EVO All Evo Model Discussion

How do you remove the oil pump shaft bushing in this situation?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 03:49 PM
pcua28
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IBDAGRIZ
I own two of them, you'd think I might know, but I put motors in with the pumps attached. I am lost though as I thought it should go in while in the frame. Sucks if not.

Griz
Can't see any other way, not because I want to pull, to get the shaft out. Pump is off the bike, just the shaft remains and it's longer than the clearance there. Just want to know how to replace the oil pump shaft bushing.

Old 01-16-2017, 03:54 PM
pcua28
4th Gear

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
So you have both layers of the oil pump off the case and the only thing you have left is the shaft through the bushing correct?
Correct. And the shaft is to long to pull out with tranny in way. I am going to pull the motor, no problem there. Problem is how to remove the bushing for the shaft. Just need to know easiest way to remove it.

Old 01-16-2017, 03:55 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Owtlaw
It's the same. You helped my buddy George figure it out, and that was a touring bike.
I talked to him and I think he figured it out but to the best of my knowledge he never finished the job so I don't know if it worked.

I wish I could have been there to actually see what he was doing.

Until I actually do it I won't know for sure.

Old 01-16-2017, 04:00 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by pcua28
Correct. And the shaft is to long to pull out with tranny in way. I am going to pull the motor, no problem there. Problem is how to remove the bushing for the shaft. Just need to know easiest way to remove it.
In the other thread John (miacycles) was talking about welding a nut on the shaft and using a slide hammer to get the shaft out.
I'm willing to bet the bushing is gonna come out with the shaft.

Old 01-16-2017, 04:08 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,805 Likes on 3,312 Posts

In the other thread John (miacycles) was talking about welding a nut on the shaft and using a slide hammer to get the shaft out.
Yea as far as I know that bushing is a press fit.

Old 01-16-2017, 04:11 PM
pcua28
4th Gear

I am going to slide hammer the shaft out. The shaft is out as far as it can go now being the tranny case is in way. I figured the bushing would come also, but so far it hasn't moved any with the shaft almost out. As tight as shaft is to the bushing it should have moved with it but not happening.

Old 01-16-2017, 04:13 PM
pcua28
4th Gear

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Yea as far as I know that bushing is a press fit.
If that's the case, pressed fit, it will not be removed if new pump shaft slides in without resistance.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:13 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

OK when this happens you are in for a ride - the cases i would split and the reason is you need to heat the 1/2 block up to 200 / 250 degrees, if you dont you run the risk of removing so much metal as you slide hammer the 3 inch bushing out the new one Just might spin when its installed and the engine gets hot again -- seen it not guessing

the new bushing needs to be sized and it will need to be with an adjustable reamer or a fixer type - .4136 fixed reamer using machine fluid will set it at its size, but it costs to have one made special just for one job, you need to go 1/4 turn at a time using an adjustable and a inside ball mike will be handy

install the new bushing after re heating the block again ( CAUTION ) denting the oil pump mounting face cant happen -- good luck

Old 01-17-2017, 08:30 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,905 Likes on 17,472 Posts

When the shaft's taken a hard enough hit to bend and lock in there the ones I've wrestled with the bush has come out with the shaft .

OP get a good light and the magnify eyes on and look close around the boss where the shaft & bush comes through the cases inside the cam chest, look for possible hairline cracks. Also if you R&R the bushing get the calipers and do some measuring as you may have to ream the bush to size after driving it in, doesn't take much to distort them.

Edit , Whoops John beat me to it while typing .....