EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Heated grips on evo

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 12:30 PM
IRON1250
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Heated grips on evo

Anyone running the newer heated grips from the moco on their evos? Or what heated grips are you using?

Old 10-19-2016, 12:46 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,169 Likes on 6,217 Posts

To me, you are better off wearing gloves or heated gloves. If you wear good gloves, the heat from heated grips won't warm your hands. Then again, it doesn't snow down here, so what do I know.

Old 10-19-2016, 02:59 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Heated grips allow you to wear summer gloves. Although the only experience I have with them is on off-road bikes or snowmobiles with guards to block the wind. I recommend a good set of winter riding gloves even with heated grips if you don't have wind protection.
I'm not sure if it matters on a harley with steel bars but grips with warmers built in put less heat on the bar then the pads that slide underneath.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:00 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,169 Likes on 6,217 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamaharley
Heated grips allow you to wear summer gloves. Although the only experience I have with them is on off-road bikes or snowmobiles with guards to block the wind. I recommend a good set of winter riding gloves even with heated grips if you don't have wind protection.
I'm not sure if it matters on a harley with steel bars but grips with warmers built in put less heat on the bar then the pads that slide underneath.
Why wear summer gloves in winter? Again, down here we might see a couple of weeks at 29 degrees with the rest of winter being 40-50 and rainy, so I really am curious about all this.

Old 10-19-2016, 07:15 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

For me personally riding with winter gloves makes it hard to hit the buttons and work the levers. At least the bulky gloves I have. If it's in the 40s I wear heavy leather gloves on the harley and I always honk at people when I go to turn.
Maybe it's just me but I hate heavy gloves. And some heated grips get stupid hot. Its just a nice convenience I guess.

Old 10-20-2016, 02:01 AM
IRON1250
Road Master

Here in Nh I always want heated grips.

Old 10-20-2016, 04:37 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I've used heated grips over the years and they are fine in cold weather, as long as we wear winter gloves! On chilly summer evenings they will get you home in summer gloves. Like so many things in life they have their benefits but also short-comings. I've never bothered with heated gloves.

However back to Iron's question, the current heated grips replace the entire stock grip, including twistgrip, which isn't compatible with a throttle cable, so it doesn't look as if they will work. With a pair in the hand it may be able to see how to modify them, but they are also darned expensive! I'd be inclined to look for aftermarket ones first, which can be fitted over our twistgrip, after the rubber grip sleeve has been removed.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:57 AM
Gone Blue
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by IRON1250
Anyone running the newer heated grips from the moco on their evos? Or what heated grips are you using?

My 97' FLHTC-I came with the Harley accessory heated grips. Nice to have but not sure I would spend the money on them as I only use them once or twice a year early Spring or at the end of riding season. G.B.

Old 10-22-2016, 11:50 AM
IRON1250
Road Master

Originally Posted by Gone Blue
My 97' FLHTC-I came with the Harley accessory heated grips. Nice to have but not sure I would spend the money on them as I only use them once or twice a year early Spring or at the end of riding season. G.B.
Gone blue........that's what my hands look like without heated grips riding home this time of year at midnight.

Old 10-22-2016, 12:48 PM
Gone Blue
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by IRON1250
Gone blue........that's what my hands look like without heated grips riding home this time of year at midnight.
IRON1250, you know I didn't pay attention to what you are riding when I first saw this thread. The wind protection for your hands is way better with a Batwing fairing on a touring bike than your Heritage with a windshield. So yes, they work and you might get more use out of them than me. I typically ride through the first week in December here in the "D" and still don't use them much.

I don't know how old my grips are as they came on the bike when I bought it, but the only thing I am not crazy about is that the control **** on the end of the left grip is hard to turn. Both in effort and its hard to get your fingers on the ****. The **** is a rubber material and it doesn't stick out much. Really tuff to turn with gloves on. I normally set it for the ride, and since mine is wired into the accessory switch next to the ignition switch, I turn it on an off as needed while riding. Hope this helps. G.B.

Quick Reply: Heated grips on evo