EVO All Evo Model Discussion

leaking tranny fluid

Old 07-21-2016, 05:57 AM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
No way of knowing what part numbers are in that pic....

Pulley 40250-94C
Spacer 33344-94
Quad Seal 11165
Oil Seal 12067B
Nut 35211-91B
Lockplate 40251-92A
Screw (2) 3594
sorry about that, Dan.... the photo is an aftermarket kit - with the exception of the main gear seal- offered by BDL from JPCycles (601-382)... it is make and model specific for my 91, so I gather it is proper

Old 07-22-2016, 06:22 PM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior

so i figured i'd have a difficult time removing this seal, thinking that it was leaking from the inside where the rubber connects to the main shaft.... nope

i poked it with a mechanics pick and this thing flopped sideways on the shaft and i just pulled it off... upon closer inspection it seems to wear around the outside perimeter....which makes sense given that because the main shaft is constantly spinning, the seal is bound to fatigue against the main gear and ultimately lose it's strength against it

Old 07-22-2016, 07:12 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

check the splines on the main gear to see if there is any wear on the splines. if there is, it would be a good idea to replace the main gear. the pulley must have exact fitment to the main gear. if it doesn't, the pulley will never get tight on the main gear and will wobble slightly and it will leak oil.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:30 PM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bagga
check the splines on the main gear to see if there is any wear on the splines. if there is, it would be a good idea to replace the main gear. the pulley must have exact fitment to the main gear. if it doesn't, the pulley will never get tight on the main gear and will wobble slightly and it will leak oil.
i don't understand.... you're saying if the pulley doesn't fit properly, and it wobbles (why would it do that?), then it will compromise the seal between the main gear and the main shaft?

how is that possible given the tight tolerances between the main gear and main shaft?... and why would the tranny pulley wobble if it's tightened to spec and locked in?.... seems like it would jerk against the gear rather than wobble

Last edited by jsbridgew; 07-22-2016 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:12 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

the early drive pulleys were narrower where they slide on the main gear. the pulley splines will wear out if the big nut gets loose witch will make the main gear splines wear. give the main gear splines the fingernail test. if you can feel a step on the splines with your fingernail it's shot.
the pulley will wobble because there's about 60 HP pulling on it. i'm not talking about the main gear and the main shaft seal, i'm talking about the bigger seal on the other side of the pulley. maybe what i should have added was check the main gear as long as you have it apart. there's a reason they changed the pulley in 94, the early ones were failing.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:19 PM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bagga
the early drive pulleys were narrower where they slide on the main gear. the pulley splines will wear out if the big nut gets loose witch will make the main gear splines wear. give the main gear splines the fingernail test. if you can feel a step on the splines with your fingernail it's shot.
the pulley will wobble because there's about 60 HP pulling on it. i'm not talking about the main gear and the main shaft seal, i'm talking about the bigger seal on the other side of the pulley. maybe what i should have added was check the main gear as long as you have it apart. there's a reason they changed the pulley in 94, the early ones were failing.
narrower?... if they were narrower then that would mean the nut couldn't completely tighten against the pulley, which it can, even in the earlier models... no, they replaced them in 94 to accomodate a locking plate because the single allen screw wasn't a secure enough measure should the nut come loose... and from the start i've been talking about the main shaft seal, not the larger one behind the pulley- which is fine... it's bone dry

i will check the splines on the main gear as you suggested, but since that isn't the source of my problem i am certain they are fine... thanks

Old 07-23-2016, 06:24 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,477 Likes on 4,602 Posts

If you replace the pulley, do not use parts for a `91.

Use parts for a `95 or later, they will be the upgraded components.

The dealer may still sell it as a kit with all the parts needed.

Old 07-23-2016, 06:31 AM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
If you replace the pulley, do not use parts for a `91.

Use parts for a `95 or later, they will be the upgraded components.

The dealer may still sell it as a kit with all the parts needed.
thanks Dan.... i picked up the BDL kit, so i'll be good to go once everything arrives