EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Pinion Race Wwalking Out?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 07:42 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

Originally Posted by apples402
looking in the service manual this looks like the best option, you might get by with pressing it back but I doubt it would stay. Looks like the work is best done with crank out and by a machinist. That snapring is the thrust washer for the bearings, something caused this..
So, if the race has "walked" outward, that means the bearing can also walk out as well, since the retaining ring will move out along with the inner race. As an engineer with nearly 40 years experience, you'll forgive me if I say that this seems like a rather poor setup, as you are depending solely on a press fit between the pinion shaft and the inner race to keep everything together.

The following users liked this post:
Chris Sigo (11-18-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 11:16 AM
apples402
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
So, if the race has "walked" outward, that means the bearing can also walk out as well, since the retaining ring will move out along with the inner race. As an engineer with nearly 40 years experience, you'll forgive me if I say that this seems like a rather poor setup, as you are depending solely on a press fit between the pinion shaft and the inner race to keep everything together.
yep, seems a lip on the oil pump gear would stop all this, but just a guess, the flywheels must be out bad to push the race out.

The following users liked this post:
Chris Sigo (11-18-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 01:00 PM
Chris Sigo
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
The bearing actually did walk out a little bit before, which I noticed last time i was in there. The snapring had come off and was laying in the bottom of the cam chest. At that time the inner race hadn't walked out so I cleaned it all up, pressed the bearing back in, replaced pinion gears ( it was due anyway) and put a new snapring on. It wasn't until I tore into it for some winter head work that I thought to check how it was all looking in there. Glad I did.

Last edited by Chris Sigo; 11-18-2016 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-18-2016, 01:16 PM
Farm Shop
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Sounds like a good excuse for a set of 89 inch s&s wheels

Old 11-30-2016, 11:26 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,803 Likes on 3,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Farm Shop
Sounds like a good excuse for a set of 89 inch s&s wheels
Don't waste your yime on an 89"er go straight to a 96"er....you won't regret it....

Old 11-30-2016, 11:36 AM
Chris Sigo
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I got all the gears out of the way to get a better look at that race and the runout of the shaft.

Gave the race a very gentle tap with a piece of PVC pipe and a rubber mallet.... it slid right back in to place. WTF. I thought those were supposed to be pressed pretty snug on to the shaft.

There's also noticeable movement on the pinion shaft, so at this point I'm splitting open the case and getting the flywheels on a trueing stand. Also looking in to why that race is so loose. Could be the whole assembly is shot.

Old 11-30-2016, 11:42 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sigo
So I got all the gears out of the way to get a better look at that race and the runout of the shaft.

Gave the race a very gentle tap with a piece of PVC pipe and a rubber mallet.... it slid right back in to place. WTF. I thought those were supposed to be pressed pretty snug on to the shaft.

There's also noticeable movement on the pinion shaft, so at this point I'm splitting open the case and getting the flywheels on a trueing stand. Also looking in to why that race is so loose. Could be the whole assembly is shot.
Let us know what you find.

Old 11-30-2016, 02:20 PM
Tony_N
Road Master
Received 252 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sigo
Also looking in to why that race is so loose. Could be the whole assembly is shot.

On mine there was too much side play in the connecting rods. The crank was sent to Darkhorse CrankWorks. Once they took the crank apart, they determined that the inner crank bearing was shot and had to put oversizebushings and pins in the connecting rods. The cases were sent to Darkhorse and they repaired the Timken/Main bearing bore as main bearings were loose in case. Darkhorse also line bored and lapped the cases and put the bottom end back together and sent it back to my indy.

Smooth bottom end...but if I had to do it again I'd have gone with the 89 crank and probably upped it to a 96.

Last edited by Tony_N; 11-30-2016 at 02:23 PM.