EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Evo Addiction

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 07:27 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Evo Addiction

I'm soliciting opinions. I'm considering purchasing a 1990 FXR Superglide. It's being sold by a dealer. Obviously from a dealer it's going for top dollar for the model/year, but I'm not so concerned about that. It's considerably less than a new Sportster 1200, and within my budget. My concerns are more technical...

I've read several threads, during my research, that single out the 89/90 engine cases as particularly problematic--the case bearing race insert, being the most immediate potential problem. I already own a '91. Is the '90 any more risky in this regard than what I already own?

Finally, any other information, for or against a '90 FXR?

Thanks,
Alan

Old 11-29-2016, 08:24 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,144 Likes on 6,211 Posts

I think it comes down to the individual bike and how it has been maintained and how much it has been abused or ridden hard.

These old bikes will tell you what is wrong with them, if anything, if you know how to listen to them. That is something that most technicians at a dealer don't know how to do and mechanics from bygone days were experts at.

That also is how I differentiate between the word technician being used today vs the word mechanic.

I know it is an FXR, but that doesn't mean you should empty out Fort Knox for it. They are good bikes, but in many cases, people selling them think that selling an FXR is their golden parachute retirement. There was a guy on here not long ago had brand new CVO FXR2 or FXR3 he was trying to get an absurd amount of money for. He wasn't too happy when people told him it was worth between one third and one fourth of what he was asking.

Bottom line, be prepared to walk away instead of making the emotional buy that you will come to regret later, once logic kicks in. They are not rare, limited production, or anything of the sort.

The following users liked this post:
AlanStansbery (11-30-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 08:26 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

I'd ride my '90 to the ends of the earth.

98.532% of the things you read are just people regurgitating what they have read themselves. I wouldn't sweat any of it.

Besides, if something breaks, just fix it. Evos are so simple, there's nothing you can't do.

Last edited by 0maha; 11-29-2016 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:46 PM
daven9113
Road Master
Received 293 Likes on 199 Posts

Price is right, looks good, no major upfront investment for fixes, then it would be cool thing to have. 1990 was the first year with CV carb on big twin, and also first year of splined tranny shaft. Only one exception, it is a one year only tranny shaft length. Harley went to different length in 1991 on up. No big deal really. Good luck.

Old 11-30-2016, 05:58 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,803 Likes on 3,311 Posts

I have read that 89 and 90 cases were prone to cracking (not epidemic but more than normal) at the tappet area which at one time HD was replacing them but that was many years ago. Other than that haven't heard much.... It could've happened to that one and was replaced already. You might be able to find out through Harley with the vin... Then again if it looks good now, then I don't think it would be a concern.....

Old 11-30-2016, 08:57 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,703 Likes on 1,988 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
I have read that 89 and 90 cases were prone to cracking (not epidemic but more than normal) at the tappet area which at one time HD was replacing them but that was many years ago. Other than that haven't heard much.... It could've happened to that one and was replaced already. You might be able to find out through Harley with the vin... Then again if it looks good now, then I don't think it would be a concern.....
if the engine cases were replaced by Harley, they would carry the original VIN number. My remanufactured engine does.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:50 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
if the engine cases were replaced by Harley, they would carry the original VIN number. My remanufactured engine does.
That would be correct and it should be on file....

Old 11-30-2016, 06:40 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I walked away from this. There was a certain amount of 'mickey mouse'. For example, the turn signals were after market and not well done. The rears had black electrician tape around them, presumably to hold them together. They also had no lenses, just the raw amber bulb. Other similar shortcomings made me wonder what was inside the cases and tranny.

Speaking of cases, they were Delkron. The originals must have had an issue. The paint looked great online, but had various major flaws when viewed in-person. It just had the look of a bike that was thrown together to trade-in and didn't have much heart or love in it. Like I said, I passed.

I did make a half-hearted offer on it. They were asking $6995. I said I'd be interested at $4K. (And even that seems high to me now). They countered with $5900 plus tax/license, and when I didn't jump on it, I got a nice handshake and the offer to come back and see them real soon. LOL. Actually, I'd mentioned I really like the Softail Slims and the salesman told me to give him a chance at the sale if I decided to go that way. I guess I'm satisfied with what I've got because even though I like the Slims...it's not enough to be motivated to buy one.

I wasn't planning to buy a bike. This one just popped up on 'radar'. But in my opinion it is way overpriced. My sense now, thinking about how it appeared, is it would not have been a good deal except at near basket-case prices. It just didn't look 'right'...if you know what I mean.

Thanks to all of you for your inputs.

Alan

Last edited by AlanStansbery; 11-30-2016 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:58 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Sorry to hear. Delkron cases are real good cases but if there's not enough there in appearance then it sounds like a good walk away. There are a lot of real sweat bikes out there for a lot less...

Old 11-30-2016, 07:20 PM
Eastcoast Jim
Tourer
Received 154 Likes on 101 Posts

The bike you want is a private owner who has had it for a few years - ridden it & fixed it - Eastcoast Jim

Quick Reply: Evo Addiction