EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Possible throw out bearing or worse ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 10:13 PM
Seattle96Rk
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, this may be a dumb question , but do you need a diaphragm spring compressor for all models ? I swear I watched a few clutch replacement vids on you tube and some looked like you just unbolt the 5 bolts/plate and take spring off

Old 07-17-2016, 05:51 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Seattle96Rk
Also, this may be a dumb question , but do you need a diaphragm spring compressor for all models ? I swear I watched a few clutch replacement vids on you tube and some looked like you just unbolt the 5 bolts/plate and take spring off
No...

Old 07-17-2016, 06:49 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,497 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Deleted...

Old 07-20-2016, 02:33 AM
daven9113
Road Master
Received 293 Likes on 199 Posts

If your 96 RK is stock, then you will have to use a spring compressor (bought or home made) to pull your clutch plates.

If your primary chain adjustment remained the same; bought a good clutch cable, and already checked your throw out bearing and ramp mechanism, then your problem is probably your clutch. Positive you adjusted it correctly? If yes, then you have to check for a warp disk(s), or the spring plate in your clutch pack is failing. They are known for coming apart. Let us know what you find out.

Old 07-24-2016, 11:43 PM
Seattle96Rk
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hopefully clutch is fixed !

Originally Posted by daven9113
If your 96 RK is stock, then you will have to use a spring compressor (bought or home made) to pull your clutch plates.

If your primary chain adjustment remained the same; bought a good clutch cable, and already checked your throw out bearing and ramp mechanism, then your problem is probably your clutch. Positive you adjusted it correctly? If yes, then you have to check for a warp disk(s), or the spring plate in your clutch pack is failing. They are known for coming apart. Let us know what you find out.
So I bought a new Barnett extra plate Kevlar clutch , pressure plate and diaphragm spring ... Went to install it today and when pulling apart the old clutch discs there were tons of brass rivet pieces everywhere .. I'm hoping this was the reason my clutch was occasionally slipping and hard to find neutral ... Also my primary chain was too loose .. So I tightened it up ... Haven't had time to test ride it yet after installing new clutch .. Keeping my fingers crossed .... If anyone in Seattle wants to borrow a clutch diaphragm spring compressor I have one now ..

Old 07-24-2016, 11:48 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

So I bought a new Barnett extra plate Kevlar clutch , pressure plate and diaphragm spring ... Went to install it today and when pulling apart the old clutch discs there were tons of brass rivet pieces everywhere .. I'm hoping this was the reason my clutch was occasionally slipping and hard to find neutral ... Also my primary chain was too loose .. So I tightened it up ... Haven't had time to test ride it yet after installing new clutch .. Keeping my fingers crossed .... If anyone in Seattle wants to borrow a clutch diaphragm spring compressor I have one now ..
That was your spring plate disintegrating.
Your clutch should work much better now.