EVO All Evo Model Discussion

84 FXR Seems like a dead battery, starter problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 10:28 AM
Badluckbikes
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84 FXR Seems like a dead battery, starter problem

I've read in many places on the internet this same problem but the forums just end without any definitive answers. Hopefully someone can help solve this.

Here's a video of my bike trying to start. It's with a brand new battery and relay. I can start the bike with a jump from a revving car and have tested the charging system at the battery; it's fine. I've had the bike for 2 weeks. It fired up right away when I bought it, let is sit for a day, then fired up again. Let it sit for a couple days then fired up right away. The starter always sounded sluggish. A few days later I went to start it up but the results were similar to the video. All the terminals have been sanded clean and the bike runs well when running.

I've heard that the Bendix gear can wear out so that's my next step. I'll remove the starter today. Please let me know if you have any solutions. Thank you.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:24 AM
IBDAGRIZ
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 162 Posts

Continuity to ground off of the starter lug is not a good thing. It comes to that spot from the solenoid, so that may be an issue. Try swapping the solenoid by the starter or rebuilding the one in there now and see if that cures it.

Check the voltage at that lug while pushing in the button and check the readings you get. Should be over 12 volts.

Griz

Old 10-19-2016, 12:06 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,497 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Continuity to ground...

Exactly how did you determine this?

Old 10-19-2016, 12:34 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,202 Likes on 5,397 Posts

Originally Posted by Badluckbikes

I've heard that the Bendix gear can wear out so that's my next step. I'll remove the starter today. Please let me know if you have any solutions. Thank you.

Doesn't sound like a bendix..sounds like the starter is struggling...high compression...mechancaly in a bind...worn out starter.

Pull starter and take to a starter rebuild place and have it tested.

That bike has the hitachi starter which wasn't the greatest when new...aftermarket places like all-***** have much better replacments if you need one.

Old 10-19-2016, 02:40 PM
Badluckbikes
Novice

Regarding how I determined continuity between ground and the starter terminal.

I used the continuity setting on my multi meter. The battery was hooked up but bike was off. I wasn't sure if when the solenoid wasn't engaged it maybe grounded the positive terminal of the starter. I'm going to test it while engaging the solenoid today.

Old 10-19-2016, 04:13 PM
Badluckbikes
Novice

I've done all the tests that are in the 1984 to 1990 service manual regarding the starter and solenoid. The starter test seems simple: measure amps between solenoid and starter. If amps are 75 or less, the starter is good and no further tests are required.

I did them and the amps were 20.

Solenoid tests all came back clean as well. Could someone test to see if their starter terminal is grounded? In my head it doesn't make sense but its not sparking everywhere so I wonder... what the hell do I know?

Here's another video:

Old 10-20-2016, 12:33 PM
WildBill_50
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Have you tried bypassing the solenoid with a direct connection to the starter? Connect a jumper cable to the starter terminal then touch the other end of the cable to the + battery terminal. If the bike turns over then your problem is probably the Solenoid or a bad cable. I have seen positive cables get so much corrosion up under the insulation that current enough current could not get through. Also even though you have a new battery make sure it is fully charged up. I just got a new battery for the Heritage and before I did anything I put it on a charger.

Old 10-20-2016, 05:03 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,497 Likes on 4,612 Posts

The continuity between the starter is normal. The current goes into the starter, through the coils and windings and other electrical bits, and then to ground.

The following users liked this post:
Badluckbikes (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 06:05 PM
Badluckbikes
Novice

Originally Posted by WildBill_50
Have you tried bypassing the solenoid with a direct connection to the starter? Connect a jumper cable to the starter terminal then touch the other end of the cable to the + battery terminal. If the bike turns over then your problem is probably the Solenoid or a bad cable. I have seen positive cables get so much corrosion up under the insulation that current enough current could not get through. Also even though you have a new battery make sure it is fully charged up. I just got a new battery for the Heritage and before I did anything I put it on a charger.
I have tried that. I posted a video of the results up a few comments. As for the battery, I jumped the bike and ran it for a while and checked the charging and voltage after I shut the bike off. It was all good.

I'm confident that I can rule out the battery. I took the starter and solenoid to the fix-it shop. I'll know more in a week.

I did find out that the positive and ground on starters share continuity though.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:01 PM
billzflhtc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default starter prob

My 86 FLHT had the same exact noise when trying to start and got to where it just wouldnt. I had tried the two relay deal put a new selonoid on it ect. Took starter to a old timer who builds alt/starters and he tore it apart while i stood there. The brushes were worn out and one of the "plates"? that they mounted on was charred. I left it with him and he said he would try to find parts. About three hrs later he called me saying he had found one in his parts stash and took what he needed out of it. The bushings he cut down from some others. This was maybe two yrs ago and it starts right up every since. Bet the brushes

The following users liked this post:
Badluckbikes (10-25-2016)

Quick Reply: 84 FXR Seems like a dead battery, starter problem