EVO All Evo Model Discussion

84 Harley FXRT Wiring Harness Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 06:27 PM
ezridermn
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84 Harley FXRT Wiring Harness Question

I am trying to bring my FXRT back to life. I am stripping down to the frame and am going to build it back up.

At this point I want to remove the pins from the connectors but am finding it difficult to accomplish. I checked some things online and thought I learned what I needed to know. But to this point I can't get the pins out of the connectors.

I have attached a picture of the connectors to this post so you can see what they look like. I also attached a picture of a tool I bought that I thought would work. Either it is not the right tool or I don't know how to use it.

Can you tell me what this type of connector is called and then how to go about removing the pins?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Attached Thumbnails 84 Harley FXRT Wiring Harness Question-15.jpg   84 Harley FXRT Wiring Harness Question-14.jpg  
Old 11-25-2016, 07:54 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

It is an AMP connector.
The first time I did mine I used a small paperclip that I straightened out and then folded in half.

You have to push the wire into the connector then depress the tang that holds the male/female pin in then you can pull the wire out of the connector.

Some come out easy and others are a real PITA to get out.

Make sure you make a diagram of where the wires and bridges go so that you don't get them crossed when you put it back together.

Old 11-25-2016, 07:57 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Just out of curiosity why do you want to pull the pins out of the connectors???

There isn't really a reason to unless your gonna replace your harness or part of your harness. IMO

Old 11-26-2016, 08:42 AM
Rob85WG
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe the pins are similar to Molex brand. Here is a picture showing the locking tabs. The removal tube is slipped oven the pin to pres in the tabs. The tabs can get stuck in the plastic so pressing the wire into the connector will free them, then slide the tube over the pin and pull the wire out the back of the connector.

Attached Thumbnails 84 Harley FXRT Wiring Harness Question-molex.jpg  
Old 11-26-2016, 12:50 PM
yellowstone kelly
Tourer
Received 101 Likes on 72 Posts

Rob85WG and texashillcountry are exactly right.

You need to choose the tool with the hollow tube that just fits over the pins. As Rob stated, first push the wire and pin INTO the back of the connector as far as it will go and hold it there while you slide the correct-sized tube of the tool down over the pin to force the locking tab back in alignment with the hole in the connector, so it's no longer sticking out to the side. Once the tube is pressed all the way down the pin, and the locking tab has been pushed back into the pin, pull the wire and pin backwards out of the connector and out of the tool. Sometimes you have to wiggle the tool around a little to get the locking tab recessed far enough.

In the first connector picture, in the top row of male pins, the pin on the far left appears to have its locking tab bent badly to the right side. In the same row of pins, on the one second from the right, you can see the locking tab sticking out only slightly to the right. Both of them will have to have the locking tabs straightened out by the tool before the wires and pins will slide out the back end of the connector.

Last edited by yellowstone kelly; 11-26-2016 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:14 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,703 Likes on 1,988 Posts

I've never been able to get that Amp/Molex removal tool to work for me, either. The tubing is a bit large to compress the lock tabs enough to release the contacts. I USED to have a piece of stainless steel tubing I scrounged from work that fit perfectly, but I lost it many years ago. Now, I just use a dental pick to bend the tabs and remove the contacts.