EVO All Evo Model Discussion
View Poll Results: What is the best all around tire?
Michelin Commander II
50.00%
Avon Cobra
23.33%
Metzeler M888 (these replaced the 880)
16.67%
Continental ?
0%
Pirelli Night Dragon
6.67%
Trojan
3.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Tires (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 07:00 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,784 Likes on 9,863 Posts

I voted MC IIs only cuz I just mounted up a set of ME888s this time around to see if they're any better. If not, I'll go back to the MC IIs.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:01 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Talking

Time for a chuckle there Mark - Dunlop were originally British old chap! A common view of American brand tyres, including modern Dunlop, is that mileage is king, at the expense of all other features. Hence we Europeans are grateful to some of the European brands that they are not slaves to that. Of course the only way to get any 'proof' is to try 'em - and to come over here to try our roads.....

In the meantime I'll stay with my Avons!

Old 01-05-2017, 08:46 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Time for a chuckle there Mark - Dunlop were originally British old chap! A common view of American brand tyres, including modern Dunlop, is that mileage is king, at the expense of all other features. Hence we Europeans are grateful to some of the European brands that they are not slaves to that. Of course the only way to get any 'proof' is to try 'em - and to come over here to try our roads.....

With all you people driving on the wrong side of the road I'd need an Abrams main battle tank to survive driving over there!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-05-2017, 10:22 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown

Understood bro.

Thats why I posted the link. They do make E3's here (US) which keeps our bros to the south workin. Roads ?? What are those ?

Old 01-05-2017, 10:24 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,702 Likes on 1,988 Posts

Only had one set of Avon "tyres" on a Yamaha many years back. I couldn't get them to balance so I could ride them. I ended up trashing them. No more Avons for me.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:33 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Red face

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
Only had one set of Avon "tyres" on a Yamaha many years back. I couldn't get them to balance so I could ride them. I ended up trashing them. No more Avons for me.
If we all took that approach we'd be riding around on bare metal rims - they've been fine for over 40 years on my Harleys!

Old 01-05-2017, 10:38 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Talking

Originally Posted by HKMark23
Understood bro.

Thats why I posted the link. They do make E3's here (US) which keeps our bros to the south workin. Roads ?? What are those ?
I don't recall who bought them out, but they haven't been British for quite some time now. I'm not sure they even make tyres here any more. Avons do, although owned by Cooper Tires and jolly good they are too. There are also lots of jolly good places to visit over here.....

Old 01-05-2017, 10:39 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Cool

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
With all you people driving on the wrong side of the road I'd need an Abrams main battle tank to survive driving over there!!!!!!!!!!
It's easy-peasy! Lots of us are ambidextrous, what with visiting Europe - you'll get used to it in no time!

Old 01-05-2017, 11:28 AM
LowriderHarold
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Avon

Avons for me.
Had Dunlops on the bike when I got it & had same on my shovel for years.
Old friend talked me into a set of Avons, & soon after rode to the coast .
On the way back, 6 hr ride , it rained like a cow pissing on a flat rock. Really bad, but I kept on trucking. Stayed on the high part on the interstate( ridge that bad roads have ruts from neglect).
Never bobbled, never broke loose, doing 70-75mph, all the way in.
Not saying another brand tire couldn't have done the same, but that night sold me on the Avons.
I'm the type of rider that when I find something that works, & works well, I tend to stick with it. I just like em.

Ride Safe,
Harold

Old 01-05-2017, 11:33 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

I voted for the Michelin's because that's what I put on last year and it was fine and I have another one waiting to go on this winter.

But I can't say I have much of a frame of reference. All I know about the Michelin is that it was way, way better than whatever 20 year old POS tire was on the bike when I bought it in 2015.

Quick Reply: Tires (Again)