EVO All Evo Model Discussion

96' EVO UpGrade Exhaust Opinions Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 05:44 PM
Asuperglide
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 96' EVO UpGrade Exhaust Opinions Wanted

On my long journey of slow improvements I'm now ready (found a couple lost bucks) to get the upgrades I'm been scoping for over a year now. I'm stage III my 1996 FLHTC (i). I'm converting to carb and duplicating the heads, cam & ignition that I had done on my '98 FXD. Not crazy but very fond memories of the performance of the FXD.

I don't want to go crazy (spend stupid $$) but looking for suggestions on an upgrade exhaust for this FLH frame set up engine. I prefer the dual set up vs the common single outlet.

Suggestions appreciated.

TIA

Old 10-20-2016, 07:17 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 651 Posts

Get a 2-1 with a dummy pipe if you must have duals like a supertrapp

Last edited by misfitJason; 10-20-2016 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:37 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,619 Likes on 2,094 Posts

I've got Supertrapp duals and really like them, they're pretty quiet but will bark when you get on them and flow very well. I had Thunderheader duals and they were able to give the same 87 Hp I had before the change but I chose to quiet them down so my TQ dropped from 92 to 87. I've surprised quite a few other bikes with bigger displacement that have challenged me. I like the flexibility of a "tunable" exhaust along with the sleeper look.

Old 10-21-2016, 04:51 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I'm cured of twin mufflers! Fit a SuperTrapp Supermag and enjoy the improved torque and quality ride.

Old 10-21-2016, 06:17 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,808 Likes on 3,313 Posts

I've had very good results with older Python III's staggered duals the hillside tuned in for my 98. When I went to the RB LSR 2-1 I only gained 3 hp and 1 tq. There are pic's in my profile albums, Dyno sheets and pipes. I thought the sound was perfect for an evo....

Old 10-21-2016, 02:23 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,165 Likes on 6,216 Posts

Large diameter mufflers will give a deep satisfying tone while taking away the raspiness. Even though a particular muffler might say it won't fit, many times it will with only a very minor adjustment in mounting etc. particular on these older bikes. I am a big fan of Rinehart. Rush can sound good too with the right baffles.

Big concern on touring bikes is having enough clearance for the saddlebags, especially if they are aftermarket or modified.

Old 10-22-2016, 07:57 AM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,698 Likes on 1,153 Posts

Duals Rush would get my vote. I was about to pull the trigger when a friend showed up at a ride with 2-1 D&D fatcats.

I liked the look and the sound of them as well. So I went with them.
The extra performance was a + and for what ever reason it smoothed some vibrations. The little bit of Buzz in the hwy pegs above 75 was gone

I have Rhineharts on a TC that are real niceloud on a trip. , the wife like them. Not as loud on a trip.

WP

Old 10-22-2016, 10:08 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,683 Likes on 850 Posts

On the TD exhaust, the sound of a Rinehart TD is the best but NO dyno tuner can remove the torque dip in a TD, it's just nature of the TD. Ran the Rineharts for a couple of years and a great sounding exhaust, just found a 2-1 was more favorable in tuning and performance. Another good TD is the Crusher system, head pipes are made by Vance and Hines, mufflers are designed by Mike Rolands and have put 2 sets on relatives 103"s and have a good sound plus the finish is top notch. Years ago engine guru John Sachs told me his racing exhaust buddy Mike Rolands was designing a TD exhaust and don't be afraid to purchase it, the Crusher was product of the year in it's debut.

The original 2-1 Pro Pipe is another good one for power and tuning that a everyday hose clamp can be used to add back pressure by blocking holes in the baffle, it's design is simple that works well. The packing in the rear of the baffle usually burns out in them, adding the packing back in gives them the deeper sound back while keeping the Pro Pipe roar present and the sound is unique.

I cut the left pipe off a stock Harley head pipe at the weld at the right pipe leaving a flange that can be clamped to a 2-1 pipe, used it for a ghost pipe on the left side during the use of the Pro Pipe and now supports a TD look on a 3" Dragos Dragula 2-1. Can tell this for a fact that too big of exhaust will suck the life out of smaller engine, when working on the big cube 127" engine, put the good running 89" back in and the Dragula was a disadvantage exhaust even for a 2-1 so bigger isn't always better in exhaust, it is just another component that needs matched.

Except for the Rineharts that getting a steal on, I buy exhausts used. Many many riders out there purchase multiple new exhausts and get rid of them quickly because they don't like the sound, lost 1/2 hp on dyno, their buddy has them, not matched to the engine cubes, don't like the looks after getting them on so if doing your home work and know what you want it is easy to get a good exhaust for $300 cheaper

Old 10-22-2016, 04:07 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1997bagger
On the TD exhaust, the sound of a Rinehart TD is the best but NO dyno tuner can remove the torque dip in a TD, it's just nature of the TD. Ran the Rineharts for a couple of years and a great sounding exhaust, just found a 2-1 was more favorable in tuning and performance. Another good TD is the Crusher system, head pipes are made by Vance and Hines, mufflers are designed by Mike Rolands and have put 2 sets on relatives 103"s and have a good sound plus the finish is top notch. Years ago engine guru John Sachs told me his racing exhaust buddy Mike Rolands was designing a TD exhaust and don't be afraid to purchase it, the Crusher was product of the year in it's debut.

The original 2-1 Pro Pipe is another good one for power and tuning that a everyday hose clamp can be used to add back pressure by blocking holes in the baffle, it's design is simple that works well. The packing in the rear of the baffle usually burns out in them, adding the packing back in gives them the deeper sound back while keeping the Pro Pipe roar present and the sound is unique.

I cut the left pipe off a stock Harley head pipe at the weld at the right pipe leaving a flange that can be clamped to a 2-1 pipe, used it for a ghost pipe on the left side during the use of the Pro Pipe and now supports a TD look on a 3" Dragos Dragula 2-1. Can tell this for a fact that too big of exhaust will suck the life out of smaller engine, when working on the big cube 127" engine, put the good running 89" back in and the Dragula was a disadvantage exhaust even for a 2-1 so bigger isn't always better in exhaust, it is just another component that needs matched.

Except for the Rineharts that getting a steal on, I buy exhausts used. Many many riders out there purchase multiple new exhausts and get rid of them quickly because they don't like the sound, lost 1/2 hp on dyno, their buddy has them, not matched to the engine cubes, don't like the looks after getting them on so if doing your home work and know what you want it is easy to get a good exhaust for $300 cheaper
So are you saying the stroker is back in the white bike? When did I miss this?
What happened to the Ultima?

Old 10-22-2016, 04:15 PM
Asuperglide
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

grbrown your killing me on the supertrapp...$700.00. I'm now leaning for a 6 speed so I'm coming to what I think is the perfect bike, EVO, FLH, Stage III Carb, heads. cam, ignition, 6 speed and exhaust. The idea is not to have the bike outlast what I have left. Thanks all for the comments!

Quick Reply: 96' EVO UpGrade Exhaust Opinions Wanted