EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Oh Great Guru's

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 06:23 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,917 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Originally Posted by Architect
Limited run or one year only bikes can be a challenge for parts. As other have said, you basically have an Evo with a Shovelhead motor. But as it was a first year bike with a limited run with the Shovel, certain things like pipes are going to hard to source. Not impossible, just more challenging.

My first bike was a 1979 XLH with a kicker, everything on that damn bike was one year only, NYC HD parts counter would chuckle every time I came in looking for a part (bike was only 8 years old at the time) can't even imagine what it would be like today.

All of that said, if the $$$ is right go get yourself a Shovel.

2 years 82 and 83. They had shovels in that frame & tranny configuration back in 80 in the FLT's.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:36 PM
acman308
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If the price is right and it's what you want buy it.

Evo's and Shovels don't bring big money in my area but their aren't many for sale either.

Old 11-10-2016, 09:49 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,808 Likes on 3,313 Posts

I have not seen any close up pic's yet. I do know the bike is original and it's pretty close to exactly what I'm looking for except for the lack of a kicker. I have no plans of making a hot rod out of it. Just want that old school shovel and I can't think of a better chassis. not trying to get my hopes up about the condition but I'm truly going there to bring it home. I'm not gonna travel 300 miles just to say no thanx.... I can't pass up the deal.... I'll post up some better pics on Sunday.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:22 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Now that I think about it, a friend of mine had an 83 king of the road edition. It was a 5 speed evo bottom end and trans with a shovel top end. It was cool but some parts were tough to find. My first harley was also a 79 sporty, try finding a set of drag pipes.

Old 11-11-2016, 12:24 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,201 Likes on 5,397 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
it's pretty close to exactly what I'm looking for except for the lack of a kicker.
Putting a kicker on it will be expensive and quite an ordeal.

Nobody makes a kicker for that clutch release set-up...to put a kicker on it will require changing to a ball and ramp clutch release...which will require changing the trapdoor.

Once you do that...the quality kickstart kits require changing the mainshaft...and the 90-up shafts are the most common...which will require changing the clutch. 87-89 shafts are available...but no one seems to have them in stock

If you mostly want it for looks...there are lots of "el-cheapo" kits with an mainshaft extension...but you will still have to change the trapdoor and clutch release.

OK now for the pipes...pipes for a FXR shovel are VERY limited...and most likely none of them will clear a kicker.

So you will either be making pipes, or making a mounting bracket to make pipes from another shovel model fit...which is not as easy as it sounds...because of the rubber mounted motor.

Last edited by Tom84FXST; 11-11-2016 at 12:37 AM.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:00 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Grab it, Bob.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:47 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,923 Likes on 2,565 Posts

Bring cash and a trailer!!!

Old 11-11-2016, 07:57 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
Grab it, Bob.
Scott
I plan on it. What are you planning on it? Scott.... LOL.....

Originally Posted by Architect
Bring cash and a trailer!!!
Will a Pickup Do?

Old 11-11-2016, 08:08 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
Putting a kicker on it will be expensive and quite an ordeal.

Nobody makes a kicker for that clutch release set-up...to put a kicker on it will require changing to a ball and ramp clutch release...which will require changing the trapdoor.

Once you do that...the quality kickstart kits require changing the mainshaft...and the 90-up shafts are the most common...which will require changing the clutch. 87-89 shafts are available...but no one seems to have them in stock

If you mostly want it for looks...there are lots of "el-cheapo" kits with an mainshaft extension...but you will still have to change the trapdoor and clutch release.

OK now for the pipes...pipes for a FXR shovel are VERY limited...and most likely none of them will clear a kicker.

So you will either be making pipes, or making a mounting bracket to make pipes from another shovel model fit...which is not as easy as it sounds...because of the rubber mounted motor.
Thanx Tom,
I realize the time and cost on the Kicker and yes it would be more of a nostalgic look thing if anything but if I did do it I would do it right. I didn't realize that changing the main shaft would be necessary which would possibly lead to a new clutch basket. So that might not happen but I will take a serious look and properly research before making a finale decision.... who knows maybe a complete Baker trans.

As for the pipe, I already started looking at those and RB racing makes a nice ProStock pipe that will support it's self. If I have to I could manufacture a bushing mounted setup some how. For now I just want to get it home.... As time goes by I will make improvements or mods but I really don't want to molest the original beauty it already has.

Old 11-11-2016, 10:00 AM
Ruggs59
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Thanx Tom,
I realize the time and cost on the Kicker and yes it would be more of a nostalgic look thing if anything but if I did do it I would do it right. I didn't realize that changing the main shaft would be necessary which would possibly lead to a new clutch basket. So that might not happen but I will take a serious look and properly research before making a finale decision.... who knows maybe a complete Baker trans.

As for the pipe, I already started looking at those and RB racing makes a nice ProStock pipe that will support it's self. If I have to I could manufacture a bushing mounted setup some how. For now I just want to get it home.... As time goes by I will make improvements or mods but I really don't want to molest the original beauty it already has.

And dont forget that my BIL has this exact same bike in his barn that he could be talked out of for a song. (and it has the kicker installed)

The following users liked this post:
98hotrodfatboy (11-11-2016)

Quick Reply: Oh Great Guru's