2016, 04:35 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Nice choice Noodle, FXDWG......

Quick Reply: Looking at used EVO Dynas. Question for you