EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Creative help

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 05:01 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Talking

We can't be creative without spending a lot of your money - it's what we do!

Old 11-21-2016, 06:21 PM
Dgaroutte
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mr. GR Brown would you please call my wife and explain to her that I need money for my motorcycles. She doesn't seem to understand the concept of customization/dressing up a bike. Sure enough she's an antique of any sort, the money flows freely. You'd think after twenty eight years we would see eye to eye?????

Old 11-22-2016, 05:38 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Dgaroutte
Mr. GR Brown would you please call my wife and explain to her that I need money for my motorcycles. She doesn't seem to understand the concept of customization/dressing up a bike. Sure enough she's an antique of any sort, the money flows freely. You'd think after twenty eight years we would see eye to eye?????
Ah - you mean there are hurdles we have to clear?! I'm not sure I have enough reach, from across the Atlantic - not that I'm trying to duck the issue you understand!

Old 11-23-2016, 08:43 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,138 Likes on 6,209 Posts

I wanted to change the gold pin stripes to black, but since you said you are trying to do this on the cheap, I left them as they are and instead concentrated on stuff that can be cheap and easily.

Last edited by Prot; 11-23-2016 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:33 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,792 Likes on 3,303 Posts

Originally Posted by Dgaroutte
A tan seat might look good, but for now I don't want to spend a lot of money. I was laid off in July and don't plan on going back to work until next year. This a second bike. For now I can powder coat and have plenty of red and black and more time than I know what to do with. The chrome is not the best as I live five minutes from the Pacific and the humidity is always high. The bike is now kept in a garage with a dehumidifer constantly running, but the less chrome means less polishing and more time riding (the EVO of course). Please keep the ideas coming because I am not opposed to doing more to this bike as it will be a permanent fixture in my garage. I just need to make sure I go back to work first before spending much money.
Sounds like to me that Vinyl is your only choice at this point....

Old 11-23-2016, 02:16 PM
Dgaroutte
Advanced

Prot, thanks! that looks great. Would it be difficult to change the black to red? I just powder coated the bag rails etc. red last Saturday. If it's just the click of a button or two I would be greatly appreciative. I could easily re-do them, but kind of wanted to do something besides black. I don't have a lot to offer you in exchange, but if you ever want to come to Japan I can offer you a guided trip around the country and a place to stay. If you have an international license you can ride the red sled. Are you using Photoshop for this? Is it difficult to do? I have Pagemaker and Photoshop but only used it once to scan photos for a book I edited--I didn't do the layout or design, just translating and editing.

Last edited by Dgaroutte; 11-23-2016 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:23 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Personally, because I'm about to change my bike from gold to red and use my leftover gold as pin stripes, I would match the gold and red and go old school with a double pinstripe and use the red on other parts to pull it together. I usually paint stuff myself to keep it cheap. Its fun to learn new stuff too.

After my current car I can't say the word vinyl without getting a headache, that vinyl top was holding so much rust I'm surprised the roof is still there.

But anyway what style or better yet, era of motorcycles do you like? I'm in a late 60s early 70s funk myself.

Old 11-23-2016, 05:12 PM
Dgaroutte
Advanced

For cars, I prefer late 60's early 70's truck. I have 72 Blazer 4wd in Texas that I have had for about twenty years and now doing a full restoration on, but only work on it about a month out of the year when I return for summer vacation. Here in Japan I have a 97 Ultra and the 99 Electra glide. I would like to find an older bike, maybe an 85 FXR, but they are hard to come by. I am the luckiest person here with the garage that I have, just no room for another car. Most old things are discarded here. For example, I drive an 02 Honda Odyssey with 50k miles that I got for $1500. It will be crushed when I get rid of it.

As for learning new things hd forums has been a wealth of information. The people here are absolutely great. I've attached a couple of pictures of my powder coating set up that I am now using on my red EG.

Attached Thumbnails Creative help-pc.jpg   Creative help-pc3.jpg   Creative help-pc4.jpg   Creative help-bikes.jpg  
Old 11-23-2016, 09:00 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,138 Likes on 6,209 Posts

I use Photoshop Elements on my MacBook Pro.

Do you want me to change the pieces I made black to red?

I used to ride a Sportster in Yokosuka. My first ship, USS Thach FFG 43, was homeported there. I was onboard it from 1991-1993.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:54 PM
Dgaroutte
Advanced

Yes please the black to red. My wife is a teacher at Yokosuka base. We have been here for 17 years. I have been teaching in the Japanese schools and editing until July when I was laid off. I have my application in and am awaiting my background check and then I will start teaching at the junior high at Yokosuka too. We absolutely love it here and plan on staying for another 15 years until we retire.

Quick Reply: Creative help