EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Cam install ( Because it can't seem to stop raining around Cincinnati)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 11:17 PM
AlbaGuBrath
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam install ( Because it can't seem to stop raining around Cincinnati)

I had been wanting to do this for a while now and the weather being as unpredictable as its been here in Cincy area I thought I'd take advantage of it early in the season and swap the cam, bearing , tappets , pushrods , etc in my 96 Dyna

Ordered the EV27 , Jims big axle tappets , Ez adjust pushrods , and the B138 bearing ... Earlier id installed the AN Big sucker and road rage 2/1 and straightened out the jetting on the stock CV carb ...

Then all hell broke loose at work and I finally took her to some local fellas I know to do the job ... I really wanted to do it myself but knew that I'd keep putting it off in lieu of actually riding ( I've logged about 4K already this season just riding around greater Cincinnati for no good reason other than being in the wind and more than a few rainstorms followed by colder than the rain beer ) and didn't want to be kicking myself in the rear end if a " known evo issue " were to surface way out somewhere ...

From everything I've read here and elsewhere the cam swap will be a great addition... I think that will be all the modding " Smurfette " will see ( thanks to my buddies for the nickname due to her Blue paint ).

Special thanks to Ratchet at the Indy for taking the time off of some killer hard tail projects to wrench on my Scooter for me !

I'll post pics as I take them... And hope to report back the usual favorable opinion of the cam selection ...

Thanks for your time fellas !

Old 05-26-2016, 05:10 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

I've had an EV27 installed on my 93 FLHS, since 1994. It works well for my riding style, and I believe you will really like it in your Dyna. But in all fairness, there are cams from other manufacturers that work equally well (or better-lot of debate here). I would suggest as a future upgrade installing an aftermarket ignition, which has a better spark curve and higher rev limit for those time you want to really twist the throttle hard.

Old 05-26-2016, 07:29 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Hackd
I've had an EV27 installed on my 93 FLHS, since 1994. It works well for my riding style, and I believe you will really like it in your Dyna. But in all fairness, there are cams from other manufacturers that work equally well (or better-lot of debate here). I would suggest as a future upgrade installing an aftermarket ignition, which has a better spark curve and higher rev limit for those time you want to really twist the throttle hard.

Plus your bike will start easier.
Mine sure did!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-26-2016, 03:18 PM
IBDAGRIZ
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 162 Posts

Got a friend with a shop across the river in KY who is good with evos also if you ever need a wrench or a beer drinking buddy. He rides a couple of late 80's scoots. Softail and dresser.

J and S Cycles.. Covington/California, KY.

Griz

Old 05-26-2016, 04:05 PM
AlbaGuBrath
Advanced

I appreciate all of the responses so far and agree wholeheartedly with an ignition upgrade just trying to figure out through the search option and more research which one would be the best to go with…I really don't plan on doing much more than maybe a nominal compression bump seeing as we are beat up with ethanol laden fuel these days... I run premium all the time anyway but you know how that goes best laid plans of mice and men

Old 05-26-2016, 04:09 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by AlbaGuBrath
I appreciate all of the responses so far and agree wholeheartedly with an ignition upgrade just trying to figure out through the search option and more research which one would be the best to go with…I really don't plan on doing much more than maybe a nominal compression bump seeing as we are beat up with ethanol laden fuel these days... I run premium all the time anyway but you know how that goes best laid plans of mice and men
If you are talking about the search option for this site then don't bother it ain't worth a damn.
You are much better off with google!!!

Old 05-26-2016, 04:26 PM
AlbaGuBrath
Advanced

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
If you are talking about the search option for this site then don't bother it ain't worth a damn.
You are much better off with google!!!
Lol... Duly noted

Old 05-26-2016, 08:29 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

The adjustable pushrods are a retrograde step and it is lazy, bad practice.....