EVO All Evo Model Discussion

85 FLT, looking for sugestions and ideas

Old 11-21-2016, 11:22 PM
Kyle Oden Patrick Hanson
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 85 FLT, looking for sugestions and ideas

I just picked up my first Harley. A 1985 FLT with a 1349 Evo and a 5 speed. Like i said I'm looking for suggestions on what to check and fix first for safety, then upgrades later for more fun. I plan to do some fairly long rides as well as going around town.

So far I've heard and read that the rear swing arm bushings can be an issue and should be replaced or upgraded. Does anyone have any expirience with these upgrades? what are the options? If these are solid is the touring link type of stabilizer for the rear still helpful?

I also already broke the two fingered piece in the clutch release assembly and was wondering if there is a stronger replacement? this one seemed to be made of powdered metal and gave way without warning. or what it would take to upgrade to a newer clutch release or a hydraulic clutch?

The primary chain is also fairly warn and I was wondering about the different options like a belt drive, different tensioner and different clutch options and what peoples opinions are there.

after the safety stuff is taken care of I'm hoping to install new suspension front and rear, a two into one exhaust, and a mild build/ rebuild on the motor and some sort of new headlight surround maybe a road king nacelle or something like the cover on roland sands pm bagger if i can find it. http://www.rolandsands.com/blog/74/pm-bagger

Also if anyone has any ideas on how to cover the weird center console on the take that would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Kyle Oden Patrick Hanson; 11-21-2016 at 11:32 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:57 AM
81rat
Road Warrior
Received 438 Likes on 270 Posts

Hello Kyle and welcome to the form , I have a '80 FLT , if you are going to change the headlamp cowl then you have to change the dash also , you want to do something with the tank -- I have a tank made for a speed-o-meter --- we need to talk about swapping some parts ???

The following users liked this post:
Kyle Oden Patrick Hanson (11-22-2016)
Old 11-22-2016, 05:07 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Hi from the UK and welcome to HDF. As for some of your queries:
  • Stock swingarm bushings are called cleve blocks and can flex as well as break down over time. There are solid replacements available in the aftermarket, see below.
  • A rear stabilizer is a jolly good idea, but there are many out there. True-Track is original and best IMHO and also sell swingarm bushings to replace cleve blocks!
  • The stock clutch part is perfectly strong enough, you simply have no idea what abuse yours has had to endure over the last 32 years! Replace with stock. Mine has been fine for the last 26 years '90 bike, owned from new).
  • Replace your primary chain with stock or aftermarket, but also check the sprockets, as the comp in particular can wear. Installing a belt primary is of doubtful merit IMHO. An M6 tensioner is a great improvement over stock.
  • 2-into-1? Supertrapp Supermeg - brilliant!
That's enough for now.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:41 AM
WVICEMAN
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats, I have an 85 also and love the bike. Take your time and do it right and that bike will treat you well

Old 11-22-2016, 12:49 PM
Kyle Oden Patrick Hanson
1st Gear

Originally Posted by grbrown
Hi from the UK and welcome to HDF. As for some of your queries:
  • Stock swingarm bushings are called cleve blocks and can flex as well as break down over time. There are solid replacements available in the aftermarket, see below.
  • A rear stabilizer is a jolly good idea, but there are many out there. True-Track is original and best IMHO and also sell swingarm bushings to replace cleve blocks!
  • The stock clutch part is perfectly strong enough, you simply have no idea what abuse yours has had to endure over the last 32 years! Replace with stock. Mine has been fine for the last 26 years '90 bike, owned from new).
  • Replace your primary chain with stock or aftermarket, but also check the sprockets, as the comp in particular can wear. Installing a belt primary is of doubtful merit IMHO. An M6 tensioner is a great improvement over stock.
  • 2-into-1? Supertrapp Supermeg - brilliant!
That's enough for now.

Actually I know clutch release was replaced less than a year ago by the previous owner and other early FLT owners have had similar issues, HD switched to the ball and ramp type release from the fork/ lever design that is currently on my bike I think in 87 or 88 but could be different for the UK from what I've found and am interested in making that update. granted i'm pretty sure something must be misaligned to cause that piece to fail so quickly. Or it may have been a cheap off brand replacement, it seems to be made of a powdered metal that crumbled like sand after it broke.

Thanks for pointing me to the M6, the supermeg, and truetrack and I think I'll work with someone more knowledgeable to make sure everything is right when i replace the primary and check those other parts for wear as well.

thanks again.

Originally Posted by 81rat
Hello Kyle and welcome to the form , I have a '80 FLT , if you are going to change the headlamp cowl then you have to change the dash also , you want to do something with the tank -- I have a tank made for a speed-o-meter --- we need to talk about swapping some parts ???

I'm not sure i want to get completly rid of this tank i actually like the squared off sides, the center console just kinda ruins the look, but ill let you know when i get closer to doing that stuff.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 11-29-2016 at 07:06 AM.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:49 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Red face

Originally Posted by Kyle Oden Patrick Hanson
Actually I know clutch release was replaced less than a year ago by the previous owner and other early FLT owners have had similar issues, HD switched to the ball and ramp type release from the fork/ lever design that is currently on my bike I think in 87 or 88 but could be different for the UK from what I've found and am interested in making that update. granted i'm pretty sure something must be misaligned to cause that piece to fail so quickly. Or it may have been a cheap off brand replacement, it seems to be made of a powdered metal that crumbled like sand after it broke.

Thanks for pointing me to the M6, the supermeg, and truetrack and I think I'll work with someone more knowledgeable to make sure everything is right when i replace the primary and check those other parts for wear as well.

thanks again.
I've checked and you're right about your earlier style of clutch mechanism, sorry about that mix-up. And we don't usually get different spec bikes to you chaps, here in the UK!

I'm not sure i want to get completly rid of this tank i actually like the squared off sides, the center console just kinda ruins the look, but ill let you know when i get closer to doing that stuff.
We have one member who came up with a nice alternative, a piece of wood set into the recess, skillfully shaped and polished IIRC.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 11-29-2016 at 07:07 AM.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:39 PM
hdvespa
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a 85 Flhtc. I was breaking that fork in the clutch everyvfew years. Got to the point I kept extras on the bike and tools to change it out on the side of the road. All 5 speed cases are basically the same so I changed the trap door out with a newer style to use the ball n ramp style. I made that change at least 10+ years ago and it's still going strong. I also changed the Cleve blocks with new ones a while back. Also look on eBay for take off shocks for late 2000 dressers.

Old 11-22-2016, 10:14 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have great plans for your new bike.

Have fun, just as we'll have fun spending your money!!!

Old 11-22-2016, 10:37 PM
Kyle Oden Patrick Hanson
1st Gear

Originally Posted by hdvespa
I have a 85 Flhtc. I was breaking that fork in the clutch everyvfew years. Got to the point I kept extras on the bike and tools to change it out on the side of the road. All 5 speed cases are basically the same so I changed the trap door out with a newer style to use the ball n ramp style. I made that change at least 10+ years ago and it's still going strong. I also changed the Cleve blocks with new ones a while back. Also look on eBay for take off shocks for late 2000 dressers.
When you did the swap did you need to change any thing in the transmission? or the cable? or can i just buy the housing and the ball and ramp setup and bolt it on?

thanks for the idea on the shocks, is there a cut off year? any ideas to adjust front to match?

Last edited by Kyle Oden Patrick Hanson; 11-22-2016 at 10:50 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:45 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

thanks for the idea on the shocks, is there a cut off year? any ideas to adjust front to match?
Touring bike shocks right up to date will swap over to your bike. They often come up for sale on Ebay, maybe also in the HDF classifieds. There are two versions, nominally 13" the same as yours, also 12", which should be avoided IMHO. Owners frequently trade from one size to the other, which is why they are available, also Sportster owners like them!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 85 FLT, looking for sugestions and ideas