EVO All Evo Model Discussion

My Indy Came Unwound.......

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 08:44 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013
Would it not make sense to run 1 weight? That would make the bike 49 pounds lighter, so it should be faster?
There's that extra one HP we're all looking for !!!!

The following users liked this post:
jammerx (05-29-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 09:04 PM
E-Cigrettman
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kp877
Independent, not a Harley dealership.
It's good to learn at least one thing every day

Old 05-25-2016, 09:21 PM
bluharley
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just changed the oil on my scooter, one quart of Amsoil synthetic SPECIFICALLY formulated for scooters, $11. I know this is no help, but I can change my oil 4 times for what it cost me to change the oil in my Harley, maybe ya'll ought to think about "alternatives!"

Old 05-25-2016, 09:34 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,688 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by bluharley
I just changed the oil on my scooter, one quart of Amsoil synthetic SPECIFICALLY formulated for scooters, $11. I know this is no help, but I can change my oil 4 times for what it cost me to change the oil in my Harley, maybe ya'll ought to think about "alternatives!"
I know a guy with a Honda Rebel just itching to kick some scooter azz, with guys like this out there, special super duper formulated fish slim motor oil may not help you. Try and figure out how to pump it up to 8 hp in case a show down arises.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:56 PM
bluharley
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 05-26-2016, 07:43 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by E-Cigrettman

It's good to learn at least one thing every day
knowledge is power

Old 05-28-2016, 09:51 AM
Scootertrash60
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
These old Evo's are not super high tolerance high tech engines. You can probably put olive oil in it and it would be fine.
Popeye might get a little upset at that ......

Do you guys know why Popeye got pissed at Moses?

He found out Moses was going to Mount Olive............:icon_cr ackup:

Old 05-28-2016, 04:23 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

I find it interesting that a number of members on this forum have recommended the original OP drop his indy due to the oil advice (against using straight 50 weight oil) he was given. It was only an opinion. Does one typically drop a repair person for an opinion given? Especially for an opinion in regards to oil, where we already know there are many.

I happen to be doing some spring cleaning and going through and throwing out all sorts of old "stuff" I have accumulated. One of the items going into the garbage are old magazines. As I was throwing them out, I would quickly go through them, then thrash them. I've attached an article by Kip Woodring from the 2003 issue of Hot Rod Bikes. The article/scan is a compressed pdf, so hopefully the quality is good enough so that people are able to read it.
Kip writes many of the technical articles in Thunder Press.
He also (like your indy) doesn't recommend straight-weight viscosity or single-grade motor oils.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 05-28-2016, 07:20 PM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
I find it interesting that a number of members on this forum have recommended the original OP drop his indy due to the oil advice (against using straight 50 weight oil) he was given. It was only an opinion. Does one typically drop a repair person for an opinion given? Especially for an opinion in regards to oil, where we already know there are many.

I happen to be doing some spring cleaning and going through and throwing out all sorts of old "stuff" I have accumulated. One of the items going into the garbage are old magazines. As I was throwing them out, I would quickly go through them, then thrash them. I've attached an article by Kip Woodring from the 2003 issue of Hot Rod Bikes. The article/scan is a compressed pdf, so hopefully the quality is good enough so that people are able to read it.
Kip writes many of the technical articles in Thunder Press.
He also (like your indy) doesn't recommend straight-weight viscosity or single-grade motor oils.
I think the statement that 50 wt would "ruin" an Evo is what did it. Opinions are one thing, but that statement is quite another.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:10 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

Originally Posted by Owtlaw
I think the statement that 50 wt would "ruin" an Evo is what did it. Opinions are one thing, but that statement is quite another.
Couldn't a 50 wt oil "ruin" a starter if used to start the bike repeatedly in cooler weather?

Last edited by LQQK_OUT; 05-29-2016 at 09:19 AM. Reason: modified post

Quick Reply: My Indy Came Unwound.......