EVO All Evo Model Discussion

A'ight..why do Softail rear brakes wanna drag so much

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 03:43 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,118 Likes on 1,496 Posts
Default A'ight..why do Softail rear brakes wanna drag so much

So since I bought this bike early spring, the rear brake has been...less than desirable. Was used to my prior SHovel where I'd have to stand on that rear brake to lock it up sometimes...so I rode the Springer all spring/summer like this. But the rear brake squeeled under braking pretty annoying. Nothing wicked bad..but enough to sorta annoy me.

Finally had a weekend to work on her, ordered some EBC pads from Kirk...got the fronts done, easy peasy. Took the rear apart...did a "WTF is this" at that long W shaped retainer wire spring...and noticed that the old brake pads were stubborn to pull out. Old retainer clips fell out (expected). Put new retainer clips in, put new pads in..noticed how tight they are too! Did my usual brake pad prep...metal flat file to bevel edges, rough up surface with sand paper.

Went for a quick ride...after a minute...slight squeeking even while not braking. Steadily got worse..turned around went home. (wasn't far ride..just around block). Disassembled...reassembed. Cursing at that weird W shaped retaining wire. Same thing on the ride.

Took apart again last night...put back together without that W shaped retaining wire...same thing.

Is it just me? Or are those rear brake pads crammed in there so tight they can't really "float back" from the rotor when brakes are let off? Seems like once they squish in from depressing brake pedal, there's no way for them to let off the rotor.

I'm just used to the standard front brakes, banana caliper type, and the FX style in the rear...not this softail type.

Old 08-25-2016, 04:27 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

I don't guarantee that your problem is in the pads.
I remember someone having a problem like yours and it turned out to be the aftermarket rotor he had on the bike.

Old 08-25-2016, 04:28 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Have you flushed your brake line recently??

Old 08-25-2016, 04:38 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,703 Likes on 1,988 Posts

The problem is the pad shims aren't formed to a tight enough angle but that they create binding of the pads. Take out the shims and bend them a bit more with pliers or a bench vise until the pads are free to float.

Old 08-26-2016, 05:17 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Have you flushed your brake line recently??
When I bought the bike up in New Hampshire last March or whatever...they did fluid changes including brakes. Fluid in there is nice and clear. No junk settled on bottom...reservoirs look super clean. When I push in the caliper piston by hand, with the reservoir cover off...you can see a little guyser shooting up fluid in the reservoir. Making me think the lines are free and clear. Brake lines for the rear look all new, as does the caliper..looks quite new.

Rotor....I'll hold a metal ruler up to it ensure it's flat.

Old 08-26-2016, 05:21 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
The problem is the pad shims aren't formed to a tight enough angle but that they create binding of the pads. Take out the shims and bend them a bit more with pliers or a bench vise until the pads are free to float.
Hmm...gotcha. Yeah....I'm thinking this is the root of the problem...you really have to shove them on there...wicked tight fit. It's like...I bet they float better if I leave out those shiny metal shims. So yeah I'll try to tent them more...bend them so they're a tighter "Vee". Maybe sandpaper down the surface of the caliper mount that they lay against...

Old 08-26-2016, 08:02 AM
IBDAGRIZ
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 162 Posts

Also take a look at how the rotor sits in between the pads to ensure it is centered between them pretty evenly. You can use a spacer to center the rotor better if needed.

I've seen this cause rubbing, especially on my shovel rear going to aftermarket brakes.

Griz

Old 08-26-2016, 08:54 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Whenever I replace pads I clean the calipers, make sure the pistons move in and out freely and change the brake fluid - all of it. Don't matter if it looks clean, it's part of the brake refreshing routine.

It sounds to me that your piston is not retracting fully, which could be why it squeals and you have difficulty inserting the new pads. They should go in easily enough. One reason they may not be retracting fully is simply that there is too much fluid in the system, after pushing the pistons back.

In any event change that darned fluid!

Old 08-26-2016, 08:39 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
So I took them off...bent those shims into more of a Vee..and immediately noticed a big difference putting the pads back on. I figured for sure that was it..cuz they now slide back and forth VERY easily.

Took it for a short spin...danged squeeking started right up again.

Here's a pic after a blast down the street and back. I put the pads on clean...and this is what they look like after the ride.
I have a feeling I'm not putting that wire spring retainer thing back on correctly. Cuz something is pulling the outer parts of the pads together...based on that wear pattern. What you're looking at on the pads is after I sanded the pad surface down, wiped clean, put them on...rode down the road about 4 blocks..up to 50mph...and back. But I can only come up with 1x way it fits on.

Last edited by YeOldeStonecat; 08-26-2016 at 08:41 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:04 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,374 Likes on 2,948 Posts

We're your old pads worn in a taper? What if you were to re-install your old pads? Just to see if the squeeking was still there. You know to grease the backsides of the new pads, right? Not a lot, just a thin layer where the pistons touch the pads. HD would have supplied you with grease if you got HD pads. Don't know if EBC does the same.
I used EBC pads once. Only once. Ruined my rotors. Never again.

Quick Reply: A'ight..why do Softail rear brakes wanna drag so much