EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Push Rod Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 10:10 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
OTOH, a good set of rocker box gaskets (middle and top) will run about $60 (at least that's what I remember paying back in '12). Then there's the labor involved in draining/removing the tanks, dismantling and reassembling the rocker boxes and the rocker arms, and the chances that you might do something wrong there, or end up; with another leak where you didn't have one before, and have to do it over again.

Yes, I know the disadvantages of adjustable push rods, but I've been running them on my otherwise stock motor(s) for 175,000 miles now with none of the issues you mention. The DO make periodic changes of lifters and cam bearings (or trying new cams) a snap. At my age, I like to make things easy on myself.

Cutting and gluing an O-ring? Now that's something even I wouldn't try.
My first set was chrome moly and I bent all 4 of those and the second set was S&S easy install and the lock nut backed off on one of those.

It does happen.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:11 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by RLH3175
I would try the first option. I worked for 30 years in the oil and gas field, and I have cut and super glued o'rings to use on wells when I didn't have the right size that I needed. If that didn't work, I would go to option 3.
I do my own work, and my labor is free to me.....
Now that is interesting!!!!!

Old 07-19-2016, 02:41 PM
Snydcat
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
I've got to ask if you have ever used #1.
It seems to me that cutting an o-ring to install it is an incredibly stupid thing to do.
I've done it on my shovelhead with the cork ones...cut at a 45 degree angle..did not use any glue and they have been leak free and saves a **** load of time.

The following users liked this post:
Blk/Wht/andChrome (03-05-2020)
Old 07-19-2016, 03:33 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by Snydcat
I've done it on my shovelhead with the cork ones...cut at a 45 degree angle..did not use any glue and they have been leak free and saves a **** load of time.
Thank you for your experience!!!
I now have another trick up my sleeve!!!

Old 07-19-2016, 05:10 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,703 Likes on 1,988 Posts

Originally Posted by RLH3175
I would try the first option. I worked for 30 years in the oil and gas field, and I have cut and super glued o'rings to use on wells when I didn't have the right size that I needed. If that didn't work, I would go to option 3.
I do my own work, and my labor is free to me.....
Now that you mention it, I've seen kits to "make your own special size o-rings" which consist of a length of rubber cord and super glue. Usually they also include a cutting jig so you can get the ends square.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:16 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,703 Likes on 1,988 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
My first set was chrome moly and I bent all 4 of those and the second set was S&S easy install and the lock nut backed off on one of those.

It does happen.
If you could bend four chrome moly pushrods, I can't imagine the flimsy stock aluminum pushrods would have fared any better.

Are you sure they weren't bent out of the box? I had to sort through two or three sets of SE pushrods to cherry pick four that ran straight. The rest were assembled crooked. Yes, I'm on very good terms with the local dealer.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:33 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
If you could bend four chrome moly pushrods, I can't imagine the flimsy stock aluminum pushrods would have fared any better.

Are you sure they weren't bent out of the box? I had to sort through two or three sets of SE pushrods to cherry pick four that ran straight. The rest were assembled crooked. Yes, I'm on very good terms with the local dealer.
No I'm not.
When I installed them I was new to Harleys and a friend helped me.
I didn't even know you needed to check them back then.

Old 07-20-2016, 01:36 AM
daven9113
Road Master
Received 293 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by uplandpinter
Hey guys. I Have a 98 FLHRCI with about 32K. The Motor has never been touched. When I go on a run of a hundred or more miles there is a small pool of oil that shows up. It is coming from the top of the rear push rod and running down the side of the rod cover.

If i have the push rods replaced to change the seals what else should I have done? My plan was to leave it stock since it has never been touched. But you know once I start digging in plans change
I just re-read this post. From your description, I would first look at a leak coming out of your air filter, caused by blow-by, because your Evo is a head breather. If you have a leaking O-ring, you will have a leak at any speed and any distance. Because you said it only happens when you are running long distance, this makes me think you may just have a little bit more oil in the tank. At higher speeds, oil mist return at the head doesn't work fast enough, and with air moving through your air filter, it may pull some out and land on rear intake PR cover, making it look like you have a leak.

So, I would wipe it down. Go on a short ride, and re-check. Might save you some grief and $$. Good luck.

edit: If your 98 Evo is running good, and has enough power for you, I would leave it alone and ride the heck out of it. 98 Evos are the closest thing to perfection for HD. :-)

Last edited by daven9113; 07-20-2016 at 01:57 AM.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:59 AM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,816 Likes on 1,760 Posts

I'd cut and glue the o-ring
or
If your thinking about cam swap in the future,
get a set of them spooky adjustable crooked pushrods that leaves millions of bikes stranded all over the world every day.

Old 07-20-2016, 06:07 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,896 Likes on 2,552 Posts

Option 3 all day long. The factory modified the rocker boxes from the Shovels to the Evolution motors just for this (and some other) kinds of leaks. One day job using the shop manual to get it apart, replace the O rings and put it all back together.

No reason to introduce an adjustable anything, adding to future maintenance.

Quick Reply: Push Rod Oil Leak