EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Head Gasket/bolt advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 09:47 AM
moseshoward
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Gasket/bolt advice needed

Here down South we have a saying, "There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people asking questions!" So here I go....

I have a 96' Electra Glide Classic that absolutely HATES head gaskets! Presently on my fourth (yes 4) blown head gasket, two each front and back. After this fourth time my mechanic discovered the rear head bolts had worked loose and were no longer torqued correctly. So now we're having "inserts" done on both the cylinders and going with a 5/16 head bolt.

I'm no mechanical genius by any standards and was wondering if anyone on here had done this and the end result? I LOVE this bike and want to keep it! Runs great (when it does run) and rides like a brand new one. Only 45k on the odometer. So should I trust these inserts or take her in and trade it?

Attached Thumbnails Head Gasket/bolt advice needed-011.jpg  
Old 07-24-2016, 10:20 AM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,698 Likes on 1,153 Posts

That's a surprise least to me the the studs working loose on that year model.

The motor should have studs in the cases (block if you will) uses screws with internal threads.(nuts) to hold the head to the cylinders with the head gasket between them.

It just sounds like things are not getting torqued right, possibly a warped head. Both heads at once sounds strange. If you are confident of your mechanic then going the insert route sounds like a good way to go.

There are stories about letting an EVO warm up a bit before riding to help minimize head and base gasket leaks. There are lots of folks here with more experience than me by a long shot so I'd bet one of them will chime in soon

WP

The following users liked this post:
moseshoward (07-24-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 10:53 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by WP50

The motor should have studs in the cases (block if you will) uses screws with internal threads.(nuts) to hold the head to the cylinders with the head gasket between them.

It just sounds like things are not getting torqued right, possibly a warped head. Both heads at once sounds strange. If you are confident of your mechanic then going the insert route sounds like a good way to go.

There are stories about letting an EVO warm up a bit before riding to help minimize head and base gasket leaks. There are lots of folks here with more experience than me by a long shot so I'd bet one of them will chime in soon

WP
This is my first thought too.

Get some Cometic gaskets and follow their directions for torquing them down.

moseshoward (07-24-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 11:21 AM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
This is my first thought too.

Get some Cometic gaskets and follow their directions for torquing them down.
That and cleaning the threads Real Good, on the the stud as well as the nuts.

WP

moseshoward (07-24-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 11:51 AM
daven9113
Road Master
Received 293 Likes on 199 Posts

First, that's a great looking bike. I can see how you would be very frustrated with having 4 blown head gaskets. So, what WP and Hillcountry said are all right on. After the second blown head gasket, and with relatively little miles on the bike, you have to start questioning things.

1. Types of gaskets. Are they MLS (multi layered steel)?
2. Is it being torqued down correctly? New head bolts, lightly oiled.
3. Break in period, although it's hard to re-torque the two inner bolts.

Tell us what gaskets, and torque sequence is being used. Do you ride abusive, like no warm up and WTF throttle upon start up? These things can help diagnose your problem.

Good luck.

moseshoward (07-24-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 11:57 AM
moseshoward
5th Gear

Originally Posted by WP50

WP
Thanks for the reply, and let me clear this up a bit, first time the front blew, new gasket was replaced, second time burnt a hole in the head, had a used cylinder and head replaced and haven't had any issues since. Then the rear one blew, replaced gasket and it began leaking again, so had the rear cylinder and head removed, sent to machine shop, faced and trued and replaced, 1k later, blew which is where I'm at now. Both gaskets did not blow at the same time. Now according to my friends at the local HD Dealer, this is an occasional problem with older EVO engines, the head bolts working loose. My biggest concern is trusting these new inserts. Bike has spent more time and the shop than on the road

Old 07-24-2016, 12:01 PM
moseshoward
5th Gear

Originally Posted by daven9113
First, that's a great looking bike. I can see how you would be very frustrated with having 4 blown head gaskets. So, what WP and Hillcountry said are all right on. After the second blown head gasket, and with relatively little miles on the bike, you have to start questioning things.

1. Types of gaskets. Are they MLS (multi layered steel)?
2. Is it being torqued down correctly? New head bolts, lightly oiled.
3. Break in period, although it's hard to re-torque the two inner bolts.

Tell us what gaskets, and torque sequence is being used. Do you ride abusive, like no warm up and WTF throttle upon start up? These things can help diagnose your problem.

Good luck.
thanks for the reply, and I always let the engine warm even in the summer months prior to riding, not hard on the throttle as to me it's about the ride, not getting there first. My mechanic is an older man that has worked exclusively with Harley's all his life, and am certain he's torqued the bolts correctly. Every time new head bolts have been used

Old 07-24-2016, 12:05 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 1,343 Posts

We have not heard of a problem with head bolts working loose. I think that given the experience of the people in this forum, that would have come up. There are some occasional problems like studs pulling out of the cases, cases cracking, etc., but not just coming loose all by themselves. If the studs did not pull out of the cases, I think something else is going on.

Anyway, inspect the cases real well for cracks around the stud holes. Some inserts like Timecerts, etc., are a good idea, given your problems. Inspect the heads and cylinders and put it together with proper torque and new studs. People like those Cometic gaskets.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:54 PM
RLH3175
Stellar HDF Member

Received 2,411 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by moseshoward
Here down South we have a saying, "There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people asking questions!" So here I go....

I have a 96' Electra Glide Classic that absolutely HATES head gaskets! Presently on my fourth (yes 4) blown head gasket, two each front and back. After this fourth time my mechanic discovered the rear head bolts had worked loose and were no longer torqued correctly. So now we're having "inserts" done on both the cylinders and going with a 5/16 head bolt.

I'm no mechanical genius by any standards and was wondering if anyone on here had done this and the end result? I LOVE this bike and want to keep it! Runs great (when it does run) and rides like a brand new one. Only 45k on the odometer. So should I trust these inserts or take her in and trade it?
A insert in aluminum is stronger than the original threads. Is 5/16 the stock size of the cylinder stud, I would have thought that it would have been 3/8.
I checked, the standard studs are 3/8, I wouldn't want to use a smaller stud without getting the opinion from more than one Harley mechanic.
I have done this on a Yamaha FJ12 inline four engine, but I used Helicoils and used the same studs.

Last edited by RLH3175; 07-24-2016 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:18 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member

I'm a little concerned about how much meat (material) there is around the studs. The time serts I'm familiar with require some around it.

Ahh wait second have used then to repair studs on VW bug engines many times. No more meat there than on these engines I think.

"Now according to my friends at the local HD Dealer, this is an occasional problem with older EVO engines, the head bolts working loose. My biggest concern is trusting these new inserts."
This would go along with some older EVOs best I remember ahh 90 -93 years come to mind. Maye be a little earlier even.

Were these OEM gaskets by chance. Most around here would say James or Cometic gaskets. The Indy I went to for parts when fixing my blown head gaskets mentioned they prefer James over OEM. When I asked why he said " They just flat hold up better."

WP

Last edited by WP50; 07-24-2016 at 05:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Head Gasket/bolt advice needed