EVO All Evo Model Discussion

2 quarts tranny oil to get home

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 11:23 PM
thirsty
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2 quarts tranny oil to get home

hello all, just got back from Longmont Co, 2,200 mi round trip. the last 800 mi, she would leak tranny oil from around the shifter arm adjusting screw, maybe its from the quad seal? started a few months ago as a small drip or two when parked after a ride, but now shes a gusher. (drip ends up at the primary drain plug) she only leaks while on the kick stand, enough to fill a 8 oz coffee cup in a half hour. have never pulled the primary chaincase before, but thinking about tackling it myself. any suggestions appriciated

Old 08-09-2016, 11:28 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

It's pretty straight forward when u get in there. Get your service manual out. Or go utube a few stator or clutch repair videos. It will get u close... That's a lot of oil at one time. Lol

Old 08-09-2016, 11:35 PM
thirsty
Cruiser

tomorrow i'll clean it up and try to see exactly where its coming from. i would think the primary will have to come off to get to any of the seals back behind it. and will replace any i can. wasnt sure if it was primary or tranny, now i know its the tranny

Old 08-09-2016, 11:44 PM
thirsty
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Bumpandrun
It's pretty straight forward when u get in there. Get your service manual out. Or go utube a few stator or clutch repair videos. It will get u close... That's a lot of oil at one time. Lol
yea, it was fun riding home after discovering the gusher. was south of Gillette Wy on hwy 59 getting fuel, big puddle in a few minutes. had to keep the bike upright the rest of the way, and re-topped it off in the next two mornings after she drained out while parked. my wife would hold the bike up if i had to get off. lol was just happy to get it home without having to visit a dealer on the road

Old 08-10-2016, 12:04 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,139 Likes on 6,210 Posts

Is it the primary that is leaking or just the derby cover?

If it makes you feel any better, two days ago I had to add one gallon of antifreeze to my 2014 Jeep with only 31,000 miles on it. No idea where it is leaking from or anything.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:34 AM
thirsty
Cruiser

It's the tranny Prot, I 'thought' it was the primary, so pulled the derby cover off and it was full. The tranny oil is leaking its way down and dripping off of the primary drain plug area.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:34 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 440 Likes on 252 Posts

Just pull the primary and the sprocket and replace every seal in the area, also check that your inner primary bearing race hasn't walked into the wedding band seal....that is a really common problem and fixed with the S&S inner race.

Do quad seal too and the inner primary bearing seal.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:03 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,324 Likes on 3,269 Posts

I just bought the whole gasket kit from Eastern Performance cycle through EBay for like $40 I think, it was after market.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:38 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Spanners39
Just pull the primary and the sprocket and replace every seal in the area, also check that your inner primary bearing race hasn't walked into the wedding band seal....that is a really common problem and fixed with the S&S inner race.

Do quad seal too and the inner primary bearing seal.
You can also fix it with the Baker IPB which does away with that race.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:33 AM
thirsty
Cruiser

thanks guys, i will look into it, and keep you posted. knowing me, i'll have questions! ive got the 'Harley' book and parts book too. not in a hurry, want to do it right. at least its warm out. was going to wait till winter, but now it cant wait, and its too freekin cold in an un-insulated shop during winter time.

Quick Reply: 2 quarts tranny oil to get home