EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Front Brake Light Switch

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 06:08 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Front Brake Light Switch

I've got a '91 FLSTC. I decided to install some beach bars. Everything fit ok, cables, wires...but after I got everything back together I had no brake light, using the front brake.

I took it back apart and found a 1-1/4" x 3/32" spring loose inside the master cylinder perch. I don't see a switch. My MC 'internals' don't look like those in my manual nor like anything I've been able to find online.

The shaft in mine (which the brake-lever pushes and which in turn pushes the M/C piston) has a 'paddle' on it. I'd expect that paddle to push against a switch. But I see no switch. It's not laying on the floor. There are no wires in the perch.

All I can think is there was some type of Harley 'magic' at work, making the brake light illuminate when the lever was pulled, and I let the 'genie' (or whatever the hell it was) out when I futzed around with the bars . If anyone's got an alternative explanation, I'd be much obliged to hear it. I don't even know where to start with this, other than taking everything apart and staring at it some more, hoping for enlightenment...

Thanks,
Alan

Old 11-20-2016, 06:29 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Loosen your switch housing and roll the whole assembly forward just a bit.

Believe it or not this worked on mine a couple of times.

The following users liked this post:
AlanStansbery (11-21-2016)
Old 11-20-2016, 07:53 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

Not sure if I missed it but does your brake light stay illuminated? If the switch breaks, it breaks on. THC might have the solution. Not sure why it ain't giving a different symptom.

Old 11-20-2016, 11:00 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior

Brake light is off unless I hit the foot brake. I'll loosen/turn the assembly see what happens.

Any idea about the skinny little spring? It must DO something, right?

Alan

Old 11-20-2016, 11:16 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,144 Likes on 6,211 Posts

There is a small eraser sized button on the forward face.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:21 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
There is a small eraser sized button on the forward face.
^^^ This. It's on the grip portion of the assembly. The small lever that activates the switch is on the brake lever portion.

If you don't get the small lever that is in the brake lever portion of the control aligned with the button in the throttle portion, the brake light won't function correctly. A lot of times, it will cause the brake light to remain on, which (if equipted) will cause the cruise control not to work.

I had this problem on my 93 FLHS, and it drove me nuts for a few days. The best method is to loosen both the grip and the lever portion, and align them, before fully tightening down. You must hold the two parts of the control together, or it will slip out of alignment.

Easier to do, than to describe....

Old 11-21-2016, 11:17 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,703 Likes on 1,988 Posts

What I've found to work, when putting the switch housing halves together, is to pull the front brake lever in (like you would apply the brakes), while pulling the two halves of the switch housing together. That will allow the brake switch to find it's own alignment without getting caught on the brake lever.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:48 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Alan, we're on the internet old chap, you can check details like that using an on-line parts website! The switch is inside your r/h switch assembly.

Old 11-21-2016, 09:36 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior

Thanks everybody for the assist. I have enough info to go forward now.

alan

Old 11-22-2016, 07:12 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior

Providing a little follow-up for someone who might have the same issue, in the future...

I mentioned I'd found a spring (dimensions in the first post) inside the right brake housing. Turns out this spring was part of the brake switch. The spring fits inside a small 'button' (Prot's term). The spring keeps the button in contact with a 'paddle' on the brake lever when the lever's at rest (no brake). When you pull the brake lever, the paddle moves away from the button; when the button reaches its full travel (the brakes are now on) the switch 'trips', activating the brake light. (NC switch). Hope that makes sense. I believe it's accurate.

In my case, the button is nowhere to be found. I must have broken it off when I reinstalled the right-hand controls after replacing the bars. I looked for additional pieces on the garage floor (after I found the spring) but you know how that goes...garage floors are 'black holes'.

As Hack'd surmised, you'd expect the brake light to stay on if the switch button was not being depressed by the brake lever. In my case, I ganked-up the switch so bad it 'thinks' it's open all the time, i.e., it's no longer a switch.

They sell the replacement switch and I ordered a Drag Specialties version from Parts Giant a little while ago. $17.60 with free shipping.

Again, thanks all you guys for the help. It's appreciated.

Alan

Last edited by AlanStansbery; 11-22-2016 at 07:17 PM.