EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Need help identifying aftermarket evo cases

Old 05-02-2016, 11:43 PM
SpaceReapersNOLA
Road Captain
Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Need help identifying aftermarket evo cases

Hi guys, well after a long search I finally found an FXR project today! I picked up a nice, complete 88' fxrs, dual disk front end, thunder header, super E carb, screaming eagle 6 speed trans. The price was right so I jumped on it.

So my question is about the engine cases. It has aftermarket cases and I cant find a name on it anywhere. the number stamped into it is a star BKL890x033 star. anyone have any idea who made these cases or have an idea where to look? I have searched on google and cant find anything.

I will post build pics but it is going to be a slow process. Going pretty radical with this build! thanks so much!

Old 05-03-2016, 03:25 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

The number you refer to sounds like a serial number, which looks as if it is the correct H-D code for your bike. Check the VIN to see if that engine number is the same as part of it. What makes you think the cases are non-stock? It may be that a PO has simply applied the original number (same as the stock engine) to the new cases.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:40 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,164 Likes on 5,391 Posts

BKL could be a 1990 FXSTC but you are missing a letter.

http://www.bokblad.se/Page8.html

Last edited by Tom84FXST; 05-03-2016 at 05:42 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:13 AM
SpaceReapersNOLA
Road Captain
Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

I was told that the cases may be aftermarket because there is a drain plug under the motor and because the case number didnt have HD in it. The sellers mechanic said that HD didnt put oil drain plugs on the bottom of EVO cases, only aftermarket companies did that. I am not familiar enough with evo motors to know.

let me grab the title and see is any numbers match... no none of the numbers are the same.

Thank you for the help guys!

Old 05-03-2016, 02:07 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 651 Posts

they won't have hd on them. The frame vin numbers do but not the motor cases

Old 05-03-2016, 03:54 PM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by SpaceReapersNOLA
I was told that the cases may be aftermarket because there is a drain plug under the motor and because the case number didnt have HD in it. The sellers mechanic said that HD didnt put oil drain plugs on the bottom of EVO cases, only aftermarket companies did that. I am not familiar enough with evo motors to know.

let me grab the title and see is any numbers match... no none of the numbers are the same.

Thank you for the help guys!
That's not a drain plug, and it's not to be taken out. Yes, HD motors have them. As mentioned elsewhere, the motor numbers do not start with HD. Vin numbers will start with 1HD1...... The fact that the numbers don't match indicates an motor swap, probably with a factory motor. In a few states, having numbers mismatched is a titling issue, unless you have a title or MSO for the motor as well. Check with your DMV.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:52 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,164 Likes on 5,391 Posts

Originally Posted by Owtlaw
That's not a drain plug, and it's not to be taken out. Yes, HD motors have them.

Older HD's like knucks, pans, and early shovels had them...twinkies have them...but I have never seen a evo motor with one from the factory...they have the boss cast in the case for it...and anyone with a drill and tap could install it...but it didn't come that way from the factory.

Last edited by Tom84FXST; 05-03-2016 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:06 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,524 Likes on 2,865 Posts

to add to that if you installed it you cant remove it as the frames rail in too close

Old 05-03-2016, 07:18 PM
brad75raiders
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

If you don't have the MSO don't go asking questions to the DMV. Let it be. I have had several motors in and out of several Harleys been pulled over a ton. And had *** hole chp and local pd. Never once did the check on the motor.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:30 PM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
Older HD's like knucks, pans, and early shovels had them...twinkies have them...but I have never seen a evo motor with one from the factory...they have the boss cast in the case for it...and anyone with a drill and tap could install it...but it didn't come that way from the factory.

You're correct of course, confirmed by 10 minutes of rolling around on the garage floor with a flashlight. I was thinking of a twin cam.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help identifying aftermarket evo cases