EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Crane Hi-4 single fire ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 01:40 PM
ppilotmike
Road Captain
Received 106 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Crane Hi-4 single fire ??

I found a Crane h-4 ignition behind my point cover. Is this a good ignition system? The coil that goes with it is also on the bike. I googled and read the installation instructions and am left wondering why the original ignition module is still riding around on the frame. The installer hooked up the VOES but I have to wonder why? As a side note there was nothing holding the carb on the manifold, it was just pushed into the rubber grommet????? I really love old motorcycles and marvel at what wonderful machines we used to build, and how they are able to withstand some of the crappy maintenance they received. Mike

Old 01-16-2017, 01:57 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,803 Likes on 3,311 Posts

Yes the Crane is a decent ignition. No one really removes the old ignition module it's really not necessary when you install a system like the Crane or Dyna they're an all in one unit. The VOES is still used by some because it does help in the cruising zone for gas mileage. However it can create a pre detonation issue though. Also the vacuum hose or even the voes it's self can cause a vacuum leak leading to drivability problems. I choose not to use it.

You might want to get an FSM and see what you need for a carb bracket. should not be like that.....

Old 01-16-2017, 02:21 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by ppilotmike
I found a Crane h-4 ignition behind my point cover. Is this a good ignition system? The coil that goes with it is also on the bike. I googled and read the installation instructions and am left wondering why the original ignition module is still riding around on the frame. The installer hooked up the VOES but I have to wonder why? As a side note there was nothing holding the carb on the manifold, it was just pushed into the rubber grommet????? I really love old motorcycles and marvel at what wonderful machines we used to build, and how they are able to withstand some of the crappy maintenance they received. Mike
If I remember right there should be some small brackets and bolts holding your back plate to the heads.

If you buy an S&S carb you bolt the carb to the intake with 2 large bolts.
A much better system IMO.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:29 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

The backing plate bolts directly into the heads. Without it, the carb is just dangling.

Old 01-21-2017, 11:34 AM
insp.clouseau
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have allways wondered...
Are these ignitions worth the buck?
You read good and bad stuff on them...
I can imagine if you have upped compression and other stuff, they do great..
but with a stage 1 or 2?

Old 01-22-2017, 07:09 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
If I remember right there should be some small brackets and bolts holding your back plate to the heads.
Originally Posted by 0maha
The backing plate bolts directly into the heads. Without it, the carb is just dangling.
^^^ What they said. Top breather has a plate that is part of the head breathers and the carb attaches to it. The OEM one has a few parts, but there are aftermarket ones that are a one piece design. http://www.jpcycles.com/1993-harley-...pport-brackets

Old 01-22-2017, 07:17 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by insp.clouseau
I have always wondered...
Are these ignitions worth the buck?
I've had the Dyna 2000 on my 93 FLHS for the past 15 years. No problems whatsoever. It has select-able timing curves, which will also allow the engine to rev above the OEM module. Really nice for those times when you want to 'get on it'. IIRC, mine is set for ~6000 rpms before it cuts out. Only rev'd it that high a couple of times, and when it cuts out, you know it. Definitely something you want, IMO, if you're looking to get all the horsepower the engine can deliver.