Old 11-09-2016, 10:53 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,829 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Originally Posted by Beemervet
FXR
I
belive
It is and it's been played with some and repainted, had an 82 FXR still regret selling that bike. They had a few quirks but nothing major , biggest issue besides funky wiring is the pipes. If they were not installed correctly or been banged around the rear likes to come loose.

Old 11-09-2016, 11:40 PM
Hopper.
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
...I believe the 82 is the first year that Harley Davidson started to manufacture bikes after purchasing the company back from AMF. ......
Makes no difference. 35 years of previous owners will have wiped out any trace of original sin, whether it was down to AMF or the buyout crew, and inflicted worse.

Old 11-10-2016, 05:38 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,792 Likes on 3,303 Posts

Originally Posted by Spanners39
FXR usually means highly suspect wiring for some reason but if the loom looks unmolested and everything works it should be good to go.

Make sure oil flow is good and it doesn't leak or rattle more than it should and then ride it and see how it feels.

Shovels don't vibrate as much as you would think but it will still be more than your Evo.
Where would I find the bulk of the harness? would it be behind the side covers and dash? I'm not familiar with the FXR.

A couple other questions, Is this a rubber mounted motor and can a Kicker be added to the trans, 5 speed? I realize that if I can add a kicker the pipes will probably have to go.....

Old 11-10-2016, 06:38 AM
Ruggs59
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 84 Posts

It is a 8o" rubber mounted 5 speed. My X brother in has the same bike he wants to get ride of. Its been sitting in his barn for years. (rebuilt motor) but the rest of the bike needs work. I remember him saying the inner primary was a bitch to find (very rare) as he was hit on the bike at an intersection. Thus needing a new primary set up. A kicker can be added as he did that..

The following users liked this post:
98hotrodfatboy (11-10-2016)
Old 11-10-2016, 06:41 AM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Where would I find the bulk of the harness? would it be behind the side covers and dash? I'm not familiar with the FXR.

A couple other questions, Is this a rubber mounted motor and can a Kicker be added to the trans, 5 speed? I realize that if I can add a kicker the pipes will probably have to go.....
It is rubber mounted and a 5 speed. Not sure if a kicker kit is available for a 5 speed or not. Those pipes need to go whether you put a kicker on or not, IMO. Either factory headers with the crossover or a nice 2-1 like a Thunderheader would be my choice.

Your main harness will run under the dash, under the seat and to a junction under a side cover. I hadn't heard about wiring on FXRs being an issue, outside of mods by POs "making it their own".

Old 11-10-2016, 06:55 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,892 Likes on 2,549 Posts

Limited run or one year only bikes can be a challenge for parts. As other have said, you basically have an Evo with a Shovelhead motor. But as it was a first year bike with a limited run with the Shovel, certain things like pipes are going to hard to source. Not impossible, just more challenging.

My first bike was a 1979 XLH with a kicker, everything on that damn bike was one year only, NYC HD parts counter would chuckle every time I came in looking for a part (bike was only 8 years old at the time) can't even imagine what it would be like today.

All of that said, if the $$$ is right go get yourself a Shovel.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:33 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

That's sorted then, we will soon have an FXR shovel to 'play' with! Don't delay. As for that AMF era, I bought a new FX1200 in 1974. The wiring was a liability from new, paint was pretty poor, but it went like the wind. I can't think of any reason not to buy that '82! Don't bother fitting a kick starter, as you'll only regret it.....

Old 11-10-2016, 10:07 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,701 Likes on 1,988 Posts

Originally Posted by Architect
My first bike was a 1979 XLH with a kicker, everything on that damn bike was one year only, NYC HD parts counter would chuckle every time I came in looking for a part (bike was only 8 years old at the time) can't even imagine what it would be like today.
Yup, the local dealer used to refer to the '79 Sporty as the "Sportster from Hell." It was made to use up the leftover frames and some hardware from the discontinued XLCR "café racer".

Old 11-10-2016, 01:57 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 438 Likes on 252 Posts

Behind, covers, under the tank, under dash...switch it on, turn bars lock to lock and see if anything stops working.

Old 11-10-2016, 02:29 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,792 Likes on 3,303 Posts

Originally Posted by Spanners39
Behind, covers, under the tank, under dash...switch it on, turn bars lock to lock and see if anything stops working.
Good tip there, thanx......

Quick Reply: Oh Great Guru's