EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Rocker noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 01:53 AM
Big Panda
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rocker noise

Alright, I have ready many a thread about rocker/lifter/pushrod noise on these Evos. However I think I am just as confused as I was to being with. I noticed a "tick" on my '91 FLHS (7,000 miles) that is in time with the cylinder. It is most noticeable at idle but is heard all throughout the rev range and the noise speeds up and slows down with engine revs directly. It doesn't sound like metal hitting another solid piece of metal but sounds more like metal brushing another piece of metal, almost like a small exhaust leak. This is my first Harley and I know they tend to be "noisy" bikes and I have no problem with that I just want to make sure that I'm not ignoring a sound that may lead to a potential problem. The sound is definitely coming from the front piston rocker box area. That's as narrowed down as I could get it. I've read a lot about pushrods and lifters making a noise similar to what I am hearing. I just did a fluid change on the bike, all three fluids and the sound didn't change. I have yet to check the screen that I have read about people cleaning (because I don't know where it is or how to access it!). Really trying to avoid taking it to a mechanic as I used pretty much all my funds to buy the bike. I am fairly handy and a quick learner and would love to do as much work on the bike myself as possible. I am 99% sure everything on the bike is bone stock. Any help would be great.

Last edited by Big Panda; 09-11-2016 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-11-2016, 02:32 AM
Son of PMS
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47ljGG0XMa0&sns=em

The following users liked this post:
Big Panda (09-11-2016)
Old 09-11-2016, 09:17 AM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

An exhaust leak can sound just like a tick, so double check that, is the sound the same on a cold start also or quieter ? My finger in pic is pointing to the screw to access the screen, there is a spring there with it to hold it down. Inspect what you find in the screen for your own personal knowledge then clean with brake cleaner and reinstall. Your screw will look a little different from mine because mine is aftermarket for easier removal.

Old 09-11-2016, 09:18 AM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member

An exhaust leak can sound just like a tick, so double check that, is the sound the same on a cold start also or quieter ? My finger in pic is pointing to the screw to access the screen, there is a spring there with it to hold it down. Inspect what you find in the screen for your own personal knowledge then clean with brake cleaner and reinstall. Your screw will look a little different from mine because mine is aftermarket for easier removal.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:22 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

A good running EVO sounds like a pissed off sewing machine.
Does your bike sound like that?
If yes don't worry about it.
If no then try and locate the source of the tick you are hearing and let us know what you find.

Old 09-11-2016, 12:31 PM
Big Panda
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by glidein wide
An exhaust leak can sound just like a tick, so double check that, is the sound the same on a cold start also or quieter ?
The sound seems to be the same cold or hot. If anything it gets a touch louder when it's hot but that may just be my imagination.

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
A good running EVO sounds like a pissed off sewing machine.
Does your bike sound like that?
If yes don't worry about it.
That is a pretty precise description of what it sounds like which is why I wanted to come here and ask since it seems it may just be how these bikes sound.

Ill check the screen today and see how it looks.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:13 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Panda
That is a pretty precise description of what it sounds like which is why I wanted to come here and ask since it seems it may just be how these bikes sound.

Ill check the screen today and see how it looks.
I bet you're probably fine then.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:52 PM
engr146
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use lucus 20/50 and my engine and valve train quited rite down,I thought something was wrong with my bike when I first bought it 4 years ago.I won't use anything else.

Old 10-09-2016, 08:49 AM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member

I have a question... after installing the brass tube(rocker lockers) ,are they designed to be permanent until the shaft needs to be removed ? I assume you need to press them out and basically ruin them if you should need to remove the shaft, and reinstall new set. Would I be correct ???

Old 10-10-2016, 01:38 PM
Alienwulf
Supporter
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by glidein wide
I have a question... after installing the brass tube(rocker lockers) ,are they designed to be permanent until the shaft needs to be removed ? I assume you need to press them out and basically ruin them if you should need to remove the shaft, and reinstall new set. Would I be correct ???
I have removed them, if your careful, I just tapped them with the bolt and they slid right out and can be reused.

Quick Reply: Rocker noise