EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Excited

Old 01-07-2017, 09:07 PM
WesM
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Excited

Thank you everyone for all the knowledge you've shared that I have searched through prior to becoming a supporter. I bought my first EVO (98 RKC) a couple months ago (put 1400 miles on in the winter so not too bad) and will be installing an EV27 hopefully this week if work permits. Looking forward to the results. I do NOT have a tuner yet which worries me a bit. Just wanted to thank y'all for what you share.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:11 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by WesM
Thank you everyone for all the knowledge you've shared that I have searched through prior to becoming a supporter. I bought my first EVO (98 RKC) a couple months ago (put 1400 miles on in the winter so not too bad) and will be installing an EV27 hopefully this week if work permits. Looking forward to the results. I do NOT have a tuner yet which worries me a bit. Just wanted to thank y'all for what you share.
Welcome to the forum.
Is your bike EFI or carbed???

The following users liked this post:
WesM (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 09:23 PM
WesM
Intermediate

It is EFI. It seems that isn't the best to most but it is what it is I suppose. The original owner supposedly had it tuned after doing stage 1. I can't find any identifying marks on the exhaust OR intake for what that's worth.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:28 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

Red injectors

WesM (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 09:31 PM
WesM
Intermediate

Is that a major undertaking to replace the injectors? I will do some searching in the meantime. Thank you

Old 01-08-2017, 12:45 AM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,813 Likes on 1,759 Posts
WesM (01-08-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 10:09 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,627 Likes on 842 Posts

Stage 1 is just a air cleaner set up, doubt if he spent $350 on a dyno.

At least a set of slip ons should compliment a cam install if the exhaust is stock, it is a package to make gains especially a EV27. EV13 is also a good cam for a touring bike if hauling heavy with curves, hills and 2 up.

The red injectors are part of the Evo SE Stage 3 package and carried on into the Twinkies(Twin Cam) with M&M efi. You will need to pull the intake manifold off to install them but not needed with a cam install if you use a tuner like the PC3, the PC3 tuner is a straight forward install but need a little computer savy to load the map, can be bought used for $50. If wanting a new tuner someone like Fuel Moto can supply one with a map loaded for your application, the newer PC5 is a autotune but needs O2 sensors which is a new exhaust system. Don't get scared with EFI, someone here will answer your questions or walk you thru a situation.

Something else is a tuner isn't needed with a red injectors install with the cams mentioned, a SE Stage 3 kit is a SE3 cam that is EV27 specs, air cleaner and a module that only information known is it raised the rev limiter and no map alterations. Red injectors will install more fuel with the current map injector control pulse width and cover more fuel needed, the SE Stage 3 was in my bike when I got it. Several ways to make fuel adjustments to your EFI.

Does your fast idle work?

98 RK is a good bike, all of the problems were figured out and the last of the Evo Road Kings

Old 01-08-2017, 08:28 PM
WesM
Intermediate

Thank yall for the link and for the input. They actually did a full header replacement (2-2) exhaust when they did the intake. And odd that you would ask about the fast idle, I do not believe it is working properly and JUST noticed it when I started it when it was really cold outside. I never even thought about it. I will say that it doesn't start quite as easy as other EFI RK's I've seen. It still requires a little throttle at first (I'm only assuming not normal). I've been looking at Fuel Moto's site. It looks good. I'm spacing out mods for as little impact on finances as possible. In time I would like to add 14-16" bars as well and a seat. Just looking for bang for the buck stuff at the moment. I will probably be ordering the floor board extenders soon and I did order the piece to eliminate the heal shift and scoot out the toe shifter. I liked the heal shifter but there really wasn't room for my size 13 boot.

Last edited by WesM; 01-08-2017 at 08:30 PM. Reason: add more
Old 01-08-2017, 08:48 PM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,813 Likes on 1,759 Posts

Check this out, simple adjustments could help get the fast idle in line.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:47 AM
rockhousebadboy
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by WesM
It is EFI. It seems that isn't the best to most but it is what it is I suppose. The original owner supposedly had it tuned after doing stage 1. I can't find any identifying marks on the exhaust OR intake for what that's worth.
The PO probably just had the dealer do a stage one flash to the ECM. If you have a good local dealer, they can look up your bike via the vin number and tell you anything that has been done to it by any Harley Dealer. If its the same as my 97 ECM you will need to know this when or if you order from fuel moto so they can get you the right map for you setup. Ordered a PCV from them and very satisfied.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Excited