Evoing Again

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 05:22 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,343 Likes on 1,549 Posts

Originally Posted by sparkplug600
here to 1989 FLHTCU 107000 MILES
Great - that gives me another source for info. I now know of 4 with 89 - 90's so if I run into any peculiar or model specific unique questions I may hit you guys up.

Old 01-10-2017, 02:29 PM
rivercityslim
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TSheff
Do you currently have it?
Yessir. The pic in my sig is from last summer.

Yours looks to be very stock - original pipes, air cleaner, riveted timing cover etc. That leads one to think that you still have the original Keihin butterfly carb with compliance fittings. '89 was the last year for that. The very first mod I made to mine when I got it was to replace that with a used CV carb and manifold. Just the beginning in a long list of upgrades, but it made a big change right off the bat. I think my compliance fittings were old and leaky, causing the thing to respond to throttle very sluggishly.

Old 01-10-2017, 02:35 PM
rivercityslim
Road Master

all the CB and associated harness is going away, as is audio to the rear. I may consider upgrades later
I did the same and never looked back. The CB was a joke; I never even tried it to see if it worked. Just got rid of it. The rear speakers did work, but seemed entirely unnecessary and didn't sound that great to begin with. I did upgrade the stereo and speakers in the fairing.

Old 01-10-2017, 03:04 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by rivercityslim
I did the same and never looked back. The CB was a joke; I never even tried it to see if it worked. Just got rid of it. The rear speakers did work, but seemed entirely unnecessary and didn't sound that great to begin with. I did upgrade the stereo and speakers in the fairing.
Just checked and it has 39K on it and yes it appears to be bone stock. They can't release it to me until the previous owner drops a check for his NEW TRIKE.
Yes
#1 lower fairings off
#2 Really good wash and degrease so I can start troubleshooting without getting too slimey.
#3 All the CB associated crap is going
#4 clean and test all electrical terminations
#5 Rebuild front air suspension
and who knows after that. Not planning to sell it, but already have people wanting it - Go Figure.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:35 AM
rivercityslim
Road Master

#1 lower fairings off
#5 Rebuild front air suspension
Actually the very first mod I made to mine was to remove the lowers, even before addressing the carb issues. However, when it got cold again I put them back on, as they really do work. I've since gotten to like them better. They help keep you dry in summer rainstorms and really make a difference when the temps drop below 60; even more so when you get down around 40. When it's in the 80's I use the highway pegs. I guess maybe in TX cold weather is less of a concern.

Front suspension: My air suspension was working as designed, but that doesn't mean it was working well. I left it alone for a couple of years, but eventually dumped the air in favor of Progressive springs with Ricor Intiminators. This was a big improvement in handling, but the ride was not as good as I hoped. After a few years I replaced that with Race Tech single rate springs with Race Tech emulators, and that has really smoothed things out while retaining the handling benefits. I forget exactly what I paid for the Race Tech stuff, but it was not a huge pricetag, especially given the results.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:01 PM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,816 Likes on 1,760 Posts

I trashed all the old audio and CB on mine right away too,

Tim, in case you don't, I have a FSM, if you need any wiring schematics or anything just holler, can scan and email.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:03 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Schex3x

Tim, in case you don't, I have a FSM, if you need any wiring schematics or anything just holler, can scan and email.
Thanks Schex. The first thing I always do is get a manual, so that's covered. and I don't let them go. They seem to come in handy helping others.

Bare necessities, safety, mechanically sound, and then cosmetics.
Probably going to have a degrease and contact cleaning weekend.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:03 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Schex3x

Thanks Schex. The first thing I always do is get a manual, so that's covered. and I don't let them go. They seem to come in handy helping others.

Bare necessities, safety, mechanically sound, and then cosmetics.
Probably going to have a degrease and contact cleaning weekend.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:15 AM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member

Here an update. Just cleaning, degreasing, and shedding the unwanted.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:51 AM
Retirementtoy
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like fun, now I'm missing my 88 more than before. Loved that thing.

Quick Reply: Evoing Again