EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Stator Replacement '88 FXSTC Advice Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 08:18 AM
IBDAGRIZ
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
they told me that since a softail keeps it's battery in the middle of the oil tank the battery is subject to a lot of heat and a high amperage system would be a bad idea as it would cause the battery to overheat.
I wonder what they do differently on the newer softails with the 40-50 amp systems since it is the same oil tank/battery setup?

Griz

Old 09-22-2016, 12:09 PM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 349 Likes on 222 Posts

I've replaced these stators before. Not really a hard job. But the pre-1989 softails require removing the inner primary. That means unbolting the hard to get to starter. That then means maybe removing or at least loosening the oil tank to get at those starter bolts. That's the PIA part. I guess there's just no other way around it. But I will go Cycle Electric 32amp. HD's upgrade only works for 89 and up softails. Now I'll wait for parts to be delivered.
......It's always something!

Old 09-22-2016, 12:14 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by IBDAGRIZ
I wonder what they do differently on the newer softails with the 40-50 amp systems since it is the same oil tank/battery setup?

Griz
I don't know.
I didn't know the new bikes had 40-50 amp systems.
I can only go off what the Tech at Cycle Electric told me.

How sure are you that the new Softails have a 40-50 amp system??

Old 09-23-2016, 08:13 AM
IBDAGRIZ
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 162 Posts

I'm just going off the part number. The 2013 Heritage shows 30017-08 being a 40 amp stator.

Griz

Old 09-23-2016, 09:19 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by IBDAGRIZ
I'm just going off the part number. The 2013 Heritage shows 30017-08 being a 40 amp stator.

Griz
Cool!!!!
Maybe I'll look at upgrading!!!

Old 09-23-2016, 09:48 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

I don't know.
I didn't know the new bikes had 40-50 amp systems.
I can only go off what the Tech at Cycle Electric told me.

I don't know about that, I do know that your bike and mine had a 32 amp alternator stock.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:51 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,804 Likes on 3,311 Posts

As far as I know 32a was the highest output in an oem evo.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:10 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,790 Posts

Originally Posted by Bingee
The 1988 FXSTC, unlike the '89 and later, requires removing the inner primary in order to replace the stator. The service manual instructions to do the job reads like a horror story. Can anyone offer some advice to make the job easier?
It's not the job to learn how to work on Harley. It takes heavy duty tools for the comp nut. Screws tend to stick and break in old aluminum.
This is not exactly your's but close.
You got to be a good mechanic already if you have never done it and have the service manual and tools....The Harley service does not teach you, it just gives spec. to people who know the basics. After market parts on old bikes even require you to measure to make sure all is aligned. Read this....

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ssues-why.html

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:46 PM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 349 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
It's not the job to learn how to work on Harley. It takes heavy duty tools for the comp nut. Screws tend to stick and break in old aluminum.
This is not exactly your's but close.
You got to be a good mechanic already if you have never done it and have the service manual and tools....The Harley service does not teach you, it just gives spec. to people who know the basics. After market parts on old bikes even require you to measure to make sure all is aligned. Read this....

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ssues-why.html

I'm not a newbie to mechanical work on Harley's. I owned this bike since it was new off the showroom floor. It still looks new and original. It's not my only bike. I posted because the 1988 FXST/C is unlike any newer bike to work on. It's drive system is unique. One of a kind. The service manual is only little help since some key sections are abbreviated. I was hoping someone had experience removing the specific year 1988 inner primary. I can work my way thru it. But sometimes asking pays off. I've already rebuilt the engine. New oil lines. New wiring. New brakes. All OEM parts. The stator is the one exception to bump the amps.

Old 09-23-2016, 06:12 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,199 Likes on 5,396 Posts

Originally Posted by Bingee
I posted because the 1988 FXST/C is unlike any newer bike to work on. It's drive system is unique. One of a kind.
Personally I would just take the oil tank out as that gives you more room.
Unique? One of a kind? It is virtually identical to the shovelhead setup in use since 1970.

Tons of people will tell you it is doable without removing the oil tank..and it is easy to get the starter off without removing the oil tank...but getting it back on...without it leaking oil...is difficult at best. The old 4 speed type starter requires more finesse that the newer 89 up starter.

Do yourself a huge favor and completely remove the oil tank...takes 15 minutes if you have never done it before...after the oil tank is out of the way...the rest of the job is a piece of cake...in the long run you will actually save time...because the starter is so easy to install with the tank out of the way.

Quick Reply: Stator Replacement '88 FXSTC Advice Anyone?