dog316
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

like your bike nice

Old 08-29-2016, 07:53 PM
brad75raiders
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

So the results are in with a dyno tune and a tts jail brake on the ecm they have 79hp and 95tq.... that's 30,000 $ joke.
My 97 evo does that....

Old 08-29-2016, 08:03 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,080 Likes on 1,908 Posts

Originally Posted by 213_LooseNoodle
My question is, what plastic piece will bust off and destroy the engine? I love my EVO. I think it is the best looking engine and serves me well everyday.

I will say I hope the 8 is successful and solid so I can buy one from a Dr. in ten years.
Speaking of the EVO's looks, my first thought when they came out was.............Why does Harley want them to look like Virago's.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:02 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,138 Likes on 6,209 Posts

Originally Posted by brad75raiders
So the results are in with a dyno tune and a tts jail brake on the ecm they have 79hp and 95tq.... that's 30,000 $ joke.
My 97 evo does that....
Give it some time.

This engine has a lot of potential it just going to take time to figure out.

I don't know anything about tts or jailbreak or anything.

The dyno run I posted is bone stock.

Sadly, stock Evo's made what, 50 hp? These days 80 to 100 is common with an Evo.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:13 AM
brad75raiders
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

The tts tune is in the dyno section with a zip file if you need to tune the 107 or 114

Old 08-30-2016, 08:41 AM
IBDAGRIZ
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
Give it some time.

Sadly, stock Evo's made what, 50 hp? These days 80 to 100 is common with an Evo.
The thing is, the evo was the platform for all aftermarket scoots (still is mostly) and that's why we have 100hp evo motors today. It is also what drives the newer stuff to be better in power output or be left behind.

17 years of TC motors and there are none in aftermarket production scoots that I know of..

Just my opinion of course..

Griz

Old 08-30-2016, 09:37 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,701 Likes on 1,988 Posts

Originally Posted by IBDAGRIZ
The thing is, the evo was the platform for all aftermarket scoots (still is mostly) and that's why we have 100hp evo motors today. It is also what drives the newer stuff to be better in power output or be left behind.

17 years of TC motors and there are none in aftermarket production scoots that I know of..

Just my opinion of course..

Griz
When the Evo came out, Harley didn't bother to patent the design, so everybody studied it, reverse engineered it, copied it and improved it.

When the MoCo brought out the Twin-Cam, every aspect of the motor was patent protected. Anyone making an "improved" version could face a lawsuit for patent infringement. You can bet your boots that the M8 is also fully patent protected.

Patents are typically awarded for a period of 17 years. This means the patents on the Twin-Cam are about to run out (or have-I don't know exactly when the patents were awarded). Could this be another reason for the new motor to appear right now?

All the aftermarket development of the Evo and the investment in this motor design by the aftermarket, is, of course, a good thing for us.

Last edited by Uncle G.; 08-30-2016 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:45 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
When the Evo came out, Harley didn't bother to patent the design, so everybody studied it, reverse engineered it, copied it and improved it.
I suspect the design was so similar to the shovel that there were no patentable features. It was a safe design based on well established practice from around the industry. To patent something it has to have novel features which haven't been patented before.

When the MoCo brought out the Twin-Cam, every aspect of the motor was patent protected. Anyone making an "improved" version could face a lawsuit for patent infringement. You can bet your boots that the M8 is also fully patent protected.
They certainly found a way to defend their design from allcomers, especially the TC96! They seem to have relaxed things towards S&S in some way, as they are now producing replacement engines. Anyone fancy a 143"?

Patents are typically awarded for a period of 17 years. This means the patents on the Twin-Cam are about to run out (or have-I don't know exactly when the patents were awarded). Could this be another reason for the new motor to appear right now?
It's a long time since I last worked with patents, but it didn't used to be anything like 17 years. I wonder if the MoCo has found a way to use a registered design or some other form of protection.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:27 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,701 Likes on 1,988 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
I suspect the design was so similar to the shovel that there were no patentable features. It was a safe design based on well established practice from around the industry. To patent something it has to have novel features which haven't been patented before.

They certainly found a way to defend their design from allcomers, especially the TC96! They seem to have relaxed things towards S&S in some way, as they are now producing replacement engines. Anyone fancy a 143"?

It's a long time since I last worked with patents, but it didn't used to be anything like 17 years. I wonder if the MoCo has found a way to use a registered design or some other form of protection.

True. At the time, they were also more focused on survival. In the '90's, I remember H-D tried to copyright the "sound" of the engine. Public outcry led them to drop the idea.

I suspect that H-D might license S&S to build that engine. They seem to have a close relationship with S&S. I heard somewhere that S&S actually did the "factory remanufacturing" for H-D in the final years of the program.

Patent length may vary in the UK versus US law. Last I knew it was 17 years from the date the patent is granted (not applied for). Then again, I'm a tool and die designer, not a patent lawyer.

Last edited by Uncle G.; 08-30-2016 at 10:29 AM.

Quick Reply: The Evo is back - long live the Evo!