EVO All Evo Model Discussion

800 Miles After Ground Up Motor Rebuild and...

Old 08-29-2016, 08:52 PM
Tony_N
Road Master
Received 252 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Have you looked at that stuff in post #5?
That's one of the extinguishers I've looked at. Haven't made a decision yet THC.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:56 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony_N
That's one of the extinguishers I've looked at. Haven't made a decision yet THC.
If you find a good one let us know which one it is.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:20 PM
Tony_N
Road Master

Originally Posted by Schex3x
Did a braided hose chafe and short to battery cable or something electrical?

I'm not sure. Didn't see where the hoses were close to any wiring before this happened.

Originally Posted by aces&8s
Damn,That just aint right. Sorry to hear that. Take it down to the best rebuild shop in town and have the Insurance pay for a new project, custom paint and all.
Never heard of new braided lines failing. Something don't sound right.
When I blew a head gasket There was oil everywhere but no fire, and the engine was hot off the highway.

That's where it is now.

I hadn't hear of braided lines failing either, that's why I went with them. I'm not sure why, but I guess it was the right set of conditions for it to flash.

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
USA made and then china garbage is the other option you did not skimp he did

ask what he is going to do about it then send him a letter from your lawyer telling him to expect a bill, if he does not step up to the plate
When I dropped it off on Saturday he had already talked to the vendor and said it would be taken care of. Hopefully that will be the case.

Originally Posted by glidein wide
That sucks, before whipping out my phone I probably would have whipped out something else and started pissing on it !!!! Even braided line should not be close to exhaust, especially that close to the head as it looks in the pic . Hope you track it down, should not take too much to get her going again but it does suck.
I tried smothering the fire with some rags first. That didn't work. Didn't think about pissing on it since having worked in the petroleum industry for years, water on an oil fire doesn't work.

Originally Posted by HGM
Damn Tony, hate to see that!! I'm sure you're still sick over it, but it could have been much worse..

Yeah Greg it definitely has me bummed out. you're right, but luckily it wasn't worse.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:36 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,683 Likes on 1,339 Posts

Once on a weekly Sunday run to the beer joint at the lake, we all stopped at our usual gas station. Stormin' Norman (RIP) was on a shovelhead with a Linkert carb, if I recall, known to burst into flames occasionally. After we all gassed up and started (kick start bikes first in accordance with proper biker etiquette,) Norm's bike burst into flames at the carb. That carb had a top held on with screws and tended to leak. My friend PapaDoc had a can of beer that he kept in his windshield bag after watching someone put his (PapaDoc's) panhead out with a can of beer once. We tried that, but the fire kept on. Those of us with beer (it was Texas, after all) poured that on and it kept on going. I ran inside the gas station (in Texas, they ALL sell beer) to get more beer, and the clerk handed me a dry chemical extinguisher. I ran out and put out the fire with that. Norm stayed there while the rest of us continued on with the run to the ice house at the lake to drink more beer, and after we all got back, PapaDoc came back for him that evening with a trailer.

Now, my Esprit, when it burst into flames, I popped the rear deck lid, reached through the flames to grab my fire extinguisher, blasted it on the fire, zip, a neighbor came running over with a bigger extinguisher, useless. The VFD showed up and the car was ashes in 5 minutes. Personally, I think foam or don't bother. That's what we had on the ships. Foam generators. Do they make a portable foam extinguisher? I know you can get one to mount in your race car. The next Lotus I have running will have that.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:48 AM
Tony_N
Road Master

Apparently the beer / water wouldn't put out the gas fire. Either needed dry chem or AFFF Foam which is what's sometimes used at gas terminals. When I was with Amoco we kept totes of AFFF Foam in the warehouse. If there was a rolled over tanker, the fire department would use the foam to prevent a fire or if the tanker had started to burn. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefighting_foam

FireAde 2000, Fire Gone and Fire Command are all AFFF Foam. I'm not sure about Tundra.

Sucks to have lost the Lotus Doc!

Old 09-02-2016, 09:24 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I learned more than I ever wanted to know about A triple F in the Navy.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:10 PM
Tony_N
Road Master

After doing some research and talking to FireAde / Enforcer one, I'll keep FireAde 2000 in my saddle bag.
https://www.amazon.com/FireAde-Fire-...s=fireade+2000

It's a AFFF foam. It's used in NHRA cars and drag bikes with no damage to the engine.

Last edited by Tony_N; 09-13-2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:56 PM
Tony_N
Road Master

Got it back a month ago. Getting used to the Mustang seat which is definitely more comfortable on a long ride than the Fat Boy seat...even though the Fat Boy seat looked better.

Even after getting it back from the shop I found a few things that really pissed me off...the burnt overflow tube from the carb was never replaced which would have allowed gas to drip down on the jugs. Also the burnt overflow / vent line from the fuel tank wasn't replaced which would also have allowed gas to drip down on the jugs. A lot of soot still needed to be cleaned up. Not the follow through that I expected!

Old 10-29-2016, 09:39 PM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts

Looks good! Hope it burns the miles and not itself this time!!

Old 10-29-2016, 10:53 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony_N
Got it back a month ago. Getting used to the Mustang seat which is definitely more comfortable on a long ride than the Fat Boy seat...even though the Fat Boy seat looked better.

Even after getting it back from the shop I found a few things that really pissed me off...the burnt overflow tube from the carb was never replaced which would have allowed gas to drip down on the jugs. Also the burnt overflow / vent line from the fuel tank wasn't replaced which would also have allowed gas to drip down on the jugs. A lot of soot still needed to be cleaned up. Not the follow through that I expected!
WTF?? You'd think after a fire like that every hose would be replaced Besides, there's nothing difficult about that, particularly the ones you mentioned.

Anyway, glad you are rolling again!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 800 Miles After Ground Up Motor Rebuild and...