EVO All Evo Model Discussion

To much lean on jiffy stand

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 11:54 AM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
You might be trying to fix the wrong problem. You mentioned your wife has a hard time getting off and on the bike.

How is she getting on or off?

Are you on the bike when she gets on or off?

When I fuel up, I stay seated.
I don't get why someone would stay seated.

Old 08-27-2016, 02:53 PM
Pgh-mike
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 08-27-2016, 03:26 PM
FreedomRider
Road Master
Received 337 Likes on 241 Posts

IMO ... if you get the bike up straight too much and she shift her weight a little you risk the chance of it going over the on the other side ... I think your top photo is too straight ... and the bottom photo actually looks right ...

Old 08-27-2016, 03:42 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,139 Likes on 6,210 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerk
Seated isn't the right word. I stand up, but still straddling the bike without getting off of it.

Second picture without the wooden blocks looks right. The picture with the blocks is too vertical.

Harley kickstands are different than other bikes. They are longer and are more horizontal than other bikes which gives the illusion of the bike leaning over too far when in fact it is not.

I also noticed your bike does not have crash bars.

Last edited by Prot; 08-27-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 04:44 PM
Pgh-mike
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Zerk
Wife had a stroke. I have to help her on the bike.
I stay seated when I fuel also,but I get off the bike to pay
If my wife is with me say, I get off and she remains seated,rather than getting of the bike and going through getting back on. The trouble is when the bike is on the stand it is leaning so much she cannot comfortably remain in the seat!

The photo with the wood blocks is still leaning although it does not appear that way. This is how I park in my garage.

I think I may not have the correct stand. Never occurred to me that it may have been changed
I thought they were all the same

Old 08-27-2016, 04:59 PM
Prot
Club Member

I think I am going to have to sit on the passenger section of my bike with it in the kick stand. I might have an idea about something.

Old 08-27-2016, 05:19 PM
Prot
Club Member

Alright I got it figured out and essentially THC was right.

In order for me to stay in a stable secure position by myself while sitting on the passenger section, I had to shift my butt over to the right about six inches. I then positioned my body so that it was vertical instead of leaning with the bike. I was so stable in that position that I was able to let go and still be stable.

To dismount from that position, the best way I found was to swing my right leg over the tank then rotate counter clockwise a little. I kept my left foot on the passenger floorboard then simply stepped onto the ground with my right foot.

I did all of that by myself and my bike remained steady and I never felt in danger of tipping it over or falling myself.

Can you post a picture of the passenger backrest / sissy bar? I have an idea about something that could potentially cause some difficulty. I think I remember something about a few people's wives having difficulty if they have the arm chair type of passenger back rest because it is harder to shift positions like I described.

How tall is your wife?

Genuinely trying to help here, so if some of this seems silly, it is not intended to be.

Old 08-27-2016, 05:34 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,695 Likes on 1,151 Posts

Thank you Prot Ya saved me a bunch of typing. And the bike looks bout like mine on the JS

What Prot has suggested is pretty much what my wife does. She will on occasion stay on the bike with her butt scooted over to the right and some times (drivers back rest not on) put her right leg on top of my part of the seat. If it's to much for her troublesome hip she gets off... the bike.

My lady is not the little woman. The Jiffy Stand.. Jeezz what a name for a kickstand.. is plenty tuff. Believe me I know.

Good on ya for taking care of the Mrs.

WP

Last edited by WP50; 08-27-2016 at 05:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Pgh-mike (08-27-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 05:36 PM
Pgh-mike
Intermediate

Wife is 5'4". I do have the armchair type of back rest for passenger.

Also I forgot that I have one of those stock chrome grab bar that mounts under the seat. Forgot all about it. Never put it on because I was not sure how.

Old 08-27-2016, 05:39 PM
FreedomRider
Road Master
Received 337 Likes on 241 Posts

If you can find one the MoCo made what they called a Display Stand #99002-97 ... it attaches at the bottom of the engine guard and will hold the bike upright ... maybe this will do what you are looking for ...

Quick Reply: To much lean on jiffy stand