Getting so sick of this bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 08:11 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,694 Likes on 1,150 Posts

Originally Posted by panhead_pete
Do NOT do anything yourself at this moment

Take it back and give the guy that worked on it a chance to fix up what is obviously happened when he worked on it - any decent shop will want that chance

When you go in be polite courteous but express you are frustrated

If you go through this process and are still not happy find a new shop and in the interim buy a workshop manual and parts book and starting reading them instead of watching TV - start with small jobs - like oil changes etc - INVEST in a good set of tools - slowly work into doing more and more work
New guy or not this guy said it RIGHT

Owning an EVO usually means doing it yourself

WP

Old 08-10-2016, 09:17 PM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I might be mistaken, but I don't think you have to mess with the clutch adjustment when pulling the basket and compensator off to get at that inner primary seal... sounds like the guy who worked on your bike might have made the rookie mistake of thinking the clutch adjuster nut was what removed the clutch basket, and loosened it. And when he reassembled things just slapped it together not realizing he'd thrown it out of adjustment against the pushrod.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:36 PM
Roadghost
Road Warrior
Received 625 Likes on 284 Posts

Whoa man, that Indie seems to be ripping you off. Sounds like a lot of work for that kind of coin. You need to learn how to set the clutch yourself. It is easy to do on an EVO:

Leaking primary case? Only if the gasket hasn't been installed properly. Most of the stuff you had done could have been completed by yourself. It might be a good idea for you to join a Harley rider club and get together with some of the guys who do their own maintenance on the weekend. You can learn a lot and be free of high mechanic's bills. You'll find there really isn't much to maintaining a Harley.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:39 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Think calm thoughts, pour your favourite beverage and read the manual on adjusting your clutch. Nothing more or less at this stage. Having owned bikes for almost 50 years I can tell you that Harley manuals are probably the best out there - and translating them into proper English is a doddle! Ask questions - we're to help.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:52 AM
Dazzauk
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Think calm thoughts, pour your favourite beverage and read the manual on adjusting your clutch. Nothing more or less at this stage. Having owned bikes for almost 50 years I can tell you that Harley manuals are probably the best out there - and translating them into proper English is a doddle! Ask questions - we're to help.
Hey buddy I really appreciate that .

I've deffo got myself so wound up about this, the bike initially went in on June 20th to get lots of work done and it's still going back now because it's not 100%.
I'm taking it over to him tonight to sort for the 4th time. I understand maybe I could and should do the clutch but I have paid him plus this dam primary is still bloody leaking.

Old 08-11-2016, 07:31 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Dazzauk
Hey buddy I really appreciate that .

I've deffo got myself so wound up about this, the bike initially went in on June 20th to get lots of work done and it's still going back now because it's not 100%.
I'm taking it over to him tonight to sort for the 4th time. I understand maybe I could and should do the clutch but I have paid him plus this dam primary is still bloody leaking.
I wouldn't.

I agree that you should give a mechanic a second chance if he/she doesn't get something right.
Anybody can have a bad day.
However the second time the bike came back the mechanic (if they are any good) should have spent extra time to make damn sure it was right before it left for the second time.
There is no reason a mechanic should see a vehicle for the 3rd time for the same problem let alone a 4th.

The only thing you are accomplishing by taking your bike back to him/her for the 4th time is wasting your time and money.

At this point you should either find a new mechanic or do it yourself IMO.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:22 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by jsbridgew
I might be mistaken, but I don't think you have to mess with the clutch adjustment when pulling the basket and compensator off
On my '90, you have to remove the adjustment mechanism to access the clutch hub retaining nut. No way to get the clutch off and back on without resetting the clutch and cable adjustment.

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
I wouldn't.

I agree that you should give a mechanic a second chance if he/she doesn't get something right.
Anybody can have a bad day.
However the second time the bike came back the mechanic (if they are any good) should have spent extra time to make damn sure it was right before it left for the second time.
There is no reason a mechanic should see a vehicle for the 3rd time
That's my view as well. In my business, no one gets attention like the guy who's order we screwed up the first time. We make damned sure we don't screw it up twice.

The particular thing that troubles me here is that if the clutch is as wazzed as the OP stated, that suggests the mechanic didn't bother to do even a basic road test. I can't imagine getting that deep into a bike and then just handing the keys to someone.

Old 08-11-2016, 11:33 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,701 Likes on 1,988 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
On my '90, you have to remove the adjustment mechanism to access the clutch hub retaining nut. No way to get the clutch off and back on without resetting the clutch and cable adjustment.

Same on my '94. Although it is theoretically possible to remove and reinstall the retainer plate and the clutch hub without disturbing the adjustment screw position, expecting everything to go back in EXACTLY the same place is foolish. It would be, therefore, necessary to perform the clutch adjustment any time the clutch is removed.

The clutch adjustment at the hub has to be made with slack in the cable FIRST, then the cable slack is adjusted with the cable adjuster. Sounds like your "mechanic" forgot this last step.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:38 PM
daven9113
Road Master
Received 293 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Dazzauk
Hey chaps yeah around $2800 usd.

Had lots of work done including valve stem oil seals, manual compression releases fitted, new rear shocks, new tranny fluid and brake fluid, and new carb and air filter.

Do you think he would have adjusted the clutch when he did the primary seal? It was fine before it went to him for the primary seal.

I have a factory manual just haven't got the confidence to do all the work yet.

I'm upset that the primary is still leaking after so many attempts to stop it.
Sorry to hear about your clutch adjustment issues. Sounds like a simple fix. The amount you paid for the job that was done is probably fair. For them to do valve stems, compression release, rear shocks, etc... for that amount (labor and parts). I'm sure there's a simple fix. If you are a good customer, and the shop is a good shop, it will work out.

When I read these posts, it's one sided, so all I can say is hope you get your bike up and running to your satisfaction. Most Indie shops that want to stay in business really take care of their customers.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:58 PM
Dazzauk
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by daven9113
Sorry to hear about your clutch adjustment issues. Sounds like a simple fix. The amount you paid for the job that was done is probably fair. For them to do valve stems, compression release, rear shocks, etc... for that amount (labor and parts). I'm sure there's a simple fix. If you are a good customer, and the shop is a good shop, it will work out.

When I read these posts, it's one sided, so all I can say is hope you get your bike up and running to your satisfaction. Most Indie shops that want to stay in business really take care of their customers.
Hey boss, thanks. I popped the bike over to him tonight. He was really helpful said he's going to try and fix it asap.

He said the clutch was dragging, which also cause the engine to stall a few times so I'm hoping it hasn't done any damage?

As with the oil leak from the primary , I hope he can sort it. Doesn't make any sense, unless it's not from the primary? But don't see any other thing that could be leaking.

Cor I'm having a stressful week on top of all this me and the wide are going through ivf, man that's complicated and stressful. So fingers crossed all round.

Quick Reply: Getting so sick of this bike