EVO All Evo Model Discussion

New Harley Guy?

Old 05-06-2016, 08:40 AM
Sorg67
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Default New Harley Guy?

I own a few rice burners and will have my first Harley effective Sunday. 1994 Heritage Softail. Gonna see if I have an inner Harley guy....

I think it is going to clean up pretty well. I want to return it to as close to original condition as possible.

Not much has been done. Mostly just some after market chrome bits.

Only major change was lowering it. I want to raise it back up for improved comfort and handling.

I do not know how it was lowered. Hoping with an adjustable kit and I will be able to just adjust it back up.

But even if that is the case, I am considering an upgraded suspension system. Any suggestions? My objective would be comfort and handling. I am 5' 10" 32 inseam. I do not think seat height will be an issue for me. I am used to a Kawasaki Versys with a 33" seat height so 27" should not be an issue, even if it is 300 lbs heavier.

Anyway, I am new to the Harley thing. Any tips would be appreciated. Newbie mistakes to avoid, etc.

Thanks

Old 05-06-2016, 08:47 AM
flhchaz
Club Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 498 Posts

Welcome to the Forums!!! and congrats on your new scoot. I'll be the first to tell you we like pictures.. Get a couple more posts so you can post some pictures

Old 05-06-2016, 08:57 AM
Sorg67
Tourer

Copy That FLHChaz

I plan to take pictures when it is delivered Sunday. Grimmy without side bags. Then continue to take pictures along the way as I work to return it to shinny new condition.

I think it is going to clean up really nice. Getting it from original owner who mostly took good care of it. Just has not be riding much lately. I think the main thing it needs is to be ridden.

I plan to run a bunch of non-ethanol gas through it. Hoping that putting some miles on it with good gas will do a lot for it.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:58 AM
Sorg67
Tourer

Any tricks to getting an Evo to start that has not been ridden in a few months?

Old 05-06-2016, 09:00 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,138 Likes on 6,209 Posts

Clean out carburetor, check out battery and battery cables, change all fluids.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:09 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Sorg67
No tricks needed.
Just make sure the battery is fully charged.

Other than that just start and run as normal.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:44 AM
byronk
Road Captain
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I own a few rice burners and will have my first Harley effective Sunday. 1994 Heritage Softail. Gonna see if I have an inner Harley guy....

I think it is going to clean up pretty well. I want to return it to as close to original condition as possible.

Not much has been done. Mostly just some after market chrome bits.

Only major change was lowering it. I want to raise it back up for improved comfort and handling.

I do not know how it was lowered. Hoping with an adjustable kit and I will be able to just adjust it back up.

But even if that is the case, I am considering an upgraded suspension system. Any suggestions? My objective would be comfort and handling. I am 5' 10" 32 inseam. I do not think seat height will be an issue for me. I am used to a Kawasaki Versys with a 33" seat height so 27" should not be an issue, even if it is 300 lbs heavier.

Anyway, I am new to the Harley thing. Any tips would be appreciated. Newbie mistakes to avoid, etc.

Thanks
Hey man welcome to the forum and to Harley ownership. When I bought my current bike it hadnt been ridden for 6 months. The guy I bought it from charged the battery and it fired right up and ran great. If its been sitting alot id check the tires for cracks/checking, even if the tread looks good doesnt mean the tires are good they do have a shelf life. Far as raising it back up? Alot of the time the lowering kit is just a turnbuckle type adjustable deal that retains the original shocks, hopefully in your case thats what they did. Far as suspension upgrades....progressive makes some nice stuff for Softails. You could do rear shocks, pretty basic install and front may just do fine with changing out the fork oil. If you want to stiffen the front maybe a thicker oil or some progressive springs. Good luck with the bike and definitely post up some picks when you get it.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:08 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,701 Likes on 1,988 Posts

Depends on the weather. Above 60 degrees, mine starts without issue. Below 40, the devil, himself, couldn't start it.

Make sure the battery is charged. If it were me, I'd probably remove and drain the float bowl to get rid of any water or crap that may be in there. Then go for it.

I've been happy with Progressive shocks on mine, although I have to replace them every 60-70,000 miles. I'd also recommend the Progressive fork springs and H-D "Performance Heavy" fork oil up front.

Expect a lot of rattles and buzzes from the front end. Seems the front end flexes a bit on the rough roads here, and the fork "tins" have a tendency to work loose and rattle. In fact, expect to chase noises a lot. You'll get it tied down for a while, then you'll hear something else, like a worn gas cap, loose license plate or whatever.

While we're talking suspension, check the left hand lower pinch bolt on the forks. They have a tendency to break (happened twice to me).

Speaking of noise, expect to hear a lot of valvetrain noise. A good Evo motor sounds like a "pissed off sewing machine" when it's running. It's the nature of the beast. Light rattles and ticks from the top end aren't usually serious. Heavier knocks or thumps from the lower end can be more serious. It may just be a loose primary chain, but it could be a lifter going bad or worse.

Last edited by Uncle G.; 05-06-2016 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:27 PM
TPost
Cruiser
Received 90 Likes on 28 Posts

Welcome. A little Seafoam in the gas will help clean out the carb. Do yourself a favor a get a Harley shop manual. Don't get a Clymer or Haynes. They suck!!! Ask questions. There is a great knowledge base on this board. Todd

Old 05-06-2016, 12:38 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by TPost
Welcome. A little Seafoam in the gas will help clean out the carb. Do yourself a favor a get a Harley shop manual. Don't get a Clymer or Haynes. They suck!!! Ask questions. There is a great knowledge base on this board. Todd

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Harley Guy?