EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Need y'all's help w/ my Evo problem please.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 02:18 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikeys
Springer, I have tried the PC bypass but I'm forgetting in what order, so i will give it another shot...... Thanks

Dr Hess... I checked the manual method of code reading..... In stead of the engine light flashing out the bombers of the codes saved in memory, mine remains on and I have no idea what that means and can't find it in the book as even a possibility. Which sucks!

I have been determining that there is no fuel line pressure by:
1---- The noticeable sound from the fuel pump as it pressurized the lines is not heard.
2---- The fuel pump does not cycle as it should
3---- I can remove a fuel line and there is no fuel or pressure
4 --- No fuel is evident at any time in the throttle body

I'm open to other suggestions.

I will go and try to bypass the PC III again to make sure I didn't screw something up there. I can see how it is possible I would...... It's about 101 degrees in the shop, and I was already bordering on the side of being pissed off..... If you know what I mean........

Mikey
Can you run a jumper wire to the fuel pump to see if it works??
Yes I know it's new but I have had some parts that were bad right out of the box.

Old 08-28-2016, 03:37 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,689 Likes on 1,341 Posts

Measure the voltage at the fuel pump. When the ignition first turns on, the ECU should energize the fuel pump, at least momentarily. If it doesn't, the ECU is not turning on the fuel pump and I would suspect an ECU or wiring problem.

Note that I know EFI in general but I am not a HD EFI expert.

Old 08-28-2016, 06:20 PM
Mikeys
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

Ok y'all. Bypassed the PC III. It didn't help. Double checked continuity on all wiring on Fuel Pump. Again all was good. Ran a hot straight to pump. No work. Thought ground might be bad. Checked for continuity and it was good but ran a hot and ground to the pump. No good. Pump must be bad, but the pump is hot all the time and it stops due to a pressure switch when lines are pressurized. So ... Checked voltage along fuel pump wire. 0 found. So thought relay might be bad. It seems to work when checked, but no voltage or continuity from relay plug TO the fuel pump. WTF! Regardless of whether the pump is bad or not their should be constant voltage through that wire, or at least continuity!

Does anyone know if there Are any fuses in that wire I don't know about, or a fuseable in line link? I doubt it but......

Still hoping it begging for insight please.

Mikey.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:11 PM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 327 Likes on 221 Posts

Ok y'all. Bypassed the PC III. It didn't help. Double checked continuity on all wiring on Fuel Pump. Again all was good. Ran a hot straight to pump. No work. Thought ground might be bad. Checked for continuity and it was good but ran a hot and ground to the pump. No good. Pump must be bad, but the pump is hot all the time and it stops due to a pressure switch when lines are pressurized. So ... Checked voltage along fuel pump wire. 0 found. So thought relay might be bad. It seems to work when checked, but no voltage or continuity from relay plug TO the fuel pump. WTF! Regardless of whether the pump is bad or not their should be constant voltage through that wire, or at least continuity!

Does anyone know if there Are any fuses in that wire I don't know about, or a fuseable in line link? I doubt it but......

Mikey.
Are you using a manual? I have a manual, I can take a picture of the wiring diagram for you and send to you if you need....

Old 08-28-2016, 08:10 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,694 Likes on 1,150 Posts

Mikey.
The pump as a rule will atleast run for 2-3 seconds at key on. Disconnect the fuel line and run a hose to a bottle. turn ign switch on and see if you have a good squirt of fuel for a few seconds. If not what you have done in a test with direct wiring to the pump says a bad pump. The next step might be to connect a test light to the positive wire for the pump and see if it lights for a few seconds at least.

One other thing that I have done a good many times is to remove the air breather, spray some brake clean or B12 chemtool in the throat of the T body, crank engine and see if it fires up. I have kept an engine running for some time giving it little sprays at a time

WP

WP

Old 08-28-2016, 08:10 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,535 Likes on 3,054 Posts

There are two fuses under the right side cover on my '00 RG just for the ECM and fuel pump. (All the other fuses are on the left side.)

Old 08-28-2016, 09:12 PM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts

Hey Mikey - Look under your dash on top of the tank for a black wire with a spade connector, see if that has come undone or is not a good connection. You will have to remove the top nut near the speedo and the screw down by the seat to get it off. While under there make sure all of the other connections are good.