EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Primary Cover Drain Plug

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 08:37 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,863 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by FreedomRider
Had the same problem ... drilled it out and tapped it to 7/16 UNF ... I use a Stainless socket head cap screw that I undercut the bottom of the head a little to hold an o-ring ... I still use Teflon tape on the threads and have not had any problems ... I did remove the outer primary cover to do the work
Nicely done!

Old 09-22-2016, 03:20 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

Quick Fix: Wrap a lot of teflon tape around the existing plug.
Permanent Fix: Drill, re-thread, seal, and ride....

Old 09-22-2016, 04:32 PM
RLH3175
Stellar HDF Member

Received 2,411 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by Hackd
Quick Fix: Wrap a lot of teflon tape around the existing plug.
Permanent Fix: Drill, re-thread, seal, and ride....
It is holding for now with Hi-Temp silicone, so I am going to ride it until it starts leaking or this winter and then remove the cover and fix it.

Old 09-25-2016, 03:04 AM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I read all the posts and it sounds to me (duh) like the plug was over-tightened. So it's essentially jacked-up the outer primary. You can drill/tap for a larger plug. Or you can obtain another outer primary cover (with a nominal drain hole) and start over with a new 'stock' plug. As noted earlier, they are a tapered plug. For the record newer Harleys also have an o-ring seal. My '91 doesn't. Not sure what year they started that.

The plug on my bike didn't prevent a small drip every couple of days, when torqued to spec. I bought a new plug and tossed the old one. This solved my problem. I didn't use any goop. The plug was a couple bucks. It's too late for your outer primary, but for future reference.

Alan

Last edited by AlanStansbery; 09-25-2016 at 03:12 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:36 AM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AlanStansbery
I read all the posts and it sounds to me (duh) like the plug was over-tightened. So it's essentially jacked-up the outer primary. You can drill/tap for a larger plug. Or you can obtain another outer primary cover (with a nominal drain hole) and start over with a new 'stock' plug. As noted earlier, they are a tapered plug. For the record newer Harleys also have an o-ring seal. My '91 doesn't. Not sure what year they started that.

The plug on my bike didn't prevent a small drip every couple of days, when torqued to spec. I bought a new plug and tossed the old one. This solved my problem. I didn't use any goop. The plug was a couple bucks. It's too late for your outer primary, but for future reference.

Alan
I actually did the same right after I bought my '91. Had the same issue as everyone else. Few drops here and there. After my 1st Primary oil change I noticed the plug allen socket wrench walls were wore from years of use. Got new plug for a few bucks. Used a little teflon tape. No leaks since. But this is obviously no help to the OP, LOL.

I'd drill and tap to next size up "Pipe Thread". That's important as pipe threads are tapered. If he doesn't have this capability or access to the tools to do so, a local machine shop or Harley service shop should be able to help out rather cheaply by taking in the Primary cover. Save on the labor charge that way.