EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Possible throw out bearing or worse ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 10:43 PM
Seattle96Rk
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible throw out bearing or worse ?

So I've been having random clutch slipping for the last couple weeks .. I've adjusted the clutch both at clutch basket And cable twice and it's not holding adjustment .. Cable is fairly new , all fluids are fairly new .. Bike will ride fine then out of now where clutch will slip .. I pull in clutch , let it out and it's fine ... Well tonight when riding I noticed my clutch lever would feel tight when pulling it .. Then next shift , it had a good 1/2" slack in it ... Then two or three shifts later the lever is tight again ... ?? Any help is greatly appreciated "96 evo roadking "

Old 07-15-2016, 11:05 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree something is not letting the clutch return reliably, as you surmise in your 'throwout bearing…' title. Verify there's no issues with the cable/perch/lever and cable path. I don't believe you'll know where the problem is for certain until you remove a cover or two and make a close inspection.

Alan

Last edited by AlanStansbery; 07-15-2016 at 11:52 PM.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:43 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Slipping is rarely the throw-out.
I suspect cable routing, cable itself [chiwanese stuff is worse than worn out OE], or maybe the Ramp/ball mechanism..When checking ramp/ball, you can inspect the Throwout.

Old 07-16-2016, 08:31 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,810 Likes on 3,315 Posts

I suspect the pressure plate is not returning to proper position at times. Could be binding also check the spring diaphragm (for cracks) . You never mentioned how many miles and if clutch is original or not...You can inspect it all through the derby cover. If all that is good then you will need to check the ramp for wear and the possibility that a ball didn't fall out or is not allowing the ramp to return all the way, should be 3 there.

Old 07-16-2016, 09:18 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

I'd pull apart the clutch hub and check the fibers and the spring plate (to make sure the rivets haven't come loose).

Old 07-16-2016, 09:46 AM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 512 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
I'd pull apart the clutch hub and check the fibers and the spring plate (to make sure the rivets haven't come loose).

Old 07-16-2016, 10:29 AM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 405 Likes on 326 Posts

Do you have too much slack in the cable? If so, the feral may be popping out of the slot at the lever. If it pops out and catches on the outside lip, this effectively tighten the cable and can give the symptoms you describe. Also ramp/***** can wear and hang up a bit, not return fully. As other have said, inspect the entire clutch assembly.

Good luck.

Old 07-16-2016, 10:57 AM
Seattle96Rk
Novice

Thank you all ! I will check and inspect everything .. Bike has 36k original miles on it .. I've only owned it for a few months so I'm not sure if the clutch is original or not .

Old 07-16-2016, 02:01 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,619 Likes on 2,094 Posts

I had similar issues and my clutch release bearing was in pieces. Might be worth a look as well

Old 07-16-2016, 05:18 PM
Seattle96Rk
Novice

Well i only had time today ti take off exhaust and remove right side cover .. Everything seems to be ok.. Clean inside ..No shavings or broken pieces I could find .. The bearing seems fine and the 3 ball/ramp mechanism seems to be working correctly when clutch is pulled (does sit in there a little loose .. Normal?) with pressure on plate it moves inward toward rod..when clutch is pulled it .. .. I assume this is correct and puts pressure on clutch rod ... I'll have to open up primary and take apart & inspect spring/clutch discs when I have more time .. Thanks to all the help

Quick Reply: Possible throw out bearing or worse ?