EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Cam swap started today.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 07:00 AM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

If someone answers and says they did it and had no leaks, that doesn't mean yours won't. Depends on what is there for gaskets. At this point just replace the gaskets, I like James..

Make sure your on the base of the cam for the cylinder your on (hope you kept track of where the push rods go) ... As Texas said about tightening slowly, evenly, with large bolts. But you still have to swap the cam so keep the pics coming, good luck...
GW

Old 01-16-2017, 11:12 AM
tgaetto
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by glidein wide
If someone answers and says they did it and had no leaks, that doesn't mean yours won't. Depends on what is there for gaskets. At this point just replace the gaskets, I like James..

Make sure your on the base of the cam for the cylinder your on (hope you kept track of where the push rods go) ... As Texas said about tightening slowly, evenly, with large bolts. But you still have to swap the cam so keep the pics coming, good luck...
GW
I have kept track..and will pull the rest of the rocker assembly. Pics will come.. thanks!

Old 01-23-2017, 07:10 PM
tgaetto
Road Warrior

Getting ready to finish up this weekend. Finally freed up between being a dad, work and school. I bought the .108 pins and I'm at 2.7485 (after a remeasure and head clearing) on both old and new gears. I also picked up a dynatek ignition so I'm ready to pull the rest of the boxes and then reassemble.

It was 60 here Sunday so my daughter asked to go for a ride. I cleaned a path and dug out the bagger. I think we're both still smiling even though I remain in the neighborhood with her until she's a bit older!

Last edited by tgaetto; 01-23-2017 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:37 PM
tgaetto
Road Warrior

Anyone have ideas on how to touch up some of the wrinkle between the lifter block? It has flaked off and I'd like to "fix" while it apart

Old 01-24-2017, 05:49 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,742 Likes on 928 Posts

Find a spray can of wrinkle that matches, clean the area as best as possible, spray the wrinkle finish in a spray can cap and quickly touch up the area using a small brush like an artists brush (if it is a small area).

If larger, then clean, mask off and spray.

Have a heat gun or hair dryer in hand and apply some heat till you get the desired (matching) wrinkle texture.

I think moco sells touch up pens for the engine paint as well. YD

Old 01-24-2017, 06:50 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

Use a toothpick. If it's chips, the only place you want touch up on is the spot and the edge of chip. Puddle it just a slight bit high. Try you paint on a small scrap for control and let it dry for comparsion match. I do this all the time on hood nicks on cars. The clue to me any way is you are not making it perfect but better. If you get it on good paint, you can make spot bigger and make things worst.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 01-24-2017 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:38 PM
tgaetto
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Personally I think you're gonna need to.

You're gonna have a hell of a time compressing the rocker arms to put the rocker shafts back in if you don't go ahead and loosen the bottom rocker box.

If you plan on staying with the stock shafts (my preference) then remove the lower rocker box install a new gasket and use the larger bolts to compress the lifters 1/4 turn at a time during reassembly.

Depending on which jug you are reassembling make sure the piston is at TDC.
I like a challenge! I was simply trying to see if it had been a doable thing. Well it's doable and quite simple. I rotated the motor and was able to effortlessly slip the pins in. So with that I took the opportunity to mount the left tank and fire it. I let it run and mechanically it is all working. What an awesome motor to work with/on! I'll post a link to some
video I shot... timing it all with the marks makes it a snap!!

Old 01-25-2017, 07:57 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by tgaetto
I like a challenge! I was simply trying to see if it had been a doable thing. Well it's doable and quite simple. I rotated the motor and was able to effortlessly slip the pins in. So with that I took the opportunity to mount the left tank and fire it. I let it run and mechanically it is all working. What an awesome motor to work with/on! I'll post a link to some
video I shot... timing it all with the marks makes it a snap!!
Good to know.

Old 01-26-2017, 02:16 PM
tgaetto
Road Warrior

Here's a link to the first run....

i could watch those rockers all day!

Last edited by tgaetto; 01-26-2017 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:51 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

That's just too cool. You have just come up with a new item..Clear valve covers. Million dollar baby..Where is Bikerscum... perfect item for his products

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 01-26-2017 at 02:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Cam swap started today.