EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Getting so sick of this bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 05:02 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Dazzauk
Any chance it would seal itself up with some dirt or old dry oil?

I can't see any other wet / shiny patches can't see any tracking or indication where it's coming from so can't tell if it's engine or primary oil.
There is a better chance of dirt fixing it than the mechanic you have been using being able to fix it.

Me personally I'd just ride it.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:15 PM
Dazzauk
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
There is a better chance of dirt fixing it than the mechanic you have been using being able to fix it.

Me personally I'd just ride it.
Yeah I hear you there boss

Are older or newer for that matter Harley's always this bloody troublsombe?? My dad rode this bike for near 20 years I've had it for 5 odd months and it's tested my mental state ha ha.

I think because of its sentimental value to me I just want the bloody thing perfect.

Old 08-29-2016, 06:17 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Dazzauk, been following the story. As others have suggested, maybe just ride it, especially if it's not dripping onto the surface under the bike.

The other way to go is to clean it up (the underside) every nook/cranny clean as a whistle, then inspect it scrupulously after each ride. If it's leaking take it back for additional maintenance, or tackle the chore yourself.

Me, I'd ignore it. You probably have better stuff to worry about than a small leak (if any at that) on your dad's former bike.

I've had several newer Harleys. None leaked nor gave any particular problem. My current ride either has a small leak, or it's the blowby from the breather (bottom breather engine via an open filter). It doesn't drip (so by self-agreement,it doesn't leak ) . I don't sweat it.

Ride easy, my friend...

Alan

Last edited by AlanStansbery; 08-29-2016 at 06:38 PM. Reason: further thought...meaning's the same...
Old 08-29-2016, 06:19 PM
Dazzauk
Tourer

Originally Posted by AlanStansbery
Dazzauk, been following the story. I think sometimes we all can get a little wrapped around the axle so to speak. As others have suggested, maybe just ride it, especially if it's not dripping onto the surface under the bike.

The other way to go is to clean it up (the underside) every nook/cranny clean as a whistle, then inspect it scrupulously after each ride. If it's leaking take it back for additional maintenance.

Me, I'd adopt the former path. You probably have better stuff to worry about than a small leak (if any at that) on your dad's old bike. Ride easy, my friend...

Alan
Thanks dude, probably some good advice

Old 08-29-2016, 07:02 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Your cage (car/truck) probably has more wet spots underneath it then your bike does so just ride it.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:18 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,139 Likes on 6,210 Posts

Just ride it.

I have had a couple minor problems with my bike over the years but nothing like what you describe.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:18 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,703 Likes on 1,988 Posts

Are older or newer for that matter Harley's always this bloody troublesome?? My dad rode this bike for near 20 years I've had it for 5 odd months and it's tested my mental state ha ha.

I think because of its sentimental value to me I just want the bloody thing perfect.

I sometimes think they are. I swear, sometimes I think I wrench on my bike for an hour for every hour I spend riding it. Then again, I will admit to being more than a bit obsessive. Then too, the bike is old and has traveled many, many miles.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:46 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by glidein wide
Your cage (car/truck) probably has more wet spots underneath it then your bike does so just ride it.
that's exactly what i was thinking.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:18 PM
Dazzauk
Tourer

Originally Posted by bagga
that's exactly what i was thinking.
Yeah I know guys I'm ocd about it being 100% oil tight.

I know she's 20 years old but it's the sentimental value you know my old fella has had bikes all his life so obviously I grew up around them he was in a few back patch clubs etc. I remember him taking me out on the wide glide when I was like 16, 17 & 18 now I'm 33 and I'm taking my wife out I love it.

Although I get paranoid about every noise, drip of oil etc lol.

Sometimes I think the modifications he done to it are not worth it as they seem to make it difficult lol.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:46 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Although I get paranoid about every noise, drip of oil etc lol.
You'll get over that in time.
Well you'll either get over it or drive yourself crazy!!!!!

Quick Reply: Getting so sick of this bike