EVO All Evo Model Discussion

94 softail

Old 08-06-2016, 04:38 PM
shankman
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 94 softail

Hey guys, Bike started acting up like not getting fuel on highway and slower speeds seemed better, it would run on one cylinder and then back to two and run fine. anyways today same thing however shut off for 1 hr and rode home barely making it. took front plug out and not as hot and little fouled, replaced with new plugs and wires from my shovelhead and wont start now.... put old wires and plugs back on and still wont fire? Seems like out of timing? burbing and fart little bit? it has spark and fuel to carb...going to check adjustment of pushrods,any help or direction to go please? kevin:

Old 08-06-2016, 04:48 PM
springers4ever
Road Master
Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts
Cool Nose Cone ...

Pull the nose cone cover ,(thats on the cam cover) both the out side one and inside one ...and check the timing pick up ...see if there's some goohy stuff leaking out of it ...the stuff they used to seal these units back in the day wasn't that good ...and on these very hot days ...it will run out quicker ....if so the pick up is bad ...that will cause alot of ignition problems ...if it runs fine "sometimes " ...it's not the rod adjustment !!!
good luck !!

Last edited by springers4ever; 08-06-2016 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:00 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,138 Likes on 6,209 Posts

Timing cover goo as was mentioned. Also, pull the petcock to check if the strainer is clogged up.

Old 08-06-2016, 05:06 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by springers4ever
Pull the nose cone cover ,(thats on the cam cover) both the out side one and inside one ...and check the timing pick up ...see if there's some goohy stuff leaking out of it ...the stuff they used to seal these units back in the day wasn't that good ...and on these very hot days ...it will run out quicker ....if so the pick up is bad ...that will cause alot of ignition problems ...if it runs fine "sometimes " ...it's not the rod adjustment !!!
good luck !!

Old 08-07-2016, 03:44 PM
shankman
Cruiser

i pulled timing cover and it has crane hi-4 ignition mod. no goo or anything. So what should i suspect? Coil is good i believe cuz i have spark.What about cdi box? so i guess hopefully it is the hi-4 mod if i buy one becouse they arent cheap.is it worth going back to stockdouble fire ig mod and coil? and is it the same cdi box for both? Yes you are right about pushrods, i wanted to check front one becouse had ticking noise up in head area. Thanks

Old 08-07-2016, 06:32 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,164 Likes on 5,391 Posts

Originally Posted by shankman
i pulled timing cover and it has crane hi-4 ignition mod.
The crane hi-4 cone ignitions were notorious for failing and running on one cylinder......then they would run fine...really wasn't temperature related...mine would go back to running fine on a 100 degree day.

Check you spark again..bet you are not getting it to both cylinders.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:46 PM
byronk
Road Captain
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Could also be a bad coil.......just because you have spark doesnt mean you have good spark.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:48 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 926 Posts

Swap out the coil if you have or can borrow one (3.0 ohm), and see if that fixes it. If not, then it is (as mentioned) probably the crane hi-4. YD

Old 08-16-2016, 07:00 PM
shankman
Cruiser

hey guys, i put in ultima single fire programmable ignition kit and it fired up nice. static timed so far and runs good. Purchased from Jireh 130.00 and shipped fast. Not sure what all the curves and adjustments are for ad have to hook up voe switch..... thanks again for helping me think a little more....

Old 08-16-2016, 07:08 PM
shankman
Cruiser

And yes it was the Crane HI- 4

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 94 softail