EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Fork oil change going disastrously wrong

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 08:46 PM
Ozark Joe
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Fork oil change going disastrously wrong

Oh boy I got myself in a pickle. I tried to change the fork oil. I had already gotten to the point where the the headlights and the nacelle is off. Then I drained the fork oil. All's good to this point till I went to refill the fluid. I tried my MityVac to fill the fluid,no good. Tried a small medical syringe,no good. All I've been able to do is put more fluid on my garage floor than in the forks. I mean the hole is very small. Any suggestions to fill the fork,instead of art work on the floor?

Old 01-02-2017, 08:56 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 651 Posts

You pour in the oil from the top of the fork tube, not the hole it came out of. The top cap of the forks comes off (the octagon shaped cap)

Old 01-02-2017, 09:05 PM
Ozark Joe
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by misfitJason
You pour in the oil from the top of the fork tube,
That what I was doing,filling from the top.
not the hole it came out of.
I had already put the drain plug back in before I tried refilling.
The top cap of the forks comes off (the octagon shaped cap)
VERY TEMPTING.......but I was trying to refill without taking the front end apart any further. However that isn't working very well. What size is that nut?

Last edited by Ozark Joe; 01-02-2017 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:14 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,343 Likes on 1,549 Posts

Do you have a manual?
Unless someone has modified the forks it's pretty easy.
Lots of YouTube videos to help.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:23 PM
Ozark Joe
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by TSheff
Do you have a manual?
Yes but what it says and applying what it says is 2 different things.Sometimes it's vague.
Unless someone has modified the forks it's pretty easy.
The whole front end is from a Road King I suspect.
Lots of YouTube videos to help.
Tried that. Kinda hard to apply techniques to a Frankenstein.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:42 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

If your setup has the small threaded plug in the top fork cap and you're filling through that, you might be getting an air bubble acting like a stopper in there. Try pushing the forks down a bit (compressing), put a little fluid in, let the forks up to suck the fluid in, push the forks down, repeat. Can take a lot of patience. Helps to have a second person pushing on the forks - hold the brake while pushing forward, awkward to do by yourself.

As misfitjason said, you could take the retaining cap off, and it would be wide open to pour the oil in. Then you'd have the fun of compressing the spring and trying to get the caps started on again. That's not always so bad, but not all forks are the same.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:46 PM
Ozark Joe
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Imold
If your setup has the small threaded plug in the top fork cap and you're filling through that, you might be getting an air bubble acting like a stopper in there. Try pushing the forks down a bit (compressing), put a little fluid in, let the forks up to suck the fluid in, push the forks down, repeat. Can take a lot of patience. Helps to have a second person pushing on the forks - hold the brake while pushing forward, awkward to do by yourself.

As misfitjason said, you could take the retaining cap off, and it would be wide open to pour the oil in. Then you'd have the fun of compressing the spring and trying to get the caps started on again. That's not always so bad, but not all forks are the same.
Didn't think of trying to let the fork's suck the oil in. Here I've been trying to force it in.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:48 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,784 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold

Is what I'd do. Getting the cap back on is not as difficult as one would think. At this point, Joe should do this instead of fighting a losing battle.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:52 PM
Ozark Joe
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by QC
Is what I'd do. Getting the cap back on is not as difficult as one would think. At this point, Joe should do this instead of fighting a losing battle.
Good point,but not sure what size that cap is.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:52 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Depending on how many miles are on the forks you might be half *ssing the job. If there are 40k miles on those forks I'd take them apart and change the bushings and seals. Then I'd measure the fork oil volume (from the top) as opposed to putting in X amount of ounces. For less than a hundred fifty bucks you could do the job AND throw in a set of Progressive springs.

I've learned how to make a job go fast; skip the shortcuts.

The following users liked this post:
Shanebo (01-03-2017)

Quick Reply: Fork oil change going disastrously wrong